Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are these pedals used for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by stinkyrypoo, Jul 20, 2002.

1. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA
    What are these pedals used for? If anybody knows please let me know. Are they usefull? What will they do to my sound? Somebody told these would be fun.

BOSS --OC-2 (dual octave?)
    NS-2 (noise supressor?)
    LMB-3 (bass limiter enhancer?)
    GEB-7 (bass equalizer?)

P.S.
    Is the BOSS synth (SYB-3) worth (Musicans Freind $) $230.00. I just thought it was crazy because all of boss' single effects are normally under $150.00. And is the AUTOMAGIC earthquake a good bass wah? (Musicans Freind $260.00)]

2. I have used, or still currently use the majority of what you are asking about. Here's the facts:

Boss NS-2 will act as a noise gate (eliminate excess hiss from your signal) or silent tuning mute (while still reducing noise; this is my application). It also provides 9vDC out to power 4 other pedals. I use the Boss 3-space pedal board with the NS-2 as the power supply. It powers a TU-8 tuner, the SYB-3 (more in a bit) and CEB-3 bass chorus.

The OC-2 will give you 2 sub-tones; an octave down, and 2 octaves down. Generaly the -2 octave is useless for bass. Blending in the right amount of -1 octave can give you a thick tone, or possibly minimize/eliminate your need for a low B string.

The GEB-7 is nice if you want a different tone at the press of a switch, be it for solo boosting, a slap contour, or for your alternate axe.

The LMB-3 is a limiter/enhancer, with the "enhance" being the application of a distinct EQ curve that rounds out the tone. Limiting keeps your ampr from distorting or clipping when slapping, or in the case of low-mid freaks like me, will allow you to milk more volume out of less wattage in a rock situation.

You will find the SYB-3 to be versatile, but not the ultimate pedal of its kind due to the shoddy tracking of certain modes. Nonetheless, it's a good specialty pedal with a decent touch-wah sound. If you need some dance-synth tones, are trying to eliminate keyboards from your band, or just wanna spice up your playing without a big multiFX box, this may be it. Try e-bay & the used market, as you can get a SYB-3 for $150 or less that way. You can always get the owner's manual via pdf from Roland's website. My uses for SYB-3: synth-solo sounds, including the Emerson Moog solo sound from "Lucky Man"; getting the attack sound on "Tom Sawyer"; "shooting" the audience with a "laser gun" during my solo showcase (hint: tape a laser pointer to the headstock of a Fender or any other bass with a non-tilted headstock).

Alas, I am unfamiliar with the wah pedal you mention, but I hope that the rest of the above elightens.

3. stinkyrypoo

stinkyrypoo Guest

Jul 1, 2002
    north florida, USA