Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are the thickest strings made for a 4-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DeCayING, Dec 14, 2003.

1. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    I've been searching online for the thickest strings I can find for my four-string. The thickest I've found are 60-115 black-coated acoustics by Carvin. Does anyone know of any nickel or steel strings around this gauge?

2. You could buy a light 5-string set and try the low strings?

Or... not? :p

3. DeCayING

DeCayING

Jun 2, 2003
    Kentucky
    That's what my friend suggested to me but I guess I'd rather just have a thick-ass four-string set.

4. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

5. Are you looking to tune standard, or lower?

If you want thick strings you should invest in a sub-contra bass.

6. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    The Carvin/LaBella .060-.115s are black nylon tapewounds, not "coated". They aren't high tension, the steel core is normal size, the nylon wrap makes it thicker than normal.

But if you use extra thick (not tapewound) strings like .065-.130 and tune your bass normally, you're likely to stress its neck beyond what it was designed for. If you damage the neck, the manufacturer is likely to call it abuse.

7. Couldn't, say, a graphite neck handle that kind of tension?

I'm still failing to see a reason why one would want strings thicker than .60-.115. Just get a 5-string. :rolleyes:

8. DW

DW

Jun 22, 2000
    Maybe, if it's thick enough or the profile is designed to take the tension. But whether it's wood or graphite, chances are it's designed for a range of normal tension. They aren't going to make the neck profile uncomfortable just to accommodate somebody who thinks it's kewl to play with an extra 100 lbs. of tension.