1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are you practising right now?

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by Steve Amadeo, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Steve Amadeo

Steve Amadeo

Nov 14, 2005
    Wallasey, UK
    Hi everyone,

Following on from the 'what are you currently transcribing?' thread....

What have you been practising today?

2. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I'm practicing getting my chops back in shape after having root canal surgery on fri, and being out of commission for a few days. Got a clinic coming up on thurs.... so I need to be in shape.

Easy,

Janek

3. Mikey D

Mikey D

Nov 30, 2006
    Birmingham, UK
    With my technical exam only being 3 weeks away this is my practice for until then to make sure I nail all of them:

Shapes and patterns:
    All modes of major scale and melodic minor in thirds from lowest note on bass to highest note on bass (5 string with high c)
    Arpeggios around the cycle (i.e all chord qualities and as major and minor ii-V-Is and inversions) with and without approach tones and enclosures on all steps of the arpeggio

Technique issues:
    'Scrapple from the apple' with Parker's bridge
    Ray Brown's diminished exercises

Transcriptions from memory:
    Oscar Pettifords Solo on Perdido
    John Patitucci's complete solo on Growing

4. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Practicing time... playing through Jamerson transcriptions at various slow tempos (40-50bpm) with the click on various parts of the beat, ie 2+4, second 16th of every beat, that sort of thing. Working on internalizing time.

5. Steve Amadeo

Steve Amadeo

Nov 14, 2005
    Wallasey, UK
    I'm practising Janek's Hanon exercises for bass as featured in Bass Guitar Magazine this month. Great stuff.

6. I wish someone would explain this to me, so I can see what it's all about. Maybe my piano professor can enlighten me...