Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your musical goals for 2003? How did you do in 2002?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here we are. 2003. Yepee.

I pulled out the "Goals for 2002" and I guess it was all right. Here's an assessment of my achievements. And a few more goals for 2003.

Sadly, #1 on my list didn't get done much at all. I really should practice my upright if I'm going to keep it around.

My piano playing did improve in 2002. I even composed a couple things on piano.

Could have practiced more fretless. I'll probably start alternating between fretted and fretless on rehearsals and gigs.

Some repertoire learned. I didn't learn as many as I thought I would, but focused instead on reading, which will eventually be helpful when learning new tunes.

Right/Left hand technique. Practice makes perfect. In progress.

My new goals are:

(1) To become fluent reading and playing in any key,

(2) To memorize Bach's cello suite in G major and start work on D minor,

(3) Work through as much of Standing in the shadows of Motown as possible,

(4) Improve my walking bass lines,

(5) List and review the jazz tunes I have played and solitify them, plus add new standards.

(6) Practice the upright!

(7) Learn latin grooves.

Ok, that's enough on my plate. How did you do and what in for you this year?

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    2003: Here goes, not in any particular order...

1) Improve my knowledge of Jazz theory. Vastly. I do have a good knowledge of Jazz theory, and definitely a good ear. I've done a lot of Jazz piano in the last few years, but I need to take it a lot further, and really get it down properly - particularly as far as improvisation goes. I mean knowing it inside out. I still think my improvisation is crap, for the most part. Objectively, it's not crap - but it's crap compared to how I could (and will) be. To this end I have ordered Levine's Jazz Theory Book. I will also go through all my jazz CDs (many of which haven't had the listening they deserve) and really dissect the tunes.

2) Start doing real practice - on all my instruments (piano, guitar, bass, trumpet, sax, voice). I mean I play a lot, at the moment, but not what I would call real practice. I'm gonna get my **** together in the practice department.

3) Finish my album. It's taking far too long. Admittedly I've been held up big-time over the last few months due to the unavailability of the equipment (I'm using a borrowed Yamaha AW4416 to record it - but before too long I should be getting my own Roland VS2480). They're all my own songs, and I'm doing all the playing. Sometime this year I may upload some of it.

4) Don't buy so many CDs - until I've given the ones I already have the listening they deserve. Some of my CD collection I know really well, some not quite so well, and some has barely been listened to. For example I went through a little phase of buying Miles albums about 18 months ago, and they've barely been listened to. I've got 9 of his albums (Milestones, Kind Of Blue, Sketches Of Spain, Miles Smiles, Miles In The Sky, In A Silent Way, Bitches Brew, Big Fun, On The Corner) and Kind Of Blue is the only one I know really well. The others I know superficially at best, and not at all at worst.

5) Oh yeah, and get the Sher Real Book (all 3 volumes) and learn some standards :)

Lets see how I'm doing when this thread is unearthed next year... :)

3. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Here's mine for 2003:

Play more.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

1) Learn more songs and styles
    2) Play fewer notes
    3) Improve pocket consistency
    4) Improve chart reading
    5) Improve creativity

I'm comfortable playing in any key, but I really should relearn to read music. I don't have immediate need so I keep postponing that.

The only goal I had in 2002 (aside from overall skill improvement) was to work on my stage presence. No flashy moves required... I just want the audience to know how much fun I'm having onstage.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I thought that I did badly, but now that I think about it, I met with lots of other musicians, had my first real experience of bandwork, joined two bands and had my very first public gig. Kinda good, after all! :)

So if I'm to set goals for 2003, I'd say they are to learn some piano and composition, write atleast one song of my own and do some gigs.

6. last year didn't make any this year:
    To become the most talented bass ist ever to exist.:cool:
    however since that will probably take until at least 2005, I would like to finally get Fur Elise (the whole thing) into tab/be able to play it on bass and on the piano(which shouldn't take nearly aslong as bass).
    GET A BAND, FINALLY I have had no luck with finding people.:mad: :(
    and if this isn't for music only then:
    get my black sash in Pai Lum (its the style of kung fu which I study) and get the brands of the tiger and the dragon on my wrists:)
    and to be more social and get a girlfriend. OK only be social enough to get a girlfriend and then revert back to my "if-you-aren't-my-friend-and-I-don't-know-you-from-somewhere-then-I-don't-want-to-be-near-you"/anti-social attitude

7. 2002 - Broke up w/ band in febuary. Started something new in Nov. Bought lots of strings. Tryed to cut the end of my finger off (Successful!). Got better in many ways.

