What are your EQ's set to/your ideal tone?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cyklone777, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Just doing a survey (out of boredom) of what you guys set the EQ on your amps to, and what do you consider your "dream" tone?
    I boost the lows and highs (more high than low though) and I cut all the midrange out, except for some high-mids and low-mids just to add definition (and NO I'm NOT trying to be like Fieldy! :D) I just think to my ears midrange makes the bass sound "cheap" through the amp, makes it sound like the speaker's frazzled.
    My dream tone would probably be considered close to Rex Brown's sound (since I use a pick), strong lows to give massive punch when picking, but I like the high end cranked up to add clarity to the notes.
    Another person's tone I really like is Jason Newsted's, especially during the "Bass/Guitar Doodle" on the Cunning Stunts video.
  2. On a 3 band EQ:
    bass @ 1 o'clock
    mid @ 11 o'clock
    treble @ 12 o'clock

If your bass needs radical EQ-ing you either got the wrong bass for your sound or it's a very poor sounding bass.

3. i try to leave everything flat, so as to let my basses speak.
  4. since i'm only using a 160W combo (SWR wm-15), i tend to boost the low mids to compensate for the lack of power.

bass - 3 o'clock
    mid - 3 o'clock
    mid freq - 7 o'clock
    treble - 12/1 o'clock
    transparency - 10/11 o'clock

that's my standard tone, considering that i play mostly punk/rock, and that i have a passive bass. when i play reggae i cut mids, boost bass, cut transparency.

i plan to get a 2x10 extension cab soon, to help make my sound punchier.
  5. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I boost the highs and the lows and keep the middles pretty flat except for my 250 band which is cranked up. I dunno why it just sounds good that way.

PS: I dont buy that line about "if you need to EQ then you're bass sucks." Thats BS (no offense intended), but each person has there own idea of what sound works best with their music and style. I say try a bunch of possibilites before you settle on something. And once you've settled on something, well, try something different again.
  6. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Everything flat (sorry Brewer9 its not a dig at you, honest)
  7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I used to do the smiley thing. I since found that, without a good amount of mid in there, the sound gets muddy and/or lost on stage. Now everything is pretty much flat, with maybe just a hint of boost on the bottom, both at the amp and on the bass. Not much, just a touch. You know, "A little dab'll do ya'."
  9. I use a pre-power set up, and the only thing that has affected my mind in the last few months is the 5751 TUBE, I have nice high end basses, but this tube in my pre(s), has actually enabled me to be comfortable with a (flat) (everything at 12 o'clock)setting, if you have a pre-amp that has a 12ax7, do yourself a favor, and check out a 5751, there are more preferable types, but basically what I get from them is a lot more warmth, more transparency in the mids and a nice glassy high, if any thing I will boost the bass a tad in some situations, sorry to be so wordy
  10. But offense taken, please read my contribution again Brewer9. You will notice you have me misunderstood.
    My comment isn't just a snobby remark, it's based on over 15 years of experience. Trust me, I've been there and done that.

11. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Bass : 2 o'clock (+2)
    Mid freq : 10 o'clock (700)
    Mid : 10 o'clock (-2)
    Treb : 12 o'clock (flat / 0)
    And more settings from my Warwik combo :
    Punch : 2 o'clock (+2)
    Attack : 12 o'clock (falt/0)
    High boost on (horn)
    Low boost off
  12. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Sorry Treb. I guess its just the rebel in me.

Please dont take offense at this either, but maybe we both could take each other's advice. I'm gonna try it more your way and see how I like it. I've gotten a lot of good advice from this board and I respect your opinion, so....here goes.

Whats interesting is that I do have a great sound and fabulous equipment, so I just may be doing something right for my music and style. But I digress, I'll try less EQ and see what happens.
  13. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    lo boost engaged (
    bass flat
    treble flat
    mid @ 900 hz + 6 dB

footswitchable graphic EQ (for solos)

100 Hz +3 dB
    250 Hz +1 dB
    500 Hz -3 dB
    1500 Hz +9 dB
    3000 Hz -6dB

also SansAmp Acoustic DI:
    Bass boosted slightly (1 o'clock)
    treble cut slightly (11:30)
    mid @ 800 Hz about 2 o'clock
    active engaged so the mid overdrives (I love this thing!)

Ya gettin' the pattern? Everything pretty flat except boost the hell out of the mids. Love that growl (yes, I play fretless) and I hate clicky attack. But 500 Hz sounds honky. 800 - 1000 sounds more airy and open while still grinding.
  14. Brewer9 let me explain:

I was looking for "that J-bass sound" for years, and tried different basses, different (active) pickups, a Badass II bridge, a Schaller bridge, a bass/treble preamp, a 2 band parametric equaliser, a graphic EQ. Result was that after seriously "frankenbassing" a few J-basses and trying different preamps/EQ's it still didn't sound like I wanted it to sound.

It turns out that I just didn't have the right J-bass. For "my sound" I need a swamp ash body, a maple fretboard, a high mass bridge and passive pickups.
    Now I have such a bass, and it sounds like I want it to sound.

Trying to get that sound out of an alder body with rosewood fretboard? Well it just doesn't happen! No matter how many EQ's and how radical your settings, if the woods aren't the right ones prepare yourself for a major disappointment.

Because now the basic sound is already in my bass (wood) I hardly need to EQ to get my sound. Just a touch of bass boost and an equal amount of mid cut is all I need.
    I prefer having the smile on my face, not on my EQ.

15. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    Your last line is great treb!

Yeah, its good to know the background to your comments. I can relate to your situation as can many of us here, searching for THAT tone.
  16. about 50% of the time I leave my amp (Trace Elliot and 4x10 inc. hi freq horn) flat, but when I want a cutting pick-like tone I switch in the eq with boost mainly at 2.5k and a bit at 1k and 5k.

like Treb, I favour a maple or ebony fretboard, ash body (only heavy, not swamp), heavy bridge (BaddassII or Schaller 3D) and passive pickups.
  17. On my SWR Bass 350:

Aural Enhancer at 1 O'Clock
    Everything else at 12

On my Stingray just a dab of Bass boost.

Someone here has one of the coolest signatures I've seen (aplogies as I have forgotten who:rolleyes: )

"I have two tone controls and they are at the end of my arms":D
  18. usually a dab of mids, not much. f course, it is a 15 watter (i know, i know) but it does sound almost decent.
  19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    In an ideal situation flat.
    In some rooms I'll boost mids or cut or boost bass as necessary to be heard but it makes you much more flexible to let yer hands get the sound outta the bass rather than to depend on a particular amp to be an integral part of the deal.
  20. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I dunno guys, I tried using a flat EQ and it sounded really boring to me as compared to my regular sound. Yes I do have a great bass (tobias original signature) and a great amp (mesa 400+) and great cabs (mesa 6x10 and mesa 2x15).

I just happen to like a boomy, bouncy, full, long-sustaining sound. Also I've been playing for 19 years (not a newbie by any stretch). I'd like to think that as musicians we would be be open-minded to various stylistic differences among us. Not "bad" or "good" but rather "different".

Just my opinion so it really doesnt matter, but what the hey!