Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your favorite effects?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RAM, Feb 5, 2001.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm no novice to bass playing...I've been playing 18 years and have learned quite a bit about basses in that time, and to a lesser degree, learned a lot about amps as well. Now I'm adding effects to my arsenal and am having the absolute biggest headaches!

I started with the Bass Pod, which taught me a lot about what I like and what I don't...For example, I've never been a huge fan of Phase Shifters before. Never really knew much about 'em. But, I tried the one on the Bass Pod and liked it. I also never really saw myself as an envelope filter type guy, but in subtle settings, I think it can sound cool for ANY type of music! Plus, the chorus, flanger, and distortion...but I'm a bit more familiar with those.

So, now I'm in the never ending quest to find high quality effects without rackmounting them and without adding effects I find useless. Thus my question...what effects and brands of effects do you use? Do you have any problems that you've encountered with them?

My only other requirement is that these effects need to be noiseless. Otherwise, I'd rather run a dry signal...

BTW: the Bass Pod is now gone (see other thread by same name) and Sans Amp Bass Driver is my new "distortion" effect...not gettin' rid of that one;)

2. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use distortion, flange, phase, and delay, running in that order. I'd say my favorite is the phase (MXR phase 90, I love that it has 1 knob and sounds so amazing). The one I can't get the right sound out of is my flange (Boss BF2), I'm thinking about replacing it with an envelope filter (maybe a BassIQ?), but I haven't tried any out aside from Bassballs and it didn't have the sound I was going for either. The flange was awesome when I got it, but I'm craving a different type of sound (something kinda bubbly, or kinda "auto-wahish"). Aside from the flange issue I haven't had any problems with my effects (which for name sake are the Boss ODB-3, Boss BF2, MXR Phase 90, and Danelectro Dan-echo).

So there's my little rundown of my effects, hope you have fun collecting what you want.

3. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I'm inspired a lot by Pat Metheny's work, so I really got into finding a delay/chorused sound similar to Pat's for melodic passages and such for bass. I got a Boss DD-3 Digital Delay pedal and voila. Doesn't sound like Pat, but the concept I was going for is there. That and distortion are two things I use a lot. I dig my distortion during solos and for when I'm really pissed off. Combine that with my fretless bass and I have another good way to scream when pissed... Sorta like I am now, but that's another story. <lol> Writing this made me feel better though..... TalkBass is GOOD.

4. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I've found myself quickly bored by effects. I have a flanger for quite a long time but I used it ... the first month after buying it ...
    Actually, I use a BOSS Chorus stomp box and an Ibanez EQ stomp box. I'm looking for a compressor and that's all, I think. Perhaps a delay in the future ...
    I tried several mutli-effects but I've always been deceived by sound or cost/use ratio.
    IMO, effects are fun ... for a short period.

5. I like Flanger the best...because if you crank the speed way up, it gives it a Tremelo effect, and if you put the effect (or whatever it may be, on Boss it's Regeneration) way up and the speed down, you get a Chorus-y effect. So it's really a bunch of effects in one, kind of.
    Wah also, you can do some funky shxt with a wah on a bass. (a la Burton/Newsted)

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    If I use efects, which I rarely do, I use either distortion, or varying levels of Chorus (from light to a maxed out tremelo-like effect)

7. BernardJohnson

BernardJohnson

Jan 9, 2001

I know you all might think this is crazy....but I just recently purchased a Dean Bass In A box headphone amp...it is a little bigger than a pager. There are 3 different tone selections (bright, flat, normal). depending on which one you select the bass can get deep, punchy or a combination of both. I brought it with the notion for practice only, however when I dialed up the different tones I thought for a moment.."what if I run it between my bass and amp"...so LO-AND-BEHOLD I tried it out and it sounded GOOD!, as if I was using a stomp box or DI unit. Now I'm not saying this is the answer for every bass player..but it works for me..I purchased it at Bill's Music in Baltimore, MD for $40.00. To
    me this little unit is cool for my private practice and for tone enhancement when playing thru my amp.

"The moral of this story......Big things come in small packages..!" peace BJ

8. I never used any effect gizmos, until 2 months ago, when I purchased a Korg (Toneworks) Pandora 3B. I've only tried the presets on it, and need to find the time to sit down and read the manual so that I can program my own 'tones' into it. I only like a handful of the presets, but can see the potential for some really great tones, if I could figure out how to use it. (And I'm supposed to be a computer technician:D )

9. I bought a Digitech BP8 last year. It has all the effects that have been mentioned and a cool fretless simulator. You can create and store 40 differant effects in it's memory and it has a built-in expression pedal. It's a preamp that is meant more for studio use than live stuff, but it still works pretty good for live gigs. It's kind of expensive (around $450.00), but it's pretty much the last effects pedal you'll have to buy since it's so versatile.

10. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    I've got an EBS octabass pedal which has good tracking down to G for a really fat sound.

One of our tracks I play an octave up and turn off the dry signal for a bass synth kinda sound. I quite like not using it at sound checks and then freaking the sound engineer out during our set when I click it in :D

Atfer that I've got a Boss Bass Chorus set up for a nice generic fretless chorus sound.

I've just got an ashdown amp with a bass harmoniser (another octaver) which sounds more natural than the EBS, so I'll probably use a little of that in my normal sound, and switch it off when the I click the pedal in.

Next up is the EBS bass IQ - should have that this time next month hopefully !

11. SlapDaddy

SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    As you mentioned, the sansamp. Also I found the BBE sonic maxamizer hard to live without. I have an old boss me-8-b that does the 'tricky' stuff.

