Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your least favorite songs to play?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Bassic83, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I mean, what songs make you want to quit playing music and become a shoe salesman or something?

Do you have any really bad aversions to any particular song, one that makes you want to hurl whenever it's called?

My personal "hurlatron" song has to be "Crazy", by Patsy Cline...actually written by Willie Nelson (I love Willie, but I'll never forgive him for that one song!!!).

I can put up with a lot, but one nite the singer called it in EVERY SET!!! I quit the band that nite. She thought it was funny to see me in pain, I guess. We later reconciled, and she never called it again. I told her if she did, I would quit on the spot, unless the request came written on hundred-dollar bills, addressed to me.

So what's on your list?

2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    867-5309.

3. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    the universal bane of all cover band musicians: (drumroll please)

"Wonderful Tonight"

and it's evil henchman

"Old Time Rock and Roll"

It never fails to amaze me that people get so excited to hear a dull, tired sounding song for the 10,000th time.

4. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    +1 for Crazy. It seems like every BAD female singer on the planet knows it and wants to sit in.

All the others....plus...Cocain. What a snore that one is.

5. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    "Rock and Roll All Night" by Kiss. I absolutely HATE that song. Every time I think about how many times I've played that damned repeating chorus line over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again at hundreds of shows the past couple of years, it makes me want to staple my ears shut.

The only thing I can laugh about is that Mike Porcaro (one of my favorite players) ghosted for Uncle Gene.

:cool:

An honorable mention for "Play that Funky Music" too.

Lonnybass

6. Hands down -

Bad Moon Rising.

In every band, in every part of the country, in every situation, I have some gu****st twit wanting to play that song.

No! :scowl:

7. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Rockin' in the Free World and Roadhouse Blues

8. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Brown-Eyed Girl

9. MikeM

MikeM

Apr 21, 2004
    Edmonton
    Mustang Sally

10. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I Will Survive. God, I just wanna slash my wrists when I hear that opening vocal line. :spit:

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Sweet Home Alabama by Skynyrd... so repetitious.

Play That Funky Music by Wild Cherry... all the drunks who end up singing it only know the chorus, so there's no flow to the song at all.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Not that this is a bad song, but for a concert with my rock band in March '04 my band mates wanted to play Ozzy's "Shot In The Dark", but I was the only band member who wasn't thrilled by that tune. I accepted because I also suggested other tunes and they agreed, but I felt extremely bored playing it. I wanted to do "Mr. Crowley" instead, but the guitarist said that he hadn't enough time left to figure out the solo. Now, for an upcoming concert, all of us minus the drummer want to play "The Trooper" because this song reminds him of his obscure beginnings with a rock band. Not a valid argument to me. I'll have to mention again how I felt with SITD.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Crazy Train. :spit:

14. one of my bands song known as the "mexican song" the whole song in in spanish and I hate every minute of it, its reptative and the song leave pretty much no room the any of the other band mates to do anything but play a a traight rythem

15. jetsetvet

jetsetvet Banned

Mar 24, 2005
    I play with a guitarist that likes, "My Baby Does the Hanky Panky". I diplomatically endure this. At least I talked him into a double time fast chorus to end the thing with a little energy.

16. Brown Eyed Girl.

Never, won't do it, don't even ask.

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Cocaine - Wake me up when the guitar player is done wanking, so I can play something cool.

Roadhouse Blues - I still don't understand how people dance to this. Are people still taking LSD at shows?

Mustang Sally - aren't people tired of this song yet? A million songs have been written since this one, why this? 4 decades of being overplayed and counting.

Sweet Home Alabama - You're not from Alabama and never been there, why sing along with such reverence and nostalgia? Hasn't the novelty worn off?

Brown Eyed Girl - It's on classic rock radio every 4 hours, why do you want to hear it at the bar?

Suzy Q - I'll ask someone from the audience to hit the E every now and then, so I can use the bathroom to puke.

My Girl - Folks, please don't sing along to the falsetto part. Please, for the sake of the children.

Freebird - I got your free bird..... right here (flips the finger)

Summertime - Please don't ask us to play it, so you can sit in. No you really can't pull that song off, trust me. Bartender....call this lady a cab.

18. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    +1 to Summertime. I love the song, just man...its getting old. That and 'Day Tripper'. :bag: Just kidding.

19. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    If you're talking about Fogerty's Suzie Q, it could be that you're not playing it right. It's a lot more than just hitting the "E every now and then". Granted, it's no Jaco bassline, but I think it's fun to play. Take a listen to Bob Glaub's bassline(s) on Fogerty's Premonition album.

My feelings as well, 1000%!

20. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Wicked Games - HIM