1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are your MXR Blowtorch settings?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by portaflexer, Mar 2, 2008.

1. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Forgive me if this thread already exists, but I searched for one and couldn't find it.

I know this pedal has quite a following... let's see how you're setting them.

Here's mine:
    IMG_3012.

2. portaflexer

portaflexer

Jan 31, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Not one response eh? I'm kinda shocked. ;)

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    I'll get back to you on that one. :p

I have a few settings I use - I've been reluctant to post them only because I've been too busy trying to get some clips to go with it. :)

My current setting:

Level: I forgot - but my aim is to be a little above unity gain
    Bass: 12:00
    Midrange: 200
    Mid Shift: 2KHz
    Treble: 11:00
    Blend: 2:00
    Gain: 3:00
    Torch Switch: ON

It's menacing. :bassist:

EDIT: Changed the gain setting above from 9:00 to 3:00 (although I do use the 9:00 setting from time to time, I prefer the higher gain). Bryan R. Tyler made it apparent that I am occasionally dyslexic with clocks. :scowl:

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The Torch alternates, depending on wheather I want light growl or crazy fuzz.
    Photo-0007.

5. Bad Seed

Bad Seed

Dec 5, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    anyone have any sound clips of this? I'm curious what it sounds like

6. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    Mine is on its way back(it broke) to me this week. Im curious if anyone can give me a good setting to get the muse song- "Time is running out" in the meantime...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=aaNfQCqclW4

7. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    can anyone emulate the "time is running out" song by muse with the blowtorch?

8. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    My favorite setting: Returned.

9. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
  10. Sir Edward V

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I probably tried it when I had it... but I can image how I could get a Muse sound out of it... bass freq up on the bass, blend at about half... roll off some highs and bump up the mids probably at the 2k freq setting... I'd probably boost the lows a little too... dunno about the torch switch, but the gain/dist would probably be close to full on...

edit: I'm thinking torch on

11. kmk42019

kmk42019

Aug 14, 2006
    Baltimore
    Thanks

12. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Here's my setup:

[​IMG]

I play progressive extreme metal, and this setting easily cuts through the heavily distorted guitars.

13. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK
    :)

Jut wondering if any of you have tried to get a similar distorted sound to the one Tim Commerford uses... how close do you get?

Would you mind posting the settings you are using for this particular tone, please?

Thanks!!!

:bassist:

14. PauBass

PauBass

Apr 25, 2006
    Brighton, UK

Any comments/advice getting this sound?
    Settings, please?

:meh:

15. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    This is from the day I got it. The settings are a bit different now.

[​IMG]

Now it's
    Volume: 10
    Bass: 1
    Midrange: 2
    Treble: 10
    Blend: 1:30
    Gain: 3
    Mid Switch: 750 Hz
    Torch Switch: ON

16. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

Probly gonna get it for diggin up a 4 y o thread... but I just loooooove settings threads :hyper:

Just got this yesterday, so I have very few actual experience with and have not tried it yet with my band set-up. Can't wait to see how its going be greeted by the 2 15 inchers.

Interesting pedal: the manual mentions overdrive, distortion and fuzz. Sounds overdrivey without the torch and either distortionish or fuzzy with the torch on, depending on the settings. Mine is more fuzz, to my ears anyway.

17. I love thread revivals!
    Could the Blowtorch manage light OD? If so can anyone post clips?

18. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008

I run it pretty like you do, BassMike62. Except I have the mid-shift at 750hz.

19. Bassmike62

2 things surprised me with this pedal: range of dirt sounds and quietness. This thing is dead silent. From what I read here and on HC, the silence part is due to the fact that it runs on 18v.

As for range: It can do a very light and likeable OD effect (to my ears) as well as a more intense fuzz (my settings, but I'm sure it can be tweaked for even more grind). I'm not really equipped to do clips but here's what I listened to that convinced me to buy this pedal:

I turned into a huge MXR fan after buying the Phase 90, so I'm a bit partial.

;)

Driven Crane likes this.
  20. Bassmike62

To my ears also, the 750hz sounds better :). I have a feeling that I won't be able to use the 750hz with my regular cab. We have band practice in 10 days, so I'll know then.