What are your favorite music DVDs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Jan 17, 2002.

1. I only have James Taylor Live at the Beacon Theater and U2's Elevation, but they're both great, so now I'm looking for more. I've heard about some others, what do you like?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I like "The Old Grey Whistle Test" double DVD, which includes over 4 hours of "live in studio" performances from the 70s and 80s including :

Tim Buckley
    Edgar Winter band
    Curtis Mayfield
    Tom Waits
    Roxy Music
    Captain Beefheart
    Talking Heads
    PIL (original Line-up)
    Teardrop Explodes
    Robert Wyatt

PS it's a Region 0 DVD and is 292 minutes long!
  3. I am still waiting for the one Bruce mentioned, last time I checked it wasn't in USA format.

Some of my favorites.

Kool and the Gang Live at the house of blues
    Alice Cooper Brutal Planet
    Appalachian Journey: Live in Concert
    A night with Lou Reed
    Dizzys Dream Band
    and the reason I bought a DVD,
    King Crimson Deja Vroom.

All of these videos have perfect sound quality and there is not extra garbage to make up for the voice not maching the video. Just perfect concert films.

My roommate has AC/DC Stiff upper lip, it isn't on my favorite list but the production on this video is stunning.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

You should be able to play a region 0 anywhere - Wil Davis has already bought a copy from Amazon and managed to play it - see the thread on this - I bumped it!
  5. I have
    Led Zeppelin - The song remains the same
    Rage Against the Machine
    and Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Mexico City

There all great. my favroite is The Song Remains the Same
  6. I second Bruce re. "OGWT" double DVD. Really well produced, none of the "glitz/crap'", and 0.5-sec shots (which make me feel car-sick) which you tend to see more recent videos, but good solid music, excellent camera-work, and superb performances. Hey, I'm not into Country Music, but fell in love with Emmylou Harris - wow! she looks absolutely gorgeous on the DVD, and her band is really tight. Great performance! Bear in mind these sessions were done with no live audience (there wasn't room - the studio used was tiny!) The Police (performing for the first time on BBC TV), Edgar Winter doing "Frankenstein", Roxy Music - all really great stuff.

Actually, the only bad bits (for me) was Tom Waites (I just can't take him seriously - I always get the feeling he's sending-up someone) and also the wretched Anne Shyteingale - I can't stand the bloody woman! What a poser!

All in all, a damned good DVD - Thanks for the heads-up Bruce!

A word of warning though! - it plays OK on the DVD in my lap-top, but it refuses to play in my DVD player (Sony something-or-other) - sez that it's not compatible with area or zone or something. (I bought the DVD from amazon.uk, but live in the North-East USA).

- Wil
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I would like to check out that OGWT DVD, wonder when it will be available here. I saw a couple ratings of it on UK sites, they both gave it a 9/10.

The only music DVD's I have are:

Steely Dan: Two Against Nature
    Sade Live
    Rush Chronicles
    Led Zeppelin: Song Remains the Same
    DT: Live Scenes from a Memory
    Tool Salival

Hard for me to pick a favorite since I like the music on all of them so much. I'd have to say that the Steely Dan one is the best produced soundwise with nice 5.1 DTS and DD tracks. I think the Sade disc is the best overall show though.

The Sade disc is in 5.1 DD and it sounds fantastic, really captures the live ambience. If you're even a remote fan of her older stuff, I would say this is a must have disc. The band members that are with her really have some groove and remain very faithful to the studio productions. I was especially impressed with the horn player's spotlight moments. The bass player used a natural ash Ray that sounded nice as well.
  8. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Yes - Live from the House of Blues.

The production is outstanding and it has the only live video recording of Perpetual Change that I know of.
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Pearl Jam-touring band

then again, it's all a matter of preference
  10. I have...
    Incubus - When Incubus Attacks Vol. II
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Funky Monks
    Jimi Hendrix - Experience
    Various Artists - Tribute to Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Pink Floyd - The Wall
    Various Artists - Free Tibet
  11. Thanks for the update Bruce.

Thou it is not a DVD have you ever seen Urgh! A music war.

EDIT: Whoops looks like Wil can't play it out of the laptop.
  12. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA

Sweet DVD

13. My favorite of the ones i have is Dream Theater Scenes from New York, it's excellent. The other two i have are Joe Satriani live in San Fransisco and G3 live.
  14. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    As far as Prince videos are concerned, "Sign O the Times" is the best of them. Great backing band.

I kind of like Santana's "Sacred Fire."
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well...I'm anxiously awaitng Mudvayne's "Live in Peoria" full length concert DVD....but only because I'm really into Ryan Martinie...
  16. BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    so far i only have:
    chili peppers - off the map
    rage against the machine - battle of mexico
    pink floyd - the wall
    and im hoping to get salival by tool soon!

but my favorite so far, for what ive seen is the chili pepper's new concert dvd. off the map has an answome GUI and a great sounging concert. it also has some cool interviews and footage of there preshow warming up (like yoga and that kind of stuff). deff worth its money if you're a flea fan.
  17. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    The Pat Metheny Group's latest DVD from the Imaginary Day tour is incredible. It's worth it to hear Pat smoke "Heat of the Day" and "Minuano (Six-Eight)" and see him in action. It's great in general, so if you can check it out, by all means do.

Someone else mentioned the Metheny/Hancock/Holland/DeJohnette DVD. That also rocks.... hearing Dave and Pat devour "Solar" is truly a treat.
  18. Pat's from my town, Lee's Summit, Missouri. I think somehow that makes me cool! His brother Mike is also quite talented.
  19. Smashing Pumpkins - Video collection
    Bruce Springsteen - Live in N.Y.
    Rage against the machine - Battle of Mexico City
    Metallica - S&M
    Sálin - 12. ágúst '99
    Pearl Jam - Touring band

My favorites are the Pumpkins and Bruce, don't get Pearl Jam unless you're a real fan because the video quality is pathetic. The next thing I'm waiting (hoping) for is the live Metro concert with the Pumpkins.
  20. Bruce Lindfield

These sound interesting - I will look out for them in the UK - I'm a bit wary about buying things from the US - still can't get "Shadows & Light" to play!