1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What Are You Doing About

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by bluewine, Dec 14, 2011.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    We have seen many threads about the auditioning process and how to identify opportunities that match what your looking for in a band.

While there are many guys here that are in ideal originals and cover bands or solo project that they are completely happy with.

On the other hand there are some of you that are unhappy about what their doing musically.

My question is, what are you doing about it?

Anything is valid even if your doing nothing or evaluating the direction you want to take.

2. I'm spending all my valuable time trolling TalkBass instead of learning songs, practicing, networking and expanding my marketability as a musician... :rolleyes: :p:cool:

3. HeadyVan Halen

HeadyVan Halen

Jun 11, 2010
    I listen to anything bluewine says...or types for that matter.

4. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    at my age it is important that i choose the appropriate age-apropriate opportunities.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I've weighed options, agonized over decisions, and am praying for the courage to follow through on them.

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    What did I do about it? My originals band hasn't done anything in years. No gigs, no recording, barely writing material. Practices get cancelled left and right for nothing. Nobody seems into it. So I joined a 2nd band to fulfill my wants/needs of gigging regularly. I figured I'd be in 2 bands...one original and one cover.

Then I realized how a band should work. I've known it all along, but never did anything about it. Everything about the originals band annoyed me once I had this epiphany, so after much deliberation, I finally quit last night.

I may look to join another 2nd band, but the cover band is going well so I probably don't need to. We'll see how I feel once the winter is over with and the gigging season really starts up.

7. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

Oct 18, 2011
    Cary, NC
    Like, say, with the department of redundancy department?

8. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    yes and yes

9. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    +1

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I think a lot of us have been through the scenario you described.

It's great that you have the cover band going strong.

11. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

When I don't feel the courage, I just blog randomly on TB about agonizing over my bass angst.

12. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Now that's what I call a classy response :)

13. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    I scan CL every day but I'm just window shopping since, in spite of some volume and song selection issues and a winter slow-down, I'm generally happy with my cover band.

But you never know when the "Busy funk/rock dance band playing 500+ rooms for >$250/man ISO old, gray-haired bass player with so-so backing vocals ASAP. Must not be offended by a crush of drunken half-naked women smashed against the stage. Band has subservient roadie to load in and out for free; show up, plug in, play, get paid, leave. Oh yeah, the drummer works for anheuser busch so the van is always full of beer" ad is gonna pop up, so I want to be ready... :D

14. I'm about to resign. Two years of seven people rowing the boat in different directions with teaspoons, getting nowhere, is enough for me.

At least I can't say I didn't try.

15. LMAO...

16. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's similar to how I felt, but it was only 4 people. Three of us going in one direction with the teaspoons, and one person going the opposite direction with an oar. Yet to 2 morons that were on my teaspoon team are still at it thinking they're going to win. Pointless.

17. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    It would be cool if you could find 7 new guys rowing in the same direction.

18. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    shedding! :D (not unhappy btw, just trying to be the best bassist I can be) :bassist:

19. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    I'm one of the lucky bastards who is happy with my original band. But he 7 guys rowing in different directions reminds me of my 'golden rule' of seeking an original band: find one that's already gigging and recording -at least then there is some evidence or track record of which direction they are trying to row.

There are so many common obstacles that keep bands form functioning effectively -i.e: gigging and recording. At my age I'd prefer not to waste time with groups who fail to deal with those obstacles. Knowing band can gig and record doesn't necessarily mean those obstacles are absent , but it implies that they aren't being held back by them.

20. Yep. I'll be holding out for one like that from here on out, even if it means becoming a band leader and starting from scratch.

That's where bands either gel and have success, or fail to gel and have turmoil--the leader (or lack thereof).