Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your musical goals for 2002?(Unearthed so you can check your answers)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    With barely two weeks left till a new year is born, I think it would be a good idea to talk about things we feel we need to work on to become better players. Sure, the path to becoming a great musician is long, but one year is enough time to cover a lot of ground.

*Practicing my Upright.

*Become proficient playing piano. No major achievements, just playing a melody on the right hand while comping chords with the left.

*Fretless bass intonation will definitely be on the agenda, as well as improving my reading in sharp and flat keys.

*2002 will be a major repertoire learning year. Thanks to all people who posted in my Jazz set list thread, I can (and will) focus on those tunes.

*Left hand technique: I have noticed my ring finger and pinky are weak when compared to my index and middle fingers. In effect, I feel I'm only "Playing with half my hand", the other two fingers just acting as auxiliary fingers. Goal: "Play with my entire hand"

*Right hand Technique: Refine my three-finger pizzicato and slapping.

*Lastly, I feel that I have enough quality basses to know that I can't blame the quality of my playing on my equipment, so no bass purchases either. New amplification equipment is ok. If I want a fretted 4, I'll just pull me old Ibanez out of the Mothballs. (God help me on this one. Maybe we need a support group or something)

So, anyone have any musical goals for 2002? if so, write them here.

2. Work on my drumming, as I'm just a beginner.

Sit and practice scales more on my bass(unplugged) while I watch tv.

Practice barre chords on my guitar when I'm sick of scales on my bass.

Try to write and record at least three new songs.

3. 1. Live long enough to see 2003, after M.I. 11/21.

2. To actually get my newest band on stage.

3. Play better, and practice more.

4. If I do keel over, that I'll have bass in hand.

4. work on my theory
    play more shows
    play less rather than more
    practice!
    get out into the world of session bass

5. Get a band together playing guitar and doing vocals.

So lynch me. I want to get away from bass for a while.

6. Heck, lotsa stuff!

Bass-wise:
    - Like BigWheel, practise my upright
    - Like SlapHappy, practise scales unplugged
    - Learn more of the (piano) keyboard
    - Sight reading
    - Buy an 8x10
    - Work on my own solo (non-bass) work more, with the view of moving into soundtracks
    - Budget to look at leaving work sometime next year to concentrate on music
    - Obtain some killer support slots
    - Put out our album and tour it!

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Great thread idea!

*Reading, in general. Right now, it's pretty pathetic, so that's the top thing.

*Double bass double bass double bass. The trinity...arco, pizzicato, and intonation. Man oh man does it need it.

*Fretless intonation. Just got the bass back from the shop after close to 3 weeks...uh oh. Not only that, but fretless tone. I need to continue to practice my feel on fretless in order to get better tone rather than relying on the amp to do it.

*Walking over chords, another big one that could use improvement...and lots of it.

*Practice more with alternating thumb-index-middle-ring rather than just index-middle-ring. Guess I need to pick classical guitar lessons back up again.

*Like always, more ear training. Who doesn't need it?

*Finish studio and record and write music with the new band, and play out a LOT.

*And again...reading.

8. to become the greatest bassist to ever grace the earth. also i want for atleast (emphasis on the atleat) 2 weeks after my death to be moarned by the entire planet.

i know i'm setting myself up for failure but high standards aren't always a bad thing.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Become a better bass player. This goal will be accomplished by doing the following:

• Work on increasing my knowledge of theory.
    • Continue to work on my reading. Get it up to an elementary level at least.
    • Pick up one of my basses every day. On days that I play out, no practice other than a warmup. All other days, spend at least 30 minutes working on scales, theory, reading, etc. Have at least 2 long (1-2 hours) sessions a week, one focused on theory, the other on technique.
    • Listen more. Pay attention to the musicians that I am accompanying and play for the song, not to impress other bass players.
    • Work on my fretless intonation(it's good, but there is always room for improvement) and try to become a more expressive, lyrical player, without resorting to the usual fretless cliches(at least most of the time, anyway;)).
    • Write at least 5 songs either alone, or with the band, for Lucid Dreamer, my Christian rock project.
    • Continue to work on electronic music, and learn how to use ProTools LE to combine the results with bass lines and guitar chords.

Now, the fun stuff!:)

• Get Lucid Dreamer off of the ground, be in shape for gigging within 3 months. Start out opening at the Christian clubs for local acts on week nights, and work our way up to opening for the national acts on weekends.
    • Play the IMA Texas Region General Conference at Fountain of Life Pentecostal church in Dallas, Texas. 9 Services in 4 days, with a host of top notch musicians, MOM's and vocalists.
    • Get the Lucid Dreamer demo remixed, and get the mp3.com site up, with most or all songs hosted.
    • Get some of my electronic stuff completed and posted on mp3.com.
    • Play out more often with the oldies band, or leave that band and start a 70's rock cover band with the drummer and guitarist.

