Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your opinions of Mesa Boogie cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I think the title is pretty self-explanatory. I'm interested to read what you think.

2. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I played through a couple new Mesa Cabs last weekend when I was demoing the Venture head (M Pulse 600 in an enclosure). The Cabs were a Mesa 2x10 and I think a 1x15. I was totally impressed with the sound. Since I was only wanting to hear an M-pulse head, I really didn't pay attention to the cab features, weight or price. But they sounded very nice.

3. not only do they sound great! they look great too! Both Diesel and Powerhouse series

4. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have the 2X10 and 1X15 Powerhouse cabs. I love them. They are my favorite - let me get this right - pre-EQed cabs. I am as fond of them as I am of my Accugroove Whappo Jr. How's that!?

5. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Don't forget the Road Readys'...

Speaking of those, the holidays are looking to shape up to be a merry one! Maybe... :ninja:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

6. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I just find it weird that you rarely see any stores carry them and I've never seen anyone rave about them or have actually met anyone that has one of their cabs.

I was actually considering getting their 2x15 and 6x10.

7. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I have 1-2x10 and 2-1x15 (all Diesel) cabs and don't think I'll be changing anytime soon. I run 500 watts to the pair of 15's and 500 to the 2x10 and the full range of tones comes through clearly. It puts out a lows you can feel in your chest and covers upper harmonics nicely. After going through many different setups over the years this is the first time that I have been truly happy with my rig/cabinet situation. I only added the 2nd 1x15 recently and that made a HUGE improvement......still plenty portable and only one more trip to the vehicle :p

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not many stores carrying them due to the policies and choice of Mesa Boogie, I'm sure. Certain GC's carry Mesa, so go there for the fastest and easiest way to locate some Mesa stuff. Then I'm sure certain independent stores carry them too. You can buy direct or used as well.

You can hear a lot of raving about Mesa cabs here on TB. A search will reveal that for certain. I see 4 groups when it comes to MB stuff:

Group 1) A lot of beginning bassists (gear-wise) won't have MB gear because it's not easy to find and not in your face at all the music stores (okay, not AS in your face as other stuff ON SALE! or CLEARANCE!).

Group 2) A lot of less affluent bassists won't have MB gear because admittedly, it's kind of pricey (not for what it is, but compared to most other typically visible affordable brands).

Group 3) A lot of less resourceful bassits who probably could afford it and think that MB stuff is great don't like buying used or don't know where to go for used stuff (like here at TB) so it seems out of reach.

Group 4) Then of course there are those who just don't like the MB sound or style, or it's not for them or the music they play.

I was in group 2 and 3 (actually STILL in group 2 haha). But there are those who have started researching beyond what they see in stores, rich or not-so-rich, and then find out that they can buy quality used stuff, older or newer, at affordable prices if they look hard enough. People like all of us here...including me! (i'm part of the "broke as heck" crowd). Either that or they save up long enough to afford exactly what they want to buy, new or used. Both of which I respect greatly.

Anyway, long answer to a good question about why it seems like nobody likes or has boutique type gear (not that MB is that boutique...is it? I dunno...it's not THAT expensive or rare).

:ninja:

-T

9. BassDemon

BassDemon

May 18, 2004
    I've only tried a 1x15 powerhouse cab.

I wasn't using my Bass or my amp so take my input with a grain of salt.

I found the M/B 1x15 to be very bass shy. Comparared to an Ampeg 1x15 and my SWR SOB 1x15 it didn't seem to have the low end.

It did have a nice mid-range growl.

Again - I wasn't using my own gear to check it out so perhaps the Bass EQ on the amp was rolled off.

I do like how the M/B cabs look and the Road Ready desgin is a great idea.
    I think they really need to fit speakon plugs on some of the bigger cabs.
    Feeding 500w through a 1/4" plug doesn't seem to be a good idea

10. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hey, this is exactly something I was going to ask about in another thread! I was asking if a 2x15 would be similar or comparable to a pair of 1x15's. Then I also wondered what would happen if you added a 2x10 to a 2x15 or pair of 1x15's. So you basically gave me one positive testimony...yeah! Thanks.

