Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are trills?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by slapcracklepop, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. slapcracklepop


    Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Title says it all. Thanks :bassist:
  2. Earthday


    Sep 22, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Hammering on and pulling off in rapid succession. I'm guilty of totally abusing these in my playing, because a well placed trill sounds so good and is so easy.
  3. slapcracklepop


    Jun 28, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Oh so theyre just hammerons/pulloffs?

    Sweet, thanks
  4. LiquidMidnight


    Dec 25, 2000
    Well, on the most basic level, yes. A trill is written in a lot of classical music, and it usually denotes a rapid alternation between the written note and a note that's either 1/2 of a whole step above it. Trills written in standard notation are not given any note duration.
  5. Ask the guitar player.