1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are we paying for in an electric bass/guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yogen, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    Yeah, I mean, at least on guitar, I can get a $1000 guitar with the same specifications as a $2000+ guitar.

I suppose there's more "value" on bass guitars for the wood works.

So exactly, what are we paying for?

2. FileBass

FileBass

May 9, 2012
    really? u can get the same pickup with two different prices? im not sure how guitar industry works

3. The "little things" are what I feel the higher valued basses offer. Hardware, tuners, wiring, nuts, bridges, frets. Then going up into electronics, necks, woods, and above all, name and reputation.

4. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Woods
    Hardware
    Electronics
    Labor (this is probably what will vary the most. CNC vs hand made basses)
    Quality Control

5. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    I will be so glad when school starts again.

Edit: What is the difference between a Fiat 500 and a Porsche 911?

6. Y'all forgot to mention the name on the headstock. That you also pay for.

7. I'm unfamiliar with which mfg. offers a $1000 guitar with exactly the same specs, materials and build in all regards as their $2000 model.

I'd sure appreciate knowing who so I never have to overpay again. :rolleyes:

Whether it's a bass or a guitar there are differences between a $1000 model and a $2000 model. Maybe not enough to justify the price difference for some models but there is a difference if nothing more than a little more spit and shine the marketing department can brag on to boost the price.

(And the name on the headstock too)

8. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    The labour costs of the person operating the CNC machine.

9. Big mark

Big mark

Jun 12, 2010
    Soulman, the ESP Snakebite Vs the LTD Snakebite. Exactly the same spec. That is the exception though not the norm

10. I really want a Squier Classic Vibe, #1 for price, #2 because they are really good basses for the price. However, if I had the $1300 and a choice to save $1000 for the CV or buy an MIA, i'd go for the Fender, no doubt. I would still want the real thing, with the real name on the headstock. Maybe because i'm materialistic and want to justify my pathetic self, but I would want all that goes with the real deal. Because I do believe it's worth it. Besides that, 30 years from now I could sell the Fender at a markup if it was in good shape. The Squier, who knows.

11. As is with anything....cars, homes, guitars.

It's worth has much as someone is willing to pay for it, not usually associated with value.

12. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    Same spec on paper.. But not same fret work, attention to the nut, one made in china, one made in Japan, better attention to detail, probably a better finish and more select woods etc.

Example, I have an ibanez atk prestige ($2200) on paper almost the same specs as and atk 200 ($500). It is exactly as I've written above..

13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Signaling, which is often worth the money.

14. Ha! +1000.....come on September!

15. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    The colour? xD:p

16. Yogen

Yogen

Jul 15, 2012
    I'll come hard as ever with the most stupid questions I can come up with, maybe I'll dare ask what a bass is

This is a good answer, thank you.

Never mind, I probably won't ever come back

17. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Well not trying to be rude, but the answer is easy : The way of building! That's why those import models are always cheaper then the original one. Not only the way of building counts, but also the selected woods are importnant. So the specs can be the same (look at Gerald Veasley's signature bass for example : handmade by the best japanese luthiers and has a pricetag of 5000 dollar, the import model, is almost completly build by machine's in massproduction, cost about 1100 dollar) but there is still a lot of difference in sound and feeling :p

18. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    1) Welcome to Talk Bass.
    2) You need thick skin to play in this sand box.
    3) Never let a few old sour grapes ruin your day.
    4) You do get to a point of "diminishing returns" which will vary based on personal needs/perceptions.

19. Aw, Shucks !

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    According to the OP, none, I suppose. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.