What are you listening to at this moment -- 2002-2003

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Wil Davis, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'm in a rather noisy environment at the moment (cube-city, low walls, idle chatter, gossip, most annoying...) - so, I reach for the headphones, and...

"Piccolo" - Ron Carter Quartet

- Wil
  2. Mike Goodbar

Mike Goodbar Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2001
    Charlotte, NC
    Well, not at this exact moment, but in my CD player the Lynne Arriale Trio Live at Montreaux is getting heavy rotation.

Telepathic, intelligent yet energetic trio work with very tasty bass lines and solos by Jay Anderson. Steve Davis on tubs.
  3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Dave Douglas, "Soul on Soul".
  4. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    It only has two songs with DB, but its Radiohead's "Amnesiac". Earlier I was listening to Bill Frisell with Dave Holland and Elvin Jones and before that, Rev Horton Heat.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I've just been listening to a new 6-CD boxed set I got of Olivier Messiaen's Organ music played by Jennifer Bate, under the supervision of the composer.
    Wonderful sound and acoustic - great reverb! I just listened to the CD that contains "The Ascension" and "The Bodies in Glory", recorded in St. Pierre de Beauvais Cathedral.
  6. .... I'm listening to John Patitucci's (& Chick Corea's) "Baja Bajo" with Chick Corea, Dave Whitham, John Beasley, & Vinnie Colaiuta, off of John's "John Patitucci" CD (1988 GRP). Truly inspirational! The interplay between musicians is awe inspiring.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Lynne Arriale Trio, Melody. Same lineup as above, but with Scott Colley (sp?) instead of Anderson. Gorgeous stuff.
  8. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    Alex Foster & Michael Wolff -- POOL OF DREAMS: Piano & sax duets. Alex is an amazing jazz player who has a day job playing in the Saturday Night Live band

KIND OF BLUE. Yes, again. It's healing music, too.
  9. Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Two nice new Criss Cross releases. "New Yourk Trio" with Dutch pianist Peter Beets, Rodney Whitaker on bass, and Willie Jones III. Great recording. "One For All Live at Smoke's" is some very nice playing as well.

I got the John Hicks tribute to Sonny Clark disc this weekend and it is really good stuff too.

10. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Right now, it's Tom Waits Blue Valentine , Branford Marsalis Requiem, Roy Haynes Trio w/ Danilo Perez and John Pattitucci, and the Miles Davis In a Silent Way boxed set.
  11. Andrew Hill Point Of Departure
    Duke Ellington Sophisticated Lady
    Lou Reed Berlin
  12. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm the low brow here. I have Sade "Lovers Live", Gary Moore's "Blues Alive" and "Eliane Elias Sings Jobim" on my 3-CD player beside the computer. At this very second, Sade is singing "No Ordinary Love".

My car is loaded with Carlos Vives "Dejame Entrar".
  13. oklarain

Feb 4, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Right now I am listening to:
    The Word - J. Medeski w/ North Mississippi Allstars,
    Time Out - D. Brubeck
    Heartland - E. Meyer, etc.
    Perpetual Motion - B. Fleck & Friends
    In a Silent Way (boxed set) - M. Davis

Ah, the joys of a 5 disc changer.
  14. Robert Kopec

Robert Kopec Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks ,N.Y.
    DR String endorsee
    Eddie Gomez Trio,Live in Japan.....Stephon Karlson and Jimmy Cobb...Great,masterful and awe inspiring!
    I don't think it is out on a 'label'....Got it from Eddie back in Dec. at the Blue Note gig with Chick.Man I hope they release that night in the states.
    Everything I Love by Eliane Elias is also making it into the Cd player alot lately.....
  15. Robert Kopec

Robert Kopec Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2002
    Fair Oaks ,N.Y.
    DR String endorsee
  16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Earlier this afternoon, while rewiring my mixing desk, I got 1 1/2 times through Ed Fuqua's You Don't Know Where One Is. This disc - featuring our own FUQHORN in combination with a bevy of various matriarchal fornicationists from the Big Apple - is great fun and boasts a killer version of "Alone Together".

Not only could I not figure out where "One" was, I couldn't find a single beat until the fourth tune. Mr. PUKESPRAY has really outdone himself this time.
  17. Well, I just got home from Trumpet's, where Vic Juris was just tearing up the place. His quartet was Mark Soskin, piano,a drummer from Italy, last name Valentino, and the astonishing Brazilian bassist, Nilson Matta. And Vic's wife, Kate Baker, is one groovy vocalist. Matta's time sense is breathtaking; if you look up 'underrated' in the dictionary, you'll see his picture.
  18. ELP - Return of the Manticore
    Little Feat - The Last Record Album
    Temptations - Live at the Copa
    James Brown - Roots of a Revolution (anthology)
    Nina Simone - The Colpix Years (another anthology)

19. "Bitches brew" (Miles)
    Thierry Robin "Gitans"
    Renaud Garcia-Fons "Oriental Bass"
    Sibelius Violin Concerto (Anne-Sophie Mutter)
    Samuel Barber & E.Meyer Violin Concertos
    (Hilary Hahn)
    R. Vaughan Williams Concerto for Bass Tuba &orch.
    "Café Brasil"
  20. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    King Crimson-Beat
    When We Were Kings Sndtrk
    The Complete Ella in Berlin
    Zappa-The Best Band you Never Heard in Your Life
    AC/DC-Back in Black
    Tim Machine
    Mike Dimin-Big Droppins