Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are you working on?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MMSterling, Feb 26, 2004.

1. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    At the minute I'm giving the learning of new songs a rest and concentrating all my efforts onto learning and applying theory! I have seen dramatic improvements in my ability to write little licks and solo type riffs in only a couple of days.

I can now finally start to use some of my technical ability to good use :D!

What you lot learning at the minute? Can be anything from a certain technique, theory, or learning songs etc!

Andy

P.S :)

(Thanks to Jazzbo for writing the intro to scale and chord theory article, thats what I've been working through, practicing, and applying the last few days and its great! Finally get to write my own little solo, and get it recorded. My attempts at solo's have always fell flat before due to lack of theory knowledge.) :D

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Well, my usual activity is recording songs, be they songs that I have written, or songs that I'm trying to recreate but as of now, I'm kind of taking a small break from learning/recording songs. Check out the link in my Sig to hear the last thing I recorded(Jaco's 'reza')

So, with that aside, I'm learning how to walk a bassline, two-feel, swing..etc. And I'm learning about secondary dominants.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i'm working on playing very relaxed

4. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Just checked out 'reza'. Nice work! I really liked that!

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm working on about 5 computers...and a server...and I'm answering the phone...and looking through the threads at Talkbass.

I can't wait to get home and practice!

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Desperately trying to keep up with my guitarists and drummer, who are not only uber talented, but play in a particular manner than is counter to my particular sense of bass.

So I'm taking extra care and time to learn the songs I'm obstensibly part of writing.

7. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Brendan,
    I thought you gave up bass and were going to concentrate on singing. What happened?

BTW, as always, I am working on trying to stop procrastinating learning theory.

8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    he did, that's the problem :p

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Why Bother by Weezer.

10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Same here.

11. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    1) getting aquainted with my new bass (Elrick NSJ 4)
    2) working through my own original material as I have some gigs coming up next month
    3) working through the Ed Friedland Slap Bass DVD (lots of good stuff on there)
    4) learning (or re-learning depending on the song) a bunch of P Funk, Prince and James Brown tunes

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Some very good friends decided to start a band, and asked me to play bass with them, as well as doing backup vocals and contribute lyrics. I said sure.

Never said I gave up bass, I said I didn't think I'd be playing bass in a band for a while. Guess I was wrong.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Currently learning the finer points of playing jazz bass, and fusion. Also have along set list of jazz/blues/pop covers to learn for a new gig.

Quite the challenge for me. All I have been playing for the past two years is Staind/STP/AC-DC/SOAD type stuff.

-Mike

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I working on being able to walk through "Satin Doll", as well as play the melody and solo over it. (Not all at the same time.)

That song is really starting to bug me.

15. `ash

`ash

Feb 26, 2004
    Melbourne
    At the moment im working through What Duck Dunn and the Standing in the Shadows of Motown songbook. I also read Chuck Sher's Improvisors Bass Book in bed.

16. Band # 1

I am working on booking up the summer gigs. So far, got one a month from March through August. Blues, Rock, Country, etc. danceable rockin stuff.

Band # 2

I know there are a lot of tight ass musical snobs on this board who hate Gene Simmons, but I'm putting together a good KISS tribute show for a couple of bookings this Haloween. It is a FREAKING BLAST working this stuff up. Not brain surgery, but fun straightforward rock with a really cool interactive stage show that most importantly gets the bassman involved front and center.

17. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    Sounds like fun to me mate! Be great getting the audience more invloved with a stage show to! Nice one!

Andy :bassist:

18. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Working hard in my band,and working on some Rush and Yes. -Luke

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have been playing bass in a play (with The_Bass on keyboards :)) and I'm also studying classical guitar.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im working on Jimi Hendrix - All along the watchtower.