12. Knobby

Knobby

Feb 23, 2001
    Oregon
    I go through phases...no effects, then 5 in a row, then none...

I've had stacks of effects over the years, and generally hate the multiple effects boxes, with one exception...

The Ibanez UE-303B. It a 9-series 3 in one job, with Comp, Chorus/Flange, and one of the best AutoFilters I have ever used.

Here's a pic on my page (pan down to the bottom pics):
    http://theknob.homestead.com/effects.html

Fun stuff.

13. i have a korg toneworks ax1b multi-unit. The sounds are pretty good for an all-in one, and has an advantage over stand-alone units in terms of # of plugs required (hence noise) and it has an expression pedal you can use to control one parameter of most of the effects (rate on chorus, depth of flange, rate of vibrato, etc).

The way it works is you set up "sounds" which you move forwards / back through (or turn on / off) with big foot-buttons. each "sound" is a combination of

1 dist/compression/ etc
    2 eq
    3 modulation
    4 pedal
    5 delay
    6 noise reduction
    7 amp sim

( or just one or a few of the above)

unfortunately only one from each group at once , ie cant run phase + flange (both modulation FX). I've found it really useful, most of the FX very useable + fairly customisable with some curiousities in there too, but would prefer the ease of use of stomp-box pedals (when i get around to buying them).

It makes a great 'phones amp for practice, too. Bought it for $330 australian ... MUCH less in US $ :(

I havent tested it side-by-side with dedicated pedals, but i sold a 2nd hand Boss phaser 'cos it dropped the bum + volume out of my signal .. these FX are all good like that, and you can balance them with the eq bit if you need.

I don't think it's QUITE noiseless, but it's not a problem - i dont think anything is truly noiseless ('cept outer space, of course). Has a noise gate built in which you can adjust sensitivity of.

Hope this helps.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gotta say, been mucking around...I'm now a wah feind! I was messing around, had a chorus (in maxed out "tremelo" setting), distortion and some funky wah going at once, my band mates thought I was going to melt down the practice pad! It was sooo cool. Now if only I could link that up to a delay, or a synth, or both!...Only prob is I really have to tweak with stuff to keep the sounds from the pedals and the feedback at min. Oh well, such is the price of fun I guess.

15. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have in the past been accused of using way to many fx on the bass. I have tried, and own, many many many of them. And all have something cool about them. The one major problem is, especailly with pedals, the input impedances are too low. This causes your signal to lose its integrity. Yea, the DOD Fx25 Env. Filter IS cool (esp. if you set it so the filter doesn't really open and you play lightly) but listen to what it does to your tone...even when it's not on. That always bugged me about fx pedals on bass. Recently tho' I discovered the LIne 6 pedal modelers. I am a looper and use their delay modeler for it's looping function, but the other delays in that box are very cool! (yes, I know what you mean about Metheny's tone applied to bass). And the LIne 6 Modulation Modeler has all the phasers and flangers and choruses (even the elusive Roland Dimension D which is great on bass) that you might want...No more signal degradation and both units feature True Bypass switching. All of that in one (large) stomp box. No more patch cable madness (which also detracts from siganl integrity). Y'know...signal integrity is a major issue for bass players. Look for pedals with TRUE BYPASS. Sure it will cost more, but you'll be thankful in the long run. MOst pedal effects are designed for guitar players. Guitarists can get away with some signal loss (tone-wise)...it's sorta expected, consider the source of their signal. But in bass-land, Tone Matters!!!
    I also own a TC Electronics Chorus pedal.....yep, pricey but way better than all others. Quiet and Thick. Next to that, the EBS Unichorus is Very good. As is their Bass IQ (I use that and their Octabass). and the EBS Multi Comp is also veruy good....although for an inexpensive compressor I prefer an ART Levelar(and I also own several VERY high end compressors...can vouch that the ART does justice to a bass. Nope it cannot compare to my LA2A or ADL or TL Audio rack comps, but for the money it is REALLY good. And I would never think of taking any of those comps to a gig!!) Distortion in a pedal...try Fulltone BassDrive or Zvex pedals. In a rack mood? How about SWR INterstellar Overdrive. ANd ....point of interest, a very cool rack unit for bass is Lexicon's long since deleted Alex multi fx. Sure, it's does one effect at time, no MIDI,and all...but the 'verbs are great (yes, reverb CAN be used on bass)....and while guitarists all rant that the chorus, flange and delays are not radical enough, they are perfect for bass! And it can be found VERY cheap!!!
    Wanna spend some dough? Go for a Lexicon MPX-G2. You'll never buy another effect.....well not for a while anyway.
    Max

16. Copycat

Copycat Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2000
    Pittsburgh, PA, USA
    Just got an SB-1 Deep Impact bass synth pedal by Akai, and it's very cool. Dead quiet in bypass mode, easy to use, knobs to control input and output levels. This is not a subtle effect--9 different analog synth colors. But if you're playing anything techno, trip hop, out-there funk, fusion or any other dance music, it's a killer.

17. Boss Bass Chorus =) I haven't found anything else that I like yet. but I've only been playing for a year so there's plenty of time to find stuff. =)

18. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I use a DOD Bass 30, Its not that great but it gets it's job done, I use it mainly for distortion, flange and Chorus, though I do have a few weird ones I use sometimes that remind me of screaming, and weird distorted Upright bass being bowed. I'll keep it around untill I get seperate effects for the things I like. I really wanna try the new Akia Synth pedal, and I wanna get a good wah and chorus..

Anyways, I'm out
    Later