Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are you learning at the moment?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by morty25, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Hey im just curious to see what stuff you guys are learning at the moment im learing

around the world - rhcp
    under the bridge - rhcp
    too bad - nickelback

Morty :p

2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Rhapsody - "Emerald Sword"
    and
    Corelli's Sonata 4 - 3rd Movement

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Dominique DiPiazza - Marie

4. stroggnoy

stroggnoy Guest

Jul 11, 2002
    Modes

5. At work it would be the ins & outs of UL Standards 2161 (midpoint grounded transformers) and UL 48 (electric sign standards).

For basses it would be lamination techniques and some vibrating string stuff as it relates to bass design.

Pretty dry stuff actually.

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I'm learning that bored schoolchildren start pointless threads when school's out.

Edit: Please note that the preceding remark was not directly related to this thread.

8. what is allodox learning at the moment..

hmm...

non bass related :
    <li>HP/UX 11 virtual partitioning and clustering</li>

Bass related :
    <li>Slapping</li>
    <li>writing good basslines that support good lyrics</li>

9. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm learning how to move threads to General Instruction.

10. cool!!!!!!

is slapping hard ive heard its extremly hard i havent tried it i dont know how!!!!!! :eek:

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Read, Morty, read!

I said it wasn't directed at this thread.

12. arite sorry about that!!! :(

13. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I began learning a violin suite in E minor a bit ago, but quite because I just finished up a cello suite in G major the week before, and I didn't feel like immersing myself in another exhuasting piece like that, but now I'm fresh again, and plan on going after the violin suite again starting Monday.

edit: after reading my post, I realize that I've made one of the biggest run on setences of this century. Ahh well, I'm to lazy to change it. :D

14. Well, I was working on Classical Thump a couple months ago, but I put that down for a while and haven't picked it up since, I guess I should sometime when I'm bored or something.

Right now, I'm just working on playing interesting basslines and singing at the same time, something hard for me to do, so hopefully I'll get it eventually because I've recently been put on backup vocals for my band (useless info, I know.).

15. Harmonica

16. I've been spending a lot of time working on my reading in order to learn to become a better sight reader. In the process, one of the books-- of many-- I've been reading from is "The Slap Bass Bible" by Anthony Vitti. This, in turn, has also helped me with my slap technique. I've also spent some time programming rhythms on my drum maching in order to jam with said slap grooves which, in turn, has helped me to better understand the role of the drummer/bass player as a unit. It's great when one goal can lead to improvement in other areas.;)

17. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Im learning theory from the "Jazz Theory Book"

18. Tritone Substitutions...
    when and how to use them

19. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Well, right now I've been focusing on modes, playing them in two octaves, and chords. Harmonization of the major scale, etc.

Also, reading chord charts, jazz improvisation, and writing basslines to melodies. Very important at this moment because I might be in a jazz band.

Song I am currently trying to learn on my own is the bassline to Vic Chesnutt's "Little Vacation". It's a great little song to learn if you like walking basslines. :)

20. i just finished "pretty little ditty" by the chili peppers and im moving on to "classical thump" b victor wooten, its in rough shape right now.:(