No major equipment purchases this year, other than the Warmoth bass I am planning on building. Maybe add a 2x10 cabinet, and some kind of good overdrive unit for grind on the Lucid Dreamer stuff.

Looks like a busy year!:eek::)

10. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    • Get my band's demo done
    • play lotsa gigs
    • defret my jazz bass and learn to play fretless
    • learn how to read bass clef

11. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Goals for 2002:-

- Become a better bass player, focussing on all of the good things previous TBers have mentioned - more theory, learn scales, improve sight reading (more music, less tab!!!!), improve technique, improve improvisation, learn to slap!!!!
    - improve my singing - I do backing in the band, but I want to be better, to know what I'm doing, to know my limitations and improve in them;
    - to get our band signed to a major label, release our debut album that will go triple platinum in the first week, to start the world tour, to make loads of money, to see lots of places, but more importantly than all that bring some happiness to people everywhere through my music!
    - to begin living hapily everafter!!!

Oh boy, talk about a tall order!
    :D

12. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My goals for the year 2002 are as follows: 1) Put more time and money into my home-based Internet clothing company -- to make it the success I know it can be. 2) Put together a party-type cover band, in order to have a shot at playing my city's annual Octoberfest celebration. 3) Get better at playing my bass (maybe learn SN, some theory and work on my ear a little bit more) and hammer out some originals. 4) Buy myself a new bass (maybe a Rumblefish, Music Man or American-made Fender). 5) Put my old band to shame and make them wish they'd never let me go! 6) See GWAR for an unprecedented sixth time. 7) Buy a new motorcycle -- more than likely, a cruiser of some sort and 8) As Tim McGraw says, "Drink a few more lemonades and not so many beers."

Oh yeah, I'd also like to up my workout schedule from 2 - 3 times a week, to 3 - 4 times a week. :D Wish me luck -- I just know I can accomplish all of the above if I just put my mind to it!

13. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I am going to learn to play piano, and the Music theory that goes along with it, in the knowledge that it will make me a better player both of Bass and Guitar.

I have found a piano teacher who knows I play Bass and Guitar, and he is going to bear that in mind with what he teaches me.

First lesson Jan 3rd

Sorted

Me
    :D

Edit: also put all old bands to shame by getting a real tight band together and get gigging loads, That was a good one cheers to the chap who posted it (sorry in my haste I forgot to take your name)

14. PERSONALLY

To try to devote a little more time to practice and to make better use of that time [sincerely hoping Ed and one or two more @ TB might be helping with that.:D]

THE BAND

We'll have played 3 shows - all 'soft' gigs - after Saturday night. We then sit down and, taking everything into account, decide whether or not to carry on and / or in what form.

Those are the two musical things for me to do in 2002.

Have a super holiday folks.....:D :D :D

John

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    1)Quit smoking
    2)Learn standard notation
    3)Take voice lessons
    4)Add a second guitar player to new band
    5)Write some more songs and release a cd

16. Continue to practice as much as I do now -
    Learn the fret board -
    Find some people to start playing with -

Peace!

17. STAY AWAY FROM THE T.V.!!!:D

I feel any other goal I might have will naturally fall into place if I can accomplish this one.;) :)

18. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    * Improve my right- and left-hand technique to increase my fluency and stamina.

* Begin practicing sight-reading. I'm decent at it already, but I have to work up my reading speed.

* Record a CD with my originals band.

* Record a solo CD.

* Buy a new bass.

Theory really bores the hell out of me, so I set that as a goal for 2003... :D

19. Ozz

Ozz Guest

Nov 2, 2001
    suburb of dallas, tx
    Goals for 2002:

Focus on jazz standars: walking, soloing, memorizing.

Transcribe a bunch of Ray Brown and Paul Chambers basslines plus jazz solos from the greats...

Listen to and transcribe a lot more funk.

work on reading and theory

buy a new bass (6er)

play more with different people

Start lifting weights again to feel better and lose weight.

save enough money to start my new married life with ease. (Getting married in June
    :D )

20. -Buy some new amplification.
    -Finish the bass I am currently building.
    -Learn yet more theory.
    -Practise that theory.
    -Join a band or at least find a musician or two that are interested in going in the same/similar musical direction that I would like to go in.
    -Discover more music/bands.
    -Go to a concert or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.