Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your favorite tunes to play?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Converse to my other thread, what are your favorite tunes to play?

Ones that make an otherwise banal gig worth it?

Ones that lift your spirits, make you feel like everything will work out fine? Tunes that make you glad you can play?

I love playing "What Is Hip" by TOP, for instance...or "Work To Do" by AWB. Something that has a really deep groove and allows for interplay with the drummer usually makes me smile...

So what say you?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I like Back on the Chain Gang by the Pretenders ... the lyrics haunt me.

3. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Most songs written by Neil Young. Extremely simple instrumentation, yet very meaningful lyrics. Bass lays back and provides the foundation and the guitars (at least the good ones) drive it home. They're among the easier to sing while playing.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Currently I am enjoying playing "Before they make me run", the Supersuckers version. Great song. Now if I could just get the band to play it .....

5. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Stone Temple Pilots - Trippin On A Hole In A Paper Heart
    Spin Doctors - Cleopatra's Cat
    Sublime - Santeria

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I love playing Fly Me To The Moon. I've got a standards gig with a quintet and it doesn't matter if my amp's not working, if the sax player isn't there, practice is just garbage, etc., a few choruses of Fly Me To The Moon always brightens my (and everyone else in the quintet) spirits tremendously. The changes are easy beyond belief to navigate, even while soloing. Fantastic.

On BG, there's a tune I wrote a few months ago that is uber-therapy for me. Any time I'm feeling especially bad, I can play it for a while (anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes, depending on how into it I get) and I always feel better afterwards.

7. The entire album by Gentle Giant called "Missing Piece".

8. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Black Sabbath-Paranoid sets me and the band on fire.we play it really FAST.
    Metallica-Fade to Black goes through my heart every time we play.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    That is a great song. Everybody seems to do Iron Man, but I prefer Paranoid :bassist:

10. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA

Nice! Gotta love that one! especially "Winning"

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Lots of songs. Here are some I recall right now:

- "La Villa Strangiato", "Tom Sawyer", "Bastille Day", "Anthem", "The Spirit Of Radio", "Limelight", "The Analog Kid" and "2112" (Overture/Temples) - Rush. (also "YYZ", but :meh:, not to mention I don't have Geddy's awesome tone)

- "Cupid's Dead" - Extreme.

- "Back In Black" - AC/DC. Is there an award for the most powerful yet simple song ever written? This one is the undisputable winner, along with Van Halen's "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love". "You Shook Me All Night Long" is another AC/DC gem.

- "What Is Hip?" -Tower Of Power.

- "So Lonely" - The Police.

- "The Rhyme Of The Ancient Mariner", "Revelations", "Aces High", "Wrathchild" and "The Trooper" - Iron Maiden.

- "Sweating Bullets" - Megadeth.

- "Rosanna" - Toto.

- "Young Lust", "Comfortably Numb" (this one while singing) and "One Of These Days" - Pink Floyd.

- "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" - Rod Stewart.

- "Mr. Cab Driver" and "Are You Gonna Go My Way?" -Lenny Kravitz.

- "Goin' Blind" - Kiss. I like to sing and play this one. BTW, some of you may laugh at this, but I really enjoy playing Kiss' "Cold Gin". That simple but effective bassline (as recorded in the original studio version) fits the song perfectly and it's very groovy to me!

- "Hey Joe" - Jimi Hendrix.

- "Black Dog", "Whole Lotta Love" and the live version of "Celebration Day" - Led Zeppelin.

- "My Sharona" - The Knack.

- "Le Freak" - Chic.

- "Catholic Girls" - Frank Zappa. Also like to play the challenging bit he used to play live as a bridge between "Echidna's Arf (Of You)" and "Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?".

- The "Barney Miller" theme.

- Have you heard the intro theme played by Jethro Tull during their 70's tours that segues into "No Lullaby" ("Bursting Out" album)? That's a great short piece to play.

- "American Life" - Primus. I'm working on singing and playing this.

- About solo stuff: Some solo pieces by Stu Hamm (think of his typical ones minus "Moonlight Sonata") and Jaco's "Portrait Of Tracy". Also Van Halen's "Cathedral".

- Many Salsa and Merengue tunes that maybe most of you don't know.

More to come (I'm sure. Sorry for the long post!).

12. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    7 Nation Army - the bass is really the key instrument in the whole song, not just the beginning. Plus it's a cool-sounding bassline, even if it's reptitious and easy.

Rio (Duran Duran) - same thing as above. The bass is like the lead instrument in this song

Tom Sawyer - ditto with above.

Interstate Love Song (Stone Temple Pilots). I just like playing it. It's fun.

13. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Another couple faves that I have played in the past-

Chinese Way, Level 42

Everybody Wants to Rule the World, Tears for Fears

Through the Fire, Chaka Khan

September, EWF

All are great grooves, and all have a way of making me feel good. :)

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Wish You Were Here - Incubus
    Moondance - Van Morrison
    Mudshovel - Staind
    Cumbersome - Seven Mary Three
    Beat The World - Pressure 4-5

-Mike

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Anybody Listening? - Queensryche

16. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Ditto. I really wanna add "Trippin on a Hole" to our set list too. Robert DeLeo is very underrated. :)

She - Green Day. I play it finger-style but I tear that sucker up. :bassist:
    Doesn't Remind Me - Audioslave
    One Way Out - Allman Bros.
    Keep Your Hands To Yourself - Georgia Satellites

:cool:

17. Oh, yeah! "For Anybody" kicks A$$!!!
    Also try out their "Civilian" album. Great straight-ahead Rock and Roll! Almost ANYTHING by Gentle Giant. Very challenging!

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    Bullet with butterfly wings by the pumpkins

The other one is called "brewing up a strom" by an Irish band called the stunning we play it loud and rocky its great I really enjoy playing that one. Plus its about the only decent Irish rock song

19. Gorcbass

Gorcbass

Sep 16, 2005
    Galway, Ireland
    :eek: What about Thin Lizzy and Rory Gallagher.
    Take it back. Take it back I say. :p