Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are you listening to at this moment - 2004

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Chris Fitzgerald, Mar 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Just a reminder to anyone who might be a bit lost, this is a DG (Double Bass) thread - if you are a bass guitarist, there is a "What are you listening to" thread in BG, which can be found Here.

2. I've resisted posting because a thread of the same name exists at Jazz Corner, a galling collection of dilletantes, blowhards, and A-holes (many people are all three), but here goes:

I'm listening to a recording of She Dances played by Chris Fitzgerald (yes, our Chris Fitzgerald). The best part is, he's not playing bass. Chris is also a gifted pianist. No, you can't buy this in any store.

3. Recent DB/EUB listening:

Spyro Gyra (w/Scott Ambush) - The River Between
    Bob Hurst - Music from the film Oceans Eleven

:cool: :cool:

4. I'm listening to Jim Hall's Something Special...Also with some hilarious cover art by Gary Larson.
    Gary's a guitarist and has studied with several of our " Big Time" jazz guitarists.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Right now....nothing, because it's 6:00 am. But lately I've been listening a lot to Fred Hersch's "Live at the Village Vanguard", with Drew Gress and Nasheet Waits. Nice.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Dave Berkman's HANDMADE (Ugonna Okegwo on bass)
    Warne Marsh BACK HOME

7. Charlie Haden and John Taylor - Nightfall on Naim
    Alec Dankworth - if you're passing by on Candid (after seeing him and his drummer-less trio give a superb concert - though oddly I've ended up with some real cruddy cds after being entranced with the gig)

8. History of Jazz, Volume I w/ Michael Moore, Ken Peplowski and Tom Melito. It's great to hear Moore in a pianoless trio.

9. orange_nate

orange_nate Guest

Apr 15, 2004
    John Frusciante - Shadows Collide with People
    Modest Mouse - Good News for People Who Love Bad News
    Return to Forever - Romantic Warrior (Chuck Corea)
    Thelonious Monk ...live
    Weather Report - Black Market

10. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Dave Douglas-Strange Liberation

11. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Air - Talkie Walkie
    Bad Plus - Give
    Loretta Lynn - Van Lear Rose
    Descendents - Cool to be You

Ok, only one has anything to do with DB, but you asked. The Air one has me hypnotized, its like a cross between Ween (their mellower stuff mostly), Tortoise, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, and Pinback. Again, that may have little interest for alot of you, but also again, that's what the thread is, and I am impressed as hell with all of these Cds.

12. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Thought you meant Air , as in the trio with Fred Hopkins on bass.

The Loretta CD is killer, I heard a few tracks. She is a fantastic singer, one of my favorites.

I liked the Bad Plus CD, but it seemed a little one-dimensional dynamically, so I didn't buy it, thinking I'd get tired of it quickly. Need to hear it again.

13. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Frank Zappa: Waka Jawaka, Burnt Weeny Sandwhish, Live at Filmore East, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Just Another Band from L.A.

14. Norre

Norre

Jan 5, 2001
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Wynton Marsalis: The Magic Hour

15. Sing It Again, Sam
    The Inimitable Song Stylings of Sam Sacks

Check it out here.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Edgar Meyer: Bottesini Concerto (gonna see him play Fraaday Niyt)
    Analog Missionary: The Voyage of Demeter
    Aunt Pat: Patoo
    Miles: Circle in the ROund
    Dave Holland: All of the latest albums...Except the big band thang

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Er....thanks?

That sweater he's wearing on the album cover...imagine what that smelled like after about 500 takes....

18. Currently, myself. I got around to listening to some raw tracks from a couple of sessions with a trio I frequent. We're supposed to do some more recording tonight.

The good news is that my good moments don't sound too painfully bad to me. I'm typically very, very self-critical of my recordings, so the fact that I can even finish a tune is a nice sign.

The bad news is that my bad moments are confused, confusing, microtonal, or some combination of the above.

I've been listening to a lot of Caetano Veloso, Wynton's new one, Dave Holland's newer stuff, and I've been trying to get into MMW's The Dropper.

19. Yeah Mike....My man....that's a riot!!!!!

20. "The Harry Pickens Trio: At The Jazz Factory (9/14/03)"

Mmmm, quite excellent!

- Wil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.