1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are your favourite Gospel recordings?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jazzjames, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Jazzjames

Jazzjames

Oct 24, 2015
    Essen, Germany
    What are your favourite Gospel recordings?

My personal favourites are:

Amazing Grace - Aretha
    Live from Houston - Dorinda Clark-Cole

What would be some Gospel records with Andrew Gouche on bass?

Thanks, James

2. Jazzjames likes this.
  3. Kevbass4

Kevbass4

Feb 21, 2014
    DC Metro Area
    Anything with Joel Smith on it!!! This man was doing stuff in the 70’s and 80’s that I still can’t do today.

Jazzjames likes this.
  4. All the stuff Abraham Laboriel did with Ron Kenoly in the early 90’s.

trothwell and Jazzjames like this.
  5. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    These are a few of the ones I like.

6. Big Jon 71

Big Jon 71

Jan 10, 2018
    Oh man. Abe is one of my “guys” man. Just love his feel. Even the non slap stuff he does.

His stuff with the imperials “one more song for you” LP (which has “I’m forgiven” on it) and “priority” LP. Great stuff.

There’s a song called “there’s no time til you take it” on the priority album where he does this one chordal jazz lick - it’s like:woot:

Also his koinonia stuff. He actually sings on a tune called “all the time” of the life album “celebration”.

Check those tunes out. Awesome stuff for Abe fans.

trothwell likes this.
  7. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Jackson Southernairs

8. Phat Nick

Phat Nick

Mar 14, 2018
    Italy
    Yeah,for me too anything with Abe Laboriel is worth checking out :) some of my favorite gospel recordings: Andrae Crouch “no time to lose” (bass: Andrew Gouche and Abe Laboriel); Howard Smith “season change” (bass: John Pena and Andrew Gouche ); James Fortune and Fiya “identity” (a bunch of great players on this, I can remember Thaddeus Tribbett and Darrell Freeman); Israel and The New Breed “Alive in South Africa” (bass: Justin Raines); Philip Bailey “the wonders of His love” (bass: James Jamerson Jr,Freddie Washington,Abe Laboriel)

9. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    For full albums I would say Israel & New Breed: Live From Another Level.

NBC Worship: Worship Sessions Vol 1 is more like a cover of recent CCM anthems instead of originals which I use for inspiration.

10. trothwell

trothwell

Apr 9, 2008
    Phil Driscoll "Live with Friends"... features Abe on bass, and is just an extremely well executed album in general, I think, regardless of genre.

11. caasi91

caasi91

Sep 18, 2009
    SF Bay
    Tye Tribbet & GA
    I think the whole album is great and I’m not a Christian.