What are ya'll reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Oct 26, 2003.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    This hasn't been done for a while.

Anyone read any good books lately? I've recently taken a liking to books again and I'm looking for some suggestions.
  2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I don't know if you'd call it a book per se, but I'm reading Neil Gaiman's "Sandman: Endless Nights" right now. It's great so far.

I'm also trying to finish "What Painting Is" by James Elkins-a book that describes the activity of painting by using alchemical references.
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
  4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Boo! Hisss! Your moderatorial position has now been revoked!! :D
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    too bad I'm not an OT mod, because in fact, that response just shows that I am doing my job :spit:

at any rate, I'm in-between books right now, I've gotten so many recommendations recently, as well as gifts, I don't really know where to start.

I don't really like to be reading more than 2 books at a time, and I have about 8 or 9 in the queue, Also, I'd rather play bass most times anyway:eek:
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Choice: A Fable of Free Trade and Protectionism by Russell Roberts. Sure, this one's sort of required reading for my Econ class, but I'm enjoying it (perverse, I know). I've recommended it to several of my friends just starting out in thier Econ studies, and it's helping them alot.
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Recently finished the latest Dune book. Not bad. Well, quite good. Tough act to follow though, and they're cranking them out 1 per year. There are some things missing from them, I think.

Kinda stalled in the beginning of Burster by Michael Capobianco - it wasn't bad, other things came along though. Will probably pick that back up now.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Virgil's Aeneid.

Cheap knock-off of Homer's Odyssey if you ask me.
  9. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Awakening to The Sacred, Lama SuryaDas
  10. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    "Across the Nightingale Floor" by Lian Hearn and "Cisco Voice over IP, Frame-Relay and ATM". I've only just started the Nightingale Floor and am quite enjoying it so far.
  11. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As always, I've got several books "on the boil". The main ones are The Miracles of Exodus (Charles Humphreys - archaeology / history) and Cryptonomicon (Neal Stephenson - my second time through this fascinating novel).

12. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Ooh! Ooh! One of my all time favourites! Unfortunately I lent my copy to a friend who I haven't seen for over a year. :(
    May have to buy another copy. :mad:
  13. The last book I read in its entirety was 'Bored of the Rings'....

I'm currently working on 'The Silmarillion' and flicking through 'Bill' the Bill Connolly biography.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought that - there were some good stories and great artwork - but I didn't like the Despair one, which took up a lot of space and which I found depressing - although maybe that was the point!!! ;)

I just finished "the Changeling" by Roger Zelazny and have started "The Machine Crusade" - Dune prequel by Brian Herbert& Kevin J. Anderson.
  15. Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    "Elements of Stlye"
    --Strunk & White
  16. I really haven't had time lately to read anymore...so I guess I'll choose the MusiciansFriend magazine.
  17. "The Brothers Karamazov" by Fjodor Dostojevski...and I have "Neuromancer" lying around open somwehere...and lots of other stuff I was reading but forgot about
  18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Physics of Immortality, by Frank J. Tipler.

The author is attempting to prove the existence of God and the rusurrection of the dead through physics. Heavy stuff.:eek:
  19. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Sweet! I gotta get that!

Have you checked out "The Tao of Physics" by Fritjof Capra?
  20. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Chosen Prey by John Standford