1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are the smoothest flat strings made?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by smoothdave, Aug 12, 2012.

1. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    Several years ago I strung up my bass with a set of flats that have gold nuts and no silk. They are amazingly smooth strings, and I love them. I could have sworn they were Chromes.

But last month when I was stringing up another bass and wanted the same strings, I ordered a set of Chromes only to discover that they were not the same as what I have on that bass. They aren't nearly as smooth or shiny.

The only other strings I can remember buying were Fender 9050 stainless strings, so I ordered a set of those, but those aren't as smooth either.

Can anyone either identify super smooth flats from several years ago with gold nuts and no silk, or alternatively, suggest the smoothest flats available today?

Thank you.

2. jlr

jlr

Jan 15, 2006
    Rocheport, Missouri
    Don't know about 'smoothest', but my faves are Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats. They're a bit brighter than Chromes, with less tension.

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    TIs are on the rough side. La Bellas are the smoothest I've used.

btw, TIs are more mid range present than Chromes, but Chromes are brighter, certainly out of the box.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    +1
    Deep Talking Flats

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I think Pyramids take that prize.

6. sharpbass

sharpbass Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2011
    Yep. La Bella Deep Talkin' Flats.

I have not used all brands, but they feel smoother than any I have tried. Even smoother feel than tapes IMO.

7. FretlessMainly

FretlessMainly

Nov 17, 2010
    Tapewounds are not all created equal. I doubt that there's a string more smooth than Roto TruBass 88s. Their smooth factor goes to 11.

8. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    I don't think the Roto TruBass 88's are the smoothest of all. The plastic can be grabby. Polished metal wins every time.

I've played the following flats:
    Roto TruBass 88
    LaBella DTB
    TI Flats
    Pyramid Golds
    GHS Precision Flats
    Fender 9050CL

Pyramids are the smoothest hands down.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    After playing a set for a while, your fingers will polish the string making it smoother than it was when it was fresh. Maybe you just like the broken in feel?

10. Giorgetto

Giorgetto Fingers on 4 Flatwounds Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Near Tinseltown
    Artist Relationship: Wilkins-Ampeg-La Bella
    The smoothest flats I've used are La Bella 760FS's. Pyramid Gold's might be a fraction smoother but I don't care for the very short decay. Chromes are also very nice strings but overall....I prefer the La Bellas.

11. Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Right now, I have three basses strung with flats: TI Flats, LaBella DTB 760FS, and Chromes. Of those, I'd say the LaBella's are the smoothest. Someday I'll try the 0760M Jamerson/Dunn, or who ever else gets associated with them.

Why do they have to be the smoothest? Won't the strings that produce the tone you are desiring do?

12. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Sadowsky Black Labels are the smoothest, then Pyramid Gold Flats.

13. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    A very astute observation. :) That is the most important thing.

The answer is that I love the tone that I am getting from these unknown strings. They sound fantastic, and I want to try them on every bass I own. The problem is that I can't describe the tone in concrete terms so that you guys can identify them. I can, however, describe them as smoother than Chromes or 9050's.

After reading all of your responses, I suddenly had a vague recollection of possibly ordering a set of strings from Carvin...and somewhere in my brain is the notion that Labella made Carvin branded strings for a while.

That could be it. :hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Thank you for all of your help. I'm going to try the Labella's along with several of your suggestions, but first the Labella's. I think that was it.

Best day ever.

Except for new bass day, of course.

14. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
  15. southpaw420

southpaw420

Aug 25, 2007
    From what Ive heard, those are the same as GHS Precision flats. They do have purple silk.

16. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Exactly right. They are GHS flats.

17. Hearsay is misleading! :D I've heard that Carvin gets their flats from LaBella and Lakland gets their flats from GHS. GHS have purple silk. The OP seems to have purchased the Carvin/LaBella flats. I was going to suggest GHS, as their Precision Flats are as smooth as I've played.

18. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    To complicate things, I heard Carvin used to use LaBella but now rebrands GHS flats. My memory is not reliable so don't holm me to this, please.

19. smoothdave

smoothdave

May 24, 2009
    ACK!!!!!!! :help:

This is killing me. The Carvin strings shipped last night, so I guess I'll just have to see. I emailed them back to ask them if they've made any changes, but it's water under the bridge now.

I am going to try some of the other suggestions as well. Thank you for those.

20. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Whether they are GHS Precisions, or La Bella DTB, you will be getting a great set of flats. The GHS Precisions are not as smooth as La Bellas, but I love the way they sound -- very old school!