What are your essential pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tottery, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Tottery

Tottery

Aug 17, 2015
    Been a meat and potatoes player my whole life. Meaning, I've never really used any pedals, but now that I'm digging deeper into bass, I'm wondering what pedals are essential outside of a tuner.

What do you all use and suggest? Pics of your fancy toys are a plus!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Broughton Audio always-on High Pass Filter.

3. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    In addition to a tuner, my "essential" board would have a high pass filter, a compressor, something wacky/synthy, and some dirt.

4. Tottery

Tottery

Aug 17, 2015
    I'm already lost. I have no idea what high pass filters are. Gonna have to Google it real quick.

5. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    The HPF is nice and I swear by it but you can turn the bass down on your amp. I like the compressor. It makes me sound more inviting. It's like putting on a little makeup.

6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    We bass players are turning to high pass filters to take all of the super low frequencies we don't want or care about and keep them from ever reaching our speakers. It lets us use fewer speakers, play louder through them, with less risk of damaging them. It's more efficient and it lets you do more with less.

Evil Funk, equill, mambo4 and 7 others like this.
  7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Here's a link to my TB Wiki article on the topic:
    High Pass and Low Pass Filters Explained

Todd Grendon, Juan Lauda, JMV and 7 others like this.
  8. All I really need is my Wampler Ego and TC Spark. Everything else is just fun.

9. There are no essential pedals, just pedals you need or want to get a specific sound.

Evil Funk, Jazzdawg, Tour Dad and 8 others like this.
  10. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    Nothing is an essential pedal for me.

But my Visual Volume Pedal, Source Audio Kingmaker, Source Audio C4 Synth, EHX Ring Thing, EHX V256 sure are fun.

Evil Funk likes this.
  11. Compressor, the one and only pedal I ~always~ run. I currently have an Aguilar.

I have many other pedals, but that is the only one that is always on.

12. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    For me... no pedals. Fingers, maybe a pick, Pbass, maybe some good new rounds or dead flats straight into the amp. Although I can definitely appreciate a Doug Wimbish type player with an insane board. As long as it grooves I love it all!

13. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    "Essential" is overstating, but I like a compressor, an envelope filter, an octaver, an OD, a distortion, some kinda modulation (flanger, phaser, chorus) on my boards, and generally in that order.

Sometimes I'll have a light and a heavy distortion, or two envelopes, or a flanger and a chorus ...

Jazzdawg and Schurger like this.
  14. Ggaa

Ggaa

Nov 26, 2018
    Flanger, octaver, chorus, distortion.

15. Outside of a tuner, my only "essential" bass pedal is a BOSS BC-1x compressor. Everything else is optional.

16. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    this does the trick nicely!
    sy_300_top_main.jpg

17. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Emerald Prince.

Everything else comes and goes.

dsteinschneider and realmacaroni like this.
  18. Blu bro

Blu bro

Mar 1, 2012
    Aus
    I didn’t touch pedals for the first ten years of playing- and even when I started with pedals it took me a long time to realise that my most essential pedal is a very light overdrive.

Now I like to have two gain stages (both very light)- one as an almost always on and the second one to boost the first.

scottfeldstein and Zbysek like this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    None, but I have a couple regardless 20200228_185253.jpg

Jinobass1, gregmon79 and Tottery like this.
  20. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Tuner
    Hpf

Stumbo likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021