2003 - Play out 2-3 weekends a month, 1-2 times a weekend. Continue to write songs as we have. Buy more strings. Find a cure for my tendonitis in my left wrist. Explain to everyone that I'm not as good as they think, prove it by playing out. :D

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Let's see how I did:)

• I did increase my understanding of theory.
    • I did not increase my sight reading ability.
    • I did practice more than the year before, but not as much as was my goal.
    • I have been laying back more, and trying to play for the song instead of showing off.
    • My fretless intonation did improve, although I still have the occasional bad ear day.
    • Did not write any songs this year.
    • Didn't have time to work on electronic music, and gave up on Pro Tools since it doesn't work with Win2K or XP.

Fun stuff:
    • Lucid Dreamer is off the ground. It is going slower than I would like, but we gigged several times last year, including our first paying gig New Years eve.
    • Played the IMA conference at my church. Lot's of fun, got to play with a lot of outstanding musicians and vocalists.
    • Did not have the money to remix the Lucid Dreamer demo. All of our songs are on the mp3.com website, but only three will show up now that they changed their free member policies.
    • Played out quite a bit with Vinny and the Jets. I am now quitting that band, and starting a 70's cover band with the drummer and guitarist from Lucid Dreamer.

All in all, a good year.

9. I didn't have any defined goals for last year but, in the end, I wanted to somehow walk away knowing I had become a better bass player than the year before- a goal I feel I've met. Last year, as it turns out, was a fairly productive year for me.

- I got into a band that gigged (and actually got paid) fairly consistently- we played over forty dates last year.

- I improved on my sight reading- At times I was pretty dilegent in practicing new pieces of music and found the learning curve greatly improved as I went along.

- I improved on different techniques and musical styles- I made it a point of practicing stuff I didn't feel I was very good at. I feel the only way to expand your comfort zone is to practice outside your comfort zone as much as possible and last year I was able to put that concept into play much more than in most years past.

My goal for this year is to, once again, walk away knowing I'm a better bass player than last year. For me the bottom line is staying focused- If I can stay focused on improving myself as a bassplayer, everything else will just fall into place.

10. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    1) Work on my right and left hand technique
    2) Get better at reading
    3) Learn more songs by ear
    4) Get better in circular breathing

I did work on my technique.
    I did not improve my reading.
    I learned more songs by ear.
    I got better in circular breathing.

My musical goals for 2003:

1)Improve my reading
    2)Work on my technique
    3)Improve my knowledge of Jazz theory
    4)Learn how to play harmonica!

11. Dorminator

Dorminator

Oct 22, 2002
    USA
    some goals I had in 2002 :

I had pretty much given up music for a real life, (ha) but after I got the real life I of course missed music, so one goal I had and I accompished was to take piano lessons. I had to first find a teacher that suited me and after a lot of asking I managed to find someone who could inspire me and challenged me a great deal. Unfortunately I also was pushed into a great deal of travel, so even tho i accomplished my goal, I countered it by being gone for weeks at a time.
    Since I had also given up the violin and the bass I was hoping I could 'cancel' out the classical nature of my mind and practice improvisation on the piano. this worked pretty well, and although I am extremely remedial at that, I actually made some sounds that inspired me to continue 'practicing' .

This Year, now that I have an electric bass, I hope to rearrange my mind to understand how to crawl all over it without the mental concept of what notes I am playing or what key I am in, as this has been a limitation to my musical freedom. I'd like to be able to play with a tune and not have to read it... just hear it and flow.

I also hope to continue with the violin and expand from all the 'irish' and blue grass I've been doing and learn how to count out and stay with the changes of a basic blues pattern, and while I am doing that I hope to gain back some familiarity... as I have let it die pretty hard.

I truely would like to engage in a study of theory, chord progressions, and composition.

