Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are you guys reading right now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i just got two books, "stephen king's dark tower 1: gunslinger", and "fast food nation". i was just wondering if you guys read any, and what you did read?
    i really urge all of you to read a book that i'm reading currently, it's called "Take A Walk On The Dark Side (rock and roll myths, legends, and curses)," by R. Gary Patterson. i'll tell you, this is one amazingly badass book about the myths, legends and curses of music/rock and roll. some of the stuff that is in here is amazing, and it is just overall a good read for anyone musically inclined [​IMG].
    word.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    To Kill a Mockingbird,for school.

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    books fool.

4. I read "Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life" a few months ago. Nothing right now.

5. I read this a few years back, and it was awesome.

6. That is a good book IMO, I really enjoyed it.

Right now I'm reading James Patterson's "Along Came A Spider"

7. Dave Barry Slept Here...by Dave Barry

its like History of the World Part II in Book form...it is Funny!

Charlie

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    yea its ok, cept i got a lot of work to do with it,

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Just finished Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and am currently reading Focoualts Pendulum by Umberto Eco.

Next book: Tom CLancy's "the Bear and the Dragon"

10. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    The dark tower series is awesome. I think there are like four maybe. I've read four of them. But I think there are supposed to be like 12 in all.

11. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i think theres 7, and i thought they were all out.

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"The Yom Kippur War" by Walter Boyne. 1973, an interesting year. Risking the possibility of an Arab oil embargo, President Nixon (also under intense pressure of the Watergate scandal), orders the airlift of arms to help Israel. Kissinger tries to buy the Israelis time for strategic advantage, the in-fighting of Israel's military commanders, the Arab armies that almost destroy Israel, and the testy negotiations between America and the Soviets that almost turns nuclear. Pretty intense stuff.

also: "Red Rabbit" by Tom Clancy

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run.

14. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I'm reading The Exorcist and I've just started War and Peace. That is not an easy book to read.

15. I'm reading "Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim" by David Sedaris. It's funny. That's my only descriptive statement.

I just finished "Motherless Brooklyn" by Jonathan Lethem. Real good.

I read Fast Food Nation a while back, damned good book, but I know a lot of knee-jerk fools who immediately boycotted fast food and started preching the gospel of organic produce equivalents. Obnoxious.

16. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Heidegger's Introduction to Metaphysics
    Aristotle's Ethics
    Harrer's Seven Years in Tibet
    Holmes' Common Law
    Various Supreme Court opinions

17. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    What I admire about him is that his style is so fluid. From Amnesia Moon to Guns, With Occasional Music to Motherlss Brooklyn, it's like a completely different author each time. Which I think is great.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    yeah, wasn't bad.

19. I thought Brave New World was awesome but everyone else in my class thought it was crap. I just read All Over but the Shoutin', can't remember the other's name, it would have been a great book had it been about a hundred and fifty pages but it was soo drawn out to the point that it was just a bore to read (about 330 pages, which isn't really all that long but considering the ammount of information...) I just started The Lovely Bones (Sebold), its pretty alright so far, I'm maybe about a fourth into it. btw I'm not much of a reader, but school starts in like two weeks. Just enough time left to get all that summer reading BS done. What's the deal with that anyway, you go to school in fall/winter/spring but then in the summer they still make you do crap when you could be doing something more productive, hmm I dont know maybe like WORKING so it might be possible to buy gasoline and live on something more than store brand cheetos when I go to college? Maybe it would be ok if I was going to major in English or Literature (which is completely pointless if you have plans to be anything other than an English teacher or a journalist, am I the only one who sees that...at least you can use algebra and trig and calculus to do stuff, even if you don't go into that field. Wow was that not the most off topic reply to a thread in the off topic forum?!?