Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are these things that came with my strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Chasarms, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have very recently found myself in possession of a brand spanking new set of Super Sensitive Supremes. I am most eager to try them out, and I plan to string the bass up with them as soon as I get the chance.

I also just got a flat chromesteel G string so, I want to try it with my Obligatos before I remove them.

Anyway, included with Each string is a little felt washer. I have seen these before, but never one for every string. What goes into deciding whether or not to use these? I have never used them before.

Also included is a little piece of soft metal, 1" or so, with G string. It looks like a piece of tubing that has been ripped in two so as to create sort of a cupped ribbon. What's the deal with this?

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    You thread the felt onto the strings so that it sits against the ball to prevent damage to the tailpiece. For some reason I have always liked the sound better with the felt on. The little piece of metal slips under the G on the bridge groove. I think it raises the strings slightly....I have no idea what it would do for tone. I doubt it is like a ring filter.

3. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Hi-
    The felt washers, I'm pretty sure, go around the ball end of the strings to prevent them from cutting up the tailpiece. There has been some discussion about them having a slight damping effect on the sound/feel.... or not. I saved the felt from my obligatos and put them on my spirocores. I think it may have some effect since the spiros aren't as bright as I remember them being, but it could be my bass. I don't know about the metal thing. Francois?
    Let me know how you like those supremes for arco and pizz, I've been thinking of trying a D and G. For some reason, I think they might be similar to superflexibles.
    -Del

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    FWIW, physically, they are very different. A superflexible is very similar to a spirocore in the way it feels to the touch, in the wrapper that is, it looks very similar as well in that is tends to have a less sheen. In fact, if just examining one, I would think it was a spiro if I didn't see the silks.

These supremes are VERY smooth to the touch and have a fairly brilliant chromed finish. Almost like the flat chromesteel that I just bought to replace my Obligato G or a more traditional orchestra string like a Flexocor.

How this translate the tone character of the string, I have no clue. I've never even tried superflexs on my bass. For the most part, I stay way from all the Thomastik stuff.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I think its purpose is to provide a well rounded support for the string.
    Pirastro was putting similar things, although much better made, with the steel E strings until a few years ago...
    I also recently noticed they (Pirastro) don't put the strings anymore in a waxed paper pouch inside the paper envelope...
    Seems they're cutting costs...

6. delbass

delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    I have E&A spiro and D&G superflexibles on once of my basses, and you're right, I can't tell the difference excepts for the silks and sound....a nice match feel wise I think. I was just thinking the sound might be similar due to the multi stranded core, but the windings differ. Nickel and chromesteel must sound different. Maybe a little mellower? Let me know how they sound arco if you try them.

7. The metal thingy has 3 purposes: one is to prevent the G string from cutting into the bridge groove, the other is to provide a surface for the string to glide on when tuning ( you can lubricate the tube ) and the third is to ease the string angle on the bridge top if you have a tall bridge and the saddle is not raised.
    All this to prevent the G string breakage on top of the bridge.

Also, if you had, say, gut strings, and the grooves on the top of the bridge are wide, the metal tube will fit into that groove and house the smaller diameter string comfortably, thus saving you the work of reshaping the top.

R2

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I am waiting on a compensated TP and a new nylon tailgut to come in the mail. So, I'll probably wait until I replace that before I try them.

I am expecting a more mellow tone out of them based on my past experiences with slab wires.

With BG, the differences between a nickel string and a SS string are just that. A nickel string (like a sunbeam) has a more midtone heavy, warmer tone with more rounded highs than does a steel string like a SR2000. Steel will provide more clarity and definition in the bottom end but the highs may be shrill.

How is this translate to DB, I'll have to figure out as I go along.