What are you sitting on when you practice or record?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sleestak, Mar 21, 2004.

1. I'm setting up a studio in my home office, and I'm through trying to play bass in my office chair, arms just don't cut it when you are playing the bass.

I'm off to find a nice padded stool without arms, and thought I would see what others are using - where you bought it, what you advise, all that good stuff.

I'm figuring on something padded to protect my backside and my bass, something with a back to it so I don't slump over, and something with a footrest.

What do you sit on?

George :bassist:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just sit on a wooden stool when i practice. Isnt the most comfortable but it works. Or when im practicing more casually i sit in my armless computer chair.
  3. i have a armless stool that i bought a while ago. it was only $12 CAD and it is extremely comfortable.
  4. #1 when recording you should always be standing, well at least for me that works best. I always want to be attentive when recording, chairs lead to laziness. :)
    But when I do need to sit I use a Rok-n-Sok drum stool.
    Another thing I have used is draftsmen chair, nice and high in the air and a nice footrest.
    Good luck,
  5. I bought an armless chair from Fender. Black and rectangular with an 18" speaker in it. 100w of power. Went by the name "amp." Recently bought a new chair, but would never sit in it. Ampeg 4x10 and it came with an ottoman (Ampeg 15") Just too pretty to sit on.
  6. XxBlackOrchidxX

Dec 23, 2003
  7. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    A large, comfortable drummer's stool. Check out the catalogues, there are dozens of shapes and sizes. You can even have one with backrest.
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    How in the world can you sit when you're playing bass?

(Usually a small econo swivel chair, like the kind in school computer labs the world over)
  9. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I move too much when I'm playing bass; and if I'm sitting while playing bass I just fall over.
  10. I almost always sit for songwriting with the band, or if I'm seriously practicing. I feel like I play better when I sit for some reason...I'm more relaxed, less tension.

That being said, I use a stool as well. I like putting my one foot up on the rest and the other on some other object. Works for me, anyway.
  11. I once destroyed the backrest on my brother's computer chair so it came off :D Has no armrests so now I use that when I'm playing. My own computer chair has armrests, and I keep smashing my bass into that so I'm NOT sitting down anymore on that one :smug:

But how do you balance your bass when sitting down? The thing keeps sliding off of my thighs :meh:
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - I never sit down when practicing or recording - standing up means I am taking it seriously and not just noodling, which is not practice!!

So - at gigs, I always stand up, so it makes sense to stand up at all other times to make sure that it all works and feels just right.

Stamina is important and if you want to play 2 or 3 hour gigs, then you better be sure you're comfortable standing up and playing for long periods!
  13. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
  14. MaHei

Dec 24, 2002
    Gigs are an entirely different matter though.
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX