What are your favorite DR Strings? and why?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by KB, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Sunbeams

10 vote(s)
  2. Hi-Beams

22 vote(s)
  3. Lo-Riders (Stainless)

15 vote(s)
  4. Lo-Riders (Nickel)

11 vote(s)
  5. Fat Beams

6 vote(s)
  1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    What are your favorite DR strings? and why? I am trying to decide which to try next (I already use Sunbeams and am looking to expand).

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Glad to see you included the Marcus, a.k.a. Fats.

Why I like `em? Not that they're "the best" :rolleyes: DR's. They're just the best for the styles of music I have to play most of the time - funk, blues, jazz, and some rock. Super-versatile strings that love to be slapped and popped with ton's of lower mids, pretty highs, and B as fat as donut addict's ass. Never thought roundwouds could sound this warm.

I see you dig Sunbeams. I've used Lo-Riders and Hi Beams when I played more in single genres of music, but never Sunbeams. No particular reason, just never got around to them. They don't seem to be one of the more popular DR lines, which has nothing to do with their ability to perform. Maybe it's the name? :confused:
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Fat Beams all the way. Sound great on an AmJazz.
  4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    High Beams, mainly cause they are the only ones that I have tried so far. But they really made my bass come to life. They are maybe a little bit bright for some of the music that I play, but they make up for it in the other styles.
  5. Right now, I'm using Stainless Steel Lo-Riders. Nice crisp sound and lots of sustain, definition, and I am convinced that they cannot go dead! Only DR's I've tried, but I'm a follower! Much better than Ernies, which is a great string also. My next pack of strings will either be Nickle Lo-Riders or Fat Beams. The only bad things about DR's are the hefty price!:eek: but it's worth it considering how long they last!
  6. just got my first DRs, they're high beams, and i like the sound except they're a little too bright/twangy on the high strings. a little too flexible as well. i'll be trying lo-riders soon.
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I love the two I've tried: Hi Beams and SS Lo-Riders. I like the pliability of the Hi Beams a touch more, but I alternate every once in a while.

I especially love the "2nd life" that my Hi Beams seem to take on...after they lose their initial harmonic content, they seem to really blossom in their warmth and punchiness:D
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    What?! Only one vote for stainless Lo Riders?! :eek:

**Darth voice on**

I find your lack of faith disturbing

**Darth voice off**

Hehe, really though, I love stainless Lo Riders. They are a great sounding string and they have just enough high end response for me. Strings are very subjective though, follow your ears and fingers and they will tell you what you like best.

Though I'm a diehard stainless fan, I was recently considering trying the nickel Lo Riders on a passive bass I have where the sound can be a bit harsh at times. I think the nickel version might help tone it down and balance the response.

For the record, I have done trials using High Beams and Fat Beams as well but the Lo Riders were easily my favorite.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I prefer the Sunbeams, I tried Hi-Beams and they sounded too thin to my ears. YMMV
  10. 7

Dec 23, 2000
    ive use both low rider stainless and fat beams and im liking the low riders the best still they just make my bass sound better than most other strings and they last a whole lot longer but the fat beams are really good too
  11. Steve

Aug 10, 2001

The last set I got had either a defective B string or somebody accidentally stuck one of the new taper wound strings they're marketing in my set.

I'd stay away from them 'cause that string SUCKED!
    It was probably a defect, DR wouldn't let anything that sounded that bad out of the shop.

And thanks to Grasshopper at bass central for having DR drop ship me another no charge. You Rock!
  12. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Lo-Riders stainless steel.
  13. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I tried the Stainless Steel lo-riders and wasn't too impressed. In my opinion, they would be great for slap, but lack some of the clairty that I am used to with sunbeams and they were a little to tight for my tastes. They did play harmonics beaustifully because of this tension, but for the best all around string I still like the sunbeams. For now I am going to stick with sunbeams (I think hi-beams will be too twangy for me). Basically aren't sunbeams just hi-beams in nickel anyway?

14. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    Sorry you didn't like the stainless Lo-Riders KB. I love 'em!! The Sunbeams are made the same way as Hi-Beams (roundcore, roundwound) except the metals are different. Hi-Beams are extremely bright and flexible. I've heard that for nickelplated steel strings, Sunbeams are almost as bright as stainless steel. Sounds like if you still want to experiment, Lo-Rider nickel and Fat Beams are next. Good luck!!
  15. BWB

Aug 30, 2000
    Knoxville TN
    I play with a soft touch - ths summer is 20 years that I've been playing the bass. In 20 years, I have broken a total of three strings. 2 of those 3 strings were in one week from one set of DR's.
    I got the message and went back to GHS. I could never recommend anyone use DR's. Sorry!

16. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Wow, that's strange. I like to dig in here and there and I've never broken *any* string by *any* manufacturer. For this reason, when I see all the claims about broken (bass) strings in the forums, I am perplexed. :confused:
  17. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    I've only tried the Lo-Riders but they gave my bass a piano like sound, great mids not to twangy, nice defined lows. Really brought my passive bass to life.
  18. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It seems like sunbeams are not widely used compared to the other DR strings. I wonder why? They have a lot of the brightness of stainless, with the flexibility of Hi-Beams and the warmth and easy playability of nickel. Usually in most music stores I go in I only see Hi-Beams and Lo-riders, maybe that has something to do with it??? maybe it is just the sunbeam name??? Bread anyone???
    Any thoughts?

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Uh, because Bobby Dall and Fieldy aren't on the endorser list?
  20. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    oh that's it. :p

I forgot about the Fieldy factor.

Now I understand :D :eek: