Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are these black strings I've been seeing?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    ???

Seen a few basses here and there which have sparked my curiosity.

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    Likely DR Black Beauties, or else Black Diamond Electric Blacks.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    they could also be Black nylon tapewounds...

4. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I was thinking I had heard they were called Black Beauties.

Just did a search and it says they are coated to protect from the elements of sweaty hands and such......is there any other difference?

5. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    They're coated, similarly to Elixirs. They generally keep a brigher, newer tone much longer than non-coated strings. Some downsides are that once the coated starts to flake, your tone gets kinda choked, and for some people, the slicker feel isn't for them. I personally like coated, but you may not.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    I just wanted to mention that the Black Beauties DON'T feel like Elixirs to me. They just felt like strings, and the tone didn't change at all as the coating came off, which it did slowly. Black Beauties, are, IMO a much better product, the more so because they're based on a much better string. The difference I notice is that they retain their "new" sound and feel much longer than a regular string, or other coated strings.

7. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    how long did they last before they started flaking?

i just ordered me a pair, so hopefully I'll like them.

8. DannyB

DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    I just got a set of Black Beauties today. They feel pretty different to me, but then again I generally use Ernie Ball strings (or Fender flats.. flame me, but the Fenders are actually really nice).

IMO, The Black Beauties have kind of a plastic feel to the touch, but when you play them they are like butter. The .105-.045 set of Black Beauties feel less tense than a .100-.45 set of EB's. They play easy and the tone is great.

I am not overly thrilled with the way they look on my bass.. my wife says it kinda looks like a Fisher-Price bass now... but I don't play to look cool. I'd definitely recommend them on tone (a touch on the bright side), playability (you can slide the whole fretboard with ease) and feel (once you get used to them). They still feel less unnatural than Elixirs, and that is a good thing. And they sound better for quite a few pennies less ($28 at the local shop, probably less online).
    I recommend them, if you don't mind the look.

EDIT: So these comments were with the practice rig. I plugged into my Ashdown rig and honestly..... These are the best sounding strings I've used. I think I might have found my new "regulars"... Sorry Ernie :bassist:

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Got me a set the other day also. I really like them so far! They do have a lot less tension which I like because the bass i had them on the action is high so it worked out perfectly.

10. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    Nylon Tapewounds + Fretless = amazing tone and looks.

[​IMG]

11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    Alameda, CA
    Forgive my total ignorance about nylon strings, but how do they work with regular electric pickups? Do they have a steel core? And who makes them? Thanks for any info, Bob

12. Rav

Rav

Dec 29, 2004
    Aurora, IL
    To work with inductive pickups they would have to have metal in them.

Plastic polymers have a distinctive non effect on magnetic fields. Unless of course all laws of the universe changed and I wasn't informed.

-Rav

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, steel core. Rotosound is the mos prominent make that I know of, though fender makes them too.

14. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Do they have a hex core or a round core? and are the wraps under the coating Stainless or nickel.
    Thanks Tim

15. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    La Bella has a nylon tapewound too..

16. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    DR Black Beauties, Red Devils, Peacock Blues, and soon to be released Silver Stars all have a ROUND core, just like DR Hi-Beams. These strings are coated versions of the Hi-Beams that happen to have color. So they are a stainless steel roundwound on a round core with a coating on them.

17. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    Thanks Rsautrey for the reply the DR websight didn't have that info last time I looked. Tim

18. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    A long time ago (maybe 20 years or so) I had a black set made by Kaman.They were nickel roundwounds (as I recall) and the black surface treatement-not very stable-went off in a couple of months.
    Lately,I heard that Kaman went down and they were bought by some other major US company.

19. growlysound

growlysound

Jul 7, 2005
    I have a set of GHS Black Nylon Tapewounds on my Jazz, and the tone is *amazing*, with plenty of p-like thump. I highly recommend them. Much better than either the Fender or Labella tapewounds that sound really bright.

20. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Just an update. I put the black beauties on my Ibanez TR600 and they sound amazing! I really like the feel and tension they have.