Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What Are Your Favourite Novels?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassGod, Jul 10, 2004.

1. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    The name speaks for itself, just wondering what you guys' favourite novels are. My personal favourite is Ernest Hemingway's 'For Whom The Bell Tolls'. It's a great book if you're into that type of story. So, list 'em, your favourite books! :)

Peace,
    Graeme :bassist:

2. "Street Lawyer" John Grisham (I think?) I like this book. But I don't read much so I shouldn't have an opinion :meh:

3. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    That is one of my favs as well.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You don't want to get me started

The Signal series - Nylund
    Cryptonomicon - Stephenson
    Motherless Brooklyn - Letham
    Kiss Me Judas and Penny Dreadfull - Baer
    Starfish and Maelstrom - Watts
    Riverworld series - Farmer

There are more, assuredly, but those stick out immediately.

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Any of the discworld books by Terry Pratchett
    Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
    American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Harry Turtledove has an alternative history series that started in the the Civil War with How Few Remain. Then did a trilogy based around a war between the USA and the CSA in about 1870 or so. Then another trilogy Starting with World War I but focusing on the North American front from Virginia to Sonora, and the occupation of Canada. Now book seven is in paperback. It ends with the CSA starting World War II with a sneak attack on the USA. So look for:

How Few Remain
    Ameican Front
    Walk in Hell
    Breakthroughs
    Blood and Iron
    The Center Cannot Hold
    The Victorious Oppostion
    Return Engagement

and at least two others to come.

My favorite thing in this series is recognizing people from our world that the book never comes out and totally names. Although in some cases the hints are pretty broad. ie...
    One of the characters is listening to a football game on the radio(in the late 1930's) and thinks how entertaining the sportscaster is. the sportscaster introduced himself to the radio audience with the phrase "This is your pal Dutch." and the character listening marvels at how Dutch could make a blowout game still entertaining. He even used the phrase 'That Dutch is a great communicater.' Oh come on people. Surely you got that. How about the depressive but gifted writer and WWI vet 'Ernie' who eventually kills himself?
    If you didn't get that one read the books it's pretty obvious.

I have other favorites too. But these are the ones that come to mind now.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good Omens indeed rocked pretty hard. American Gods was okay, But I feel it's entirely overrated, myself. Not bad, mind, you, just really hyped by Gaimens legion of Sandman devotees.

Neverwhere, however, is rather good.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Novels?

I'd have to say my faves are Richard Wright's "Black Boy", several Kurt Vonnegut novels, Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's series, CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia, Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings"s and The Complete Works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (which I read in it's entirety in 7th grade).

brad cook

8. Probably "To Kill A Mockingbird" or "Animal Farm"

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Aww yeah...classic Belushi...classic Belushi.

brad cook

;)

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm a big fan of A Separate Peace, by John Knowles.

11. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    Some novelists I like: Dostoïevski, L.F. Céline, A. de Musset, A. Camus, Sartre, P. Modiano, F. Kafka

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do the girls fall for that?

13. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S. Thompson

14. I don't really have favourite novels, but rather, series of novels...

Chronicles of Dune - Frank Herbert
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy - J.R.R. Tolkien
    Vampire Chronicles - Anne Rice
    Harry Potter Series - J.K. Rowling

15. Catch-22, Joseph Heller. Hilarity.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "What is that?"
    *Checks
    "Yossarian sitting naked in a tree."
    "Oh, good. Just making sure."

(Close, but ultimately paraphrased)

17. Acephalous

Acephalous

Jul 10, 2004
    Paris
    Not specially.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i pretty much like anything by Tim Lebbon, i am in the process of reading "Face" (for the 4th time)

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Major agreement for Catch-22, and anything by Hunter Thompson. My favorite part in Catch-22 paralelled(sp?) an event in my life closely enough that when I read it i laughed so hard that I scared the people around me.

When Yossarian tells Natelys whore that Nately has died and she kepps appearing out of nowhere to try to kill him reminded me waaaaaaay too much of an event in my youth. We were having a party and it was time for a beer run. I was one of the sober ones, so I went with two of my friends to stock us back up. At the store was a loud, obnoxious drunk guy. The clerk refused to sell him anything more in his state. He got mad at me for going to the counter at which he was failing to be served. So when I bought the beers he reared back and hit me(not really that hard, he was drunk after all.) I hit him back. He fell down. His friends dragged him out of the store.

Out in the parking lot, we loaded the beer into the car and started to get in. He ran up and hit me again. I hit him back he fell down. His friends grabbed him and dragged him away.

We got in the car and drove away. At a stoplight, he ran up alongside the car reached in the passenger window and hit me again. I jumped out. I hit him. He fell down. His friends grabbed him and dragged him away.

A few miles down the road all of this happened again.

A few more miles down the road it happened AGAIN.

At the last major intersection before the residential area the party was in, he did it AGAIN. He was too drunk to hit hard enough to hurt me but also too drunk to think "Maybe I should stop." So by the time we got back to the party I was justifiably paranoid. As I was walking in toward the house with an armload of beer someone suddenly stood up out of the bushes next to the walkway.

I nearly soiled myself.

It was a guy named Eric. He also had had waaaaaaay to much to drink. But ib his case in stead of attacking people in traffic, he was jumping out of bushes saying "Blaaaaaaaadladdleaddle!" or soomething similar. If I had not been carrying the beer I would have probably kicked him in the face.

We return you now to our regularly scheduled thread, already in progress.

20. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Anything by:
    Douglas Adams
    Tolkein
    Glenn Cooke
    Arthur C. Clarke (by himself)