Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what are you in it for?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rexspangle, Jun 20, 2001.

1. Hey I was just wonderin' where everyone stands with the whole band thing. Is it a hobby, does it pay the bills, are you actually trying to get big?

any advice, tips, lessons learned that you care to share with someone who wants to make being in a band a profession??

thanx

2. I'm just having fun.

3. Jebis

Jebis Guest

Nov 28, 2000
    Long Beach, CA
    To me it's just a hobby, only because I don't have the skill to make a living out of it. The only gigs I've played have been in backyards, just for the hell of it. Although I wouldn't mind getting paid to play, it's not a priority on my list of musical accomplishments in life. That spot is reserved for becoming a more refined bass player.

4. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    Bands are cool you can learn alot from other musicians and there is no other better teacher than doing it.

5. wynnguitars

wynnguitars

Jun 20, 2001
    fl
    hello anybody in here

6. J_PARMER

J_PARMER

May 17, 2000
    i think everyone has that dream in them to make it big. i personally have always dreamed of being a "rock star". but its hard to make it, its kinda the right place at the right time kinda thing. right now for me its fun to be able to play and colaberate with other musicians. of course always keeping that dream in mind.

7. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    I'm in it because I love to play bass. I have no illusions of being a rock star, and can't really afford to try to make a living out of it. So... it is like a hobby/supplemental income kind of thing.

My dad and my favorite uncle are in my band (and two of the best musicians I have ever met) so it is really just cool for me to be able to jam with them and do a show or two per month.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good question Rex!

I think Kid Rock said it best when he said "When you ask someone why they are in music, they always say 'I'm in it for the music'...Well no sh**. Of course your in it for the music, that's why you're here. Then you ask them for the other reasons, they always say [tiny voice] 'Money and women...'"

Yep...that about sums it all up...:D

Music is just such a large part of my life, that I had to start making it. Course, I hope to ultimatly not have to hold down any other job besides the band. Yes, I want to be famous. Yes I want money. I'm superficial as the next guy I guess....But I want the money mostly so I don't have to do any other job.

Tips: GET to make music. Don't HAVE to. If you "have" to...it's time to call it a day...

9. I joined my band because it was there. I had only been playing for about a year and I got invited to play with these two guys. I'm glad I accepted because my playing excelated. It went up considerably and that was great. Now I'm serious about it. Fully.

If it weren't for the band I probably would have given up so if you don't have on get one NOW!

10. When I started out with my band I joined because I felt like a failed guitarist, and thought I could do better on bass.
    Well...that and I was bored. :p

And then as I progressed, I found this odd site by the name of www.talkbass.com that was giving away a free Warwick. "Oooh..." I thought, "That'd be nice." Then it said "Registered members are automatically eligible for the drawing. Registration is free." or something along those lines. "OoOh..." I thought, "That'd be nice. A truly FREE thing!" So I registered and glanced at the forums.

And then after that, I decided I liked the bass, and decided to stick with it. Then I started to like it even more, and then some more...
    and...well, now it's just a fun thing to do. :)

11. J_PARMER

J_PARMER

May 17, 2000
    im up right now at 7 in the morning, hell yes it would be great to quit my job and just play bass for the big bucks.

12. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    i originally got into playing music for the love of, well, playing music! after a few years of just jamming with some dudes, i got into a few working bands (as a drummer). I had that dream of making it big and came relatively close at one point. But after my hands gave out on me, the dream died.

Then I converted to bass. Now it has become a serious hobby. If I can squeeze out a fwe gigs a month or so, that's plenty. I don't really care to travel, but i'll take whatever comes my way.

My job is my bread and butter and is very satisfying.

13. I'm in it for several reasons

1) It's fun
    2) I want to be famous some day
    3) Me and my friends wanted to make a band
    4) Girls will like me (lol...)
    5) I wanted to learn Primus songs
    6) It's fun

14. I'm in it for the love of playing.

That, and it keeps me off the clock tower with a high powered rifle....

15. fisk

fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm in it for the chicks!

If my wife is reading this: just kidding sweetie, I love you.........

16. I'm in it for fun, ultimately, but also...

1. To share music with people
    2. To get N'Sync off the airwaves;)
    3. To make some cash at gigs
    4. The girls (I'm not sure if I'm serious about that one or not:D)
    5. Because there's nothing better than finishing a song that took you 5 struggling months to write

Making it big, is of course one of my dreams. But I wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't happen because I think realisticly. But what do you know, you may see me on MTV within the next few years. My goal is to get a record done by the time I'm 18, and if it bombs miserably I don't care.

17. I think everyone has that dream of making it big, some just realize that you have a better chance of getting struck by lightning in the desert before then...

anyways, I just wanted to play with a band in front of people. My dad is a great guitar player, and when I see him with his band at clubs and things like that I think 'I want to do that'. So thats how I got started... oh, and count me in as one of those disgruntled guitar players :)

It also gives me something to do, considering I don't play sports or anything like that... and I like the kinship one might feel when around other musicians (*sniff* talkbass!) it really makes you feel like you belong.

Besides, if I wasn't playing bass my head would probably be stuck in some mindless video game :rolleyes:.

p.s. oh yeah, and the girl thing is a nice incentive. :)

18. I'm in it cause I love to play bass and I want to become the best bass player I can be. I'm in it cause it ties together and enhances every aspect of me: mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual. Simply put, it's just a great joy. Never have I thought that the bass was some kind of key to women, and when I play the bass, I don't think oh, this looks good on my resume and $$$$. I dig the bass for the sake of the bass and how it allows me to grow and enjoy myself. All of the other ulterior motives are, IMO, bull****.

19. I play because I answer to a higher power.

Oh yeah and cause it rocks.

20. Of course we're all in it for the music. But for me I hope one day I'll be famous, sure the chances are real slim, but I might as well give it my shot.

If I get famous, I'll be sure to moon the world when I'm on MTV.