Basically I am still in the 'regain some losses' stage of things, but feel hopeful and inspired.

thanks for putting this out there... it sure helps.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    My Goals for 2002 were to:

To increase my knowledge of music theory
    Better my site reading skills

did that

Expand on my styles more so i can become an overall more versatile bassist

completed that one too

learn and master some new techniques (tapping)
    improve on some old techniques

failed to acomplish the task at least for tapping, slapping got alot better though so I acomplished part of that goal.

take lessons

failed on that one too, unless ya count Gard showin me a few things a lesson

obtain more method books/instructional videos
    completed tast

learn a new instrament (drums)
    nope

learn how to use all this home recording software I have
    some but not all so nope

purchase a 6 string bass and learn to play it
    nope

purchase a new head/cab (eden xst or xlt 4x10) not sure of the head yet
    nope

get more session work
    yes

find and join a top notch well paid working top-40, pop cover band.
    not yet

to inspire others to pick up and learn the art of bass guitar
    oddly enough yes

take on a student and give him/her lessons

yes one student, 2 lessons

anything that involved spending a few hundred bucks didnt pan out for me, damn priorities!

Goals for 2003 are:

Continue to learn more theory
    Improve on technique
    Take Lessons
    Obtain more fill in work
    Play for a church that will pay me a good salary
    Write an original or two
    Take on Students

13. I didnt have any goals for 2002, but for 2003 i have a couple.

-Improve my walking bass lines and knowledge or jazz theory. (walking lines are abyssmal as of the moment.)

-Bring the first movement of Bachs Cello suite in G Major up to speed and perform it in a school recital.

-Practice everything I play (bass, trombone, piano, and voice) as often as I can.

-Learn to play the upright.

-Figure out if its possible to play lots of jazz chords on the ukelele.

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You what??

15. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    In no particular order....

1)Find a teacher and get some lessons
    2)Learn to read music
    3)Compose a solo
    4)Improve on technique
    5)Get a gig
    6)Get a girlfriend
    7)Practice everyday...and learn at least one thing everyday
    8)Become a better musician and person overall

16. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Continue growing on the upright.

I've got to keep it simple - it's a big task :)

17. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    2002--

1. Get the band playing out more--did that.
    2. Work on improving my right and left hand technique--made vast improvements.
    3. Learn more about theory and such--not yet.
    4. Work more on different techniques--made huge improvements on slapping and tapping (not like I use them very much, though)
    5. Buy a fretless bass and learn to play it with decent intonation--Nope, not yet.
    6. Buy a 6 string bass--decided I really have no need for one, so no.
    7. Practice more alone as well as with the band--yep.

2003--

1. See #5 above
    2. See # 3 above
    3. Continue keeping the band playing out and making money, extending our coverage area
    4. Continue expanding my musical horizons, working on different techniques and becoming more familiar with different styles.
    5. Brush up on my sight reading skills, I have not had to read music in a LONG time, to I am a bit rusty.
    6. Practice, practice, and more practice. I have grown a lot as a bass player in the past couple years, but I know I can be better.

18. Aspirations for last Year:

1) Smooth Operate and make the ladies melt in my hand

2) Keep being the prettiest TBer.

I am happy to say I accomplished Each and everyone one of those!

Aspirations for this year:

1) Keep smooth operating

2) Keep being pretty

BIO 2003!

Oh...and some bass stuff:

1) Stop sucking
    2) Get good
    3) Get really good
    4) Learn to read in bass clef
    5) Memorize my book of Motown bass lines
    6) Groove like a mofo

That is all

19. Didn't do this for 2002 but its worth a shot for this year, so:

1) Play the piano more often so that I don't lose all my ability like I did with the clarinet.
    2) Start writing songs on the bass instead of the guitar.
    3) Defret old 4-string and learn how to play fretless.
    4) Get band back to regular gigging.
    5) Buy a DB and learn how to play it.
    6) Win the lottery (hey, its the only way I would be able to afford a DB :D).

20. Didn't make any official goals for 2002 aside from improving my pinky strength, which I've done pretty well with.

So I'll make some for this year, in order of importance:

1. Learn how to read music. A skill any musician should have. I know the basics, now it's time to get cracking.

2. Get my band out playing gigs more often.

3. Record a few original songs. I bought a mixer and a new guitar, so I have all the tools to do some simple recording.

4. Improve my barre fingering. It's a major weakness of mine.