1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are you not getting from your Bart MK-1's

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 4Mal, Sep 26, 2009.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    For either 4 or 5 string, what do you find annoying about the MK1 soapbar ? Are you using it with the MK-1 pre ? Have you repaclaced the pre ? If so, with what ? Did you consider using the MK-1's passive ?

Inquiring minds wish to know... Thanks!

2. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    Interesting :eyebrow: I'm trying to install theNTMB pre as I type ( with no luck so far ) in my Cort b4 with MK1s. It had the MK1 pre and it was cool but a little bright/almost harsh-ish sorta. I like the lows and so I thought the pups were worth a try with a pre amp upgrade. I would let you know the difference but I can't seem to get the dang thing workin':bawl: I'm not a smart man ( in Forest Gump voice )

3. escaraBAJO

escaraBAJO

Apr 24, 2000
    I wan't to know also!!!.

4. PluckyThump

PluckyThump

Jan 4, 2008
    The Hammer
    I had a Lakland 55-01 with the Bart MK-1 pups and pre. I didn't like the pre because it was too extreme, especially the treble contour which was rediculously high, really just a volume control for finger squeaks.

I replaced it with an Audere pre. This sounded pretty good, but a bit compressed and weak in the mids. So I replaced the pickups with Nordstrand Big-Splits. These have stronger mids and are more dynamic but I was never happy with the sound of those either, and ended up trading the bass.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I also had a 55-01, which was the best constructed of a number of Lakland Skylines that I've had. I did the Big Split swap out which was better but swapped the bass away before getting to the pre. Partly it was the opportunity to land a very nice 4 string in return, partly it was that I don't really ever have a call for a 5, the 35 " scale I didn't find real friendly - not a deal breaker but one where I wwas hesitant to go the full enchilada.

The MK1's did seem kinda harsh and maybe a little mid rangey. They weren't pleasant sounding to my ear... I recall wondering if they were designed with string to string balance in mind. Now I find myself considering what would have worked inthat bass better. I may need to locate a low end, MK1 equipped bass for some mad scientist work ...

6. rythman6969

rythman6969

May 29, 2007
    jersEY
    so I got my NTMB pre going with MK!s and I gotta say it's a big improvement. For one it's dead silent. No buzz , no hiss. even when pinned no hiss from highs. Nice bottom and the mid select switch is ok but doesn't do much unless the mids are all the way up. I have them at 0 usually so the switch doesnt do much. But I like it overall. Glad I did it. I think the MK1s are ok at least for my needs.:p

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    how about string to string balance ? I was thinking that something in the same form factor with adjustable poles might be interesting. String spacing would have to be specific.

What are some of the lower end MK1 equipped basses out there. I may need to snag one for some experimentation ... I won't want to spend the dough for a 44-01/55-01 so what is cheaper ?