What are we liking for a volume booster?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Lowend65, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I'm looking for a stompbox to give me a little extra volume during solo sections and such.
    In the past, I've used the Seymor Duncan Pickup Booster (mine is an older version) - but it's really noisy on my current pedalboard and clips my amp.

I hate volume pedals as I don't like the moving target for finding correct volume levels.

Anyone have another "solo booster" they like?

2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like you’re looking for a clean boost. If so, I highly recommend the Keeley bassist compressor limiter.
    It can easily be set to provide plenty of boost with no compression. It’s super clean, well-built, and should you ever need it, it can do a little limiting and compression for you too.

MYLOWFREQ, halech54 and Pocket4 like this.
  3. Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Ironically - I already have a Keeley Bassist that I run as an "always on" compressor

MYLOWFREQ and Zbysek like this.
  4. TC Electronics Spark Mini
    MXR Micro Amp
    Xotic EP Booster
    MXR M293 Mini Booster
    Earthquaker Arrows
    Henretta Mr. White
    Mooer Pure Boost

Or any EQ pedal with just the EQ flat and the gain boosted.

31HZ and Zbysek like this.
  5. Bufalo

Bufalo Funk in the Trunk Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Harrisburg, PA
    Spark mini at about 9 o'clock. Just enough. It's got WAY more if anyone needs it.

6. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In that case, maybe this one? 80 dB of boost on tap
    Ohnoho Blowing Up
    Ohnoho Blowing Up | Doomgaze Pedals | Reverb

7. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Bramofon Effects makes a nice and affordable clean boost called Plucky Sidekick.

8. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Xotic Bass RC Booster.

9. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    I'll second @Mo'Phat on the MXR Micro Amp. Simple. Does what it does without a lot of thinking required.

10. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    TC Spark

jdh3000 and Al Kraft like this.
  11. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    I'm a little into keeping things simple--but not really, read on. I use active basses and the onboard preamps work such that I can keep the volume knob on my bass backed off a little bit, so if I want a bit of a boost one thing I can do is just turn up the volume knob. Easy.

But, that's overly simplistic. I also use a Mesa Subway+ preamp, which has a boost switch and I use that also. Which one I choose depends on the sound I'm going for: my bass runs first into a FEA DB-CL compressor, and then through everything else until it hits the preamp. So, turning up the volume knob on the bass actually has the effect of making it louder but also driving the sound further into compression, whereas hitting the boost switch on the Subway+ makes it louder without the extra compression. Depending on the sound I'm after at that moment I'll use one technique or the other.

Tom

12. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    My Broughton Messenger has a nice boost function

Phil60, jbhaugh and Zbysek like this.
  13. Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    That Spark-Mini is lookin pretty good for $49.

jdh3000 and Al Kraft like this.
  14. Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    For the record, this is near the end of a pedalboard - and I'd mixed up the Seymor Duncan (which I had stolen a few years back) for the EHX LPB-1.

117222110_10222831230239311_8474107829441255369_n.jpg

jdh3000 and Rolling Thunder like this.
  15. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I have a built in switch in my bass, that gives 10db boost any time.

Helix likes this.
  16. TC Spark Mini is a really nice and clean totally transparent boost with a momentary function option built in at a great price. I am currently using mine to add a bit of oomph to push a LBA2020 Instrument Transformer in my recording chain. Others i know use it as a gain to push a tube amp to breakup saturation, or for a momentary boost for a solo or a lick.
    The bigger Spark is a very tasty overdrive.

For a vintage tone boost I really like an EchoPlex or EP voiced boost I have a Mosky Xp that is cheap and tasty.

My other favorite boost is the Durham Sex Drive but it is more of a special sauce tone enhancer than a simple boost, something you might be tempted to leave on all the time it is sooo good.

jdh3000 and Tom Baker like this.
  17. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2007
    San Francisco
    I use Markbass mini boost, with the silly VPF thing turned all the way off.
    it does exactly what it is supposed to do...clean boost, as much as you want. small footprint too, which is nice.
    I use it just before the Tonehammer, and it sounds good.

18. Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  19. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    +1 for TC Electronics Spark Mini.

jdh3000 likes this.
  20. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Boss Bass Driver is what I use.
    bb-1x_top_gal.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021