What are the thickest gauge low b's made?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tom Crofts, May 8, 2001.

1. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I just bought a 'pre-owned' Ibanez Soundgear SR305 and the guy in the shop said he challenged himself to get it set up with the focus on a great B string, so he fitted it with a 135, are there any bigger b's, cos he said he couldn't find any bigger and gave me 2 free 135's because hardly anyone sells them, they are Rotosound.

I'm sorry about such a crap thread but i was interested...
  2. A thicker gauge than .135 will just sound muddier. Try using taperwounds--you lose some bottom but the definition is SO much better.
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Best for B would be :D .128 or .130 - normally.
    Some basses may require thicker, and there are standard strings at .135, .140, .145, and some in between. The thickest "semistandard" string I have encountered, in my present quest for a .155, is .150.
  4. I'm pretty sure that JT doesn't use anything heavier than .145 for his 7-string Conklins tuned down to F#.
  5. There used to be a D'Addario XL .145. I don't know if they still make them but it'd be worth a look. I remember it sounding pretty good, but because of the size, it's hard to fit through a lot of 'openings' (bridges, posts, etc.).
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i use a .150" for the low F# and a .135" for the low B, both by Dean Markley (sr2000, taperwound).

i would prefer a larger string for the F#, but the .135" is awesome for a low b. in my opinion, of course. :D
  7. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I agree, although I find it can get a bit wallowy when I pound it... But then I'm pretty crappy, that's not modesty, I really am. :) But I'm practising loads. I have GCSE's now though and my parents are gonna take my bass away when study leave starts. In fact I'm in my Information Studies exam now, hehe.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've gone to a length of #3 re-bar. It's a little stiff, but I've never felt that I had a "floppy B." YMMV.
  9. yebb.. snakeskins, if I´m not mistaken... but I think they´re more considered for a low F# a la JT...
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah - those are actually Dean Markley strings - sr2000's to be exact, with purple silk windings instead of gold.
  11. Munji, how many wraps around the tuner post are you going with the rebar? Have you noticed them going dead if you stretch them out too much? I heard they can be a little delicate.
  12. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    TI's B is a .136
  13. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i have a warwick black label B string - .135 taperwound.

it's AWESOME.

sounds damn close to my DR strings, and the .135 vs the .125 makes it sound so much more focused and deep.