what are your marcus miller preamp settings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pjcool, Jan 23, 2006.

1. pjcool

Jan 23, 2006
    First of all I would like to say hello to everybody (I'm new to this forum)
    I would like to ask Marcus Miller Jazz Bass users (I know that You are here somewhere): How do you set your inbuilt preamp.(I mean these two knobs: bass and treble)?
    Maybe you play only in passive mode?
    What are your favorite settings?
    I saw on some DVD that Marcus himself sets the two knobs all the way up, but for me this too hissy, too much highs.
    What do you think?
  2. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Just saying "hello" back to you!!

I don`t know anything about MM Jazz bass, but he might have it all on full to bring as much output from his bass as possible, then use external settings/preamps to mold his sound from there.

...or something. :) Good luck, anyways!
  3. lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    By chance, I just read at Marcus' website (www.marcusmiller.com) that he only boosts the bass and treble 2% and that is it. Maybe the new DVD that is about to be released in the U.S. has some comments about this?
  4. pjcool

Jan 23, 2006
    thanks for the reply. I've just also read about Marcus' settings on his website. bass - a little up, trable - a little down. This setting makes sense (sound):bassist:
    However I'm almost sure that the knobs were all the way up. When I find this dvd I'll put a snapshot here for you to look.
  5. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    Welcome to TB!
    i don't know anything about this pre-amp.. sorry..
    just to let you know that in TB there's a List of Subject that you can find the answer to your question. It's in the Pick-up and Electronics corner.

good Luck!
  6. t-ray

t-ray Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Alabama USA
    I record with a Sansamp BassDriver. When using the active
    Marcus Miller Jazz, I set the MM's pre a little past halfway.
    Generally with active basses, the SABD recommends EQ flat.
    But this setting really cuts through beautifully on digital
    recordings (for me anyhow).
  7. marcus miller also uses sadowsky pre amps in his basses