Question: How exactly do you arrange this tri-cab creation? I imagined the two 1x15's side by side, with the 2x10 on top between them and your amp rig on top of the 2x10. Eh? Pics if you your recent rig, if you have any, would be much appreciated.

Too bad my amp alone probably couldn't handle something like that due to the 2.67 ohm load. So just like you, I'd have to add that poweramp. Darn! More weight involved. Oh well. Something to think about.

Sorry, back to Mesa talk :D

-T

11. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Uh oh... you might have opened the can of worms labeled: "Speakon vs 1/4".

12. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    I put the 2 15" cabinets on the bottom then the 2x10 and top it off with the rack/head. It's the perfect height for me to get a nice blend of the cabinet tones. I don't worry much about what the "crowd" hears since they get mostly the PA feed anyway. Here is the only pic that I have handy since the rig is at my practice spot.
    ....and BTW, I added Speakon jacks to the jack plate on the cabinets so all is well for delivering the power. :bassist:

13. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Whoa, awesome rig incubus!

Man, now that might be too tall for someone like me, but it's worth a try someday. Good stuff! I bet that thing makes hearts hurt bad...

-T

14. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Well, I am a 6'2" gork so the height isn't an issue. The worst part is hoisting that god forsaken heavy freakin' rack (about 90lbs) on top of the cabs. Someday maybe I'll be lucky enough that my amp will croak and I can get something lighter :D

15. "I think they really need to fit speakon plugs on some of the bigger cabs."

They have speakons on all their new cabs.

I run a Bass 400+ through the "new" series powerhouse 2x15. Fantastic tone in an attractive 1/2 tonne box! Heavy as all hell but THICK tone with suprising punch. Highs galore, even with the horn off. Here's a pic...

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I have the 2X10 and 1X15 Powerhouse cabs and power them with a Ampeg svt pro4. Best setup I ever had the powerhouse cabs rock!!

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I really like the older RR and Diesel cabs, and I own a Diesel 4x10 ("Deep") and Diesel Powerhouse, Jr. (12" and four 8"). I did not care for the Powerhouse series (not to be confused with RR or Diesel Powerhouse models!) when they first came out, but the latest iteration sounds fairly respectable. Jon Files at Bass Emporium in Austin carries darn near the full line. You may want to talk to him (www.bassemporium.com).

When I bought my Boogie 4x10 in the mid 90's, I was strongly leaning towards Eden or SWR, but when I listened to every cab I could, the Boogie's were just more articulate and well-balanced (I don't care for the low-mid humps or scooped upper mids). The older 2x15's are incredible! I think that one of the reasons that you don't see Boogie as much now (and the reason that I don't gig with mine anymore) has been the rise of some smaller (arguably "higher end") bass cab manufacturers, like EA, Accugroove, Epifani, Bergantino, etc.

Personally, I consider Mesa Boogie one of the top of the "mass market" bass amp/cab manufacturers, but I do have an addiction to some of that "botique" gear! :D

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm a big fan of the older cabs, especially the EV loaded RoadReady stuff. My current rig is comprised of a 15 on top of an 18 - no lack of low end here! Perhaps I'll bring in my 210 to put on top like some of these other guys.... hmmmm...

I haven't had too much experience with the new cabs - well, maybe I've had more than most, but if I haven't tried it with my personal rig and my bass, I can't make a completely fair assessment. But here's my take: the older cabs are for guys who can really play. They aren't very forgiving, as they bring out certain nuances in your playing that other cabs do not. If you're playing fretless, and you're slightly out of tune, you will know it! They are very quick and punchy, and have a tighter low end than the new stuff. Some people find them to be a bit harsh compared to the new stuff, and lacking in low end. The new stuff is I guess what you could call sweeter - more lows, less pronounced mids, mellower highs. They are certainly more modern sounding, and I think they kind of sound like a cross between Ampeg and Eden cabs. They have more low end than the old cabs, but are not as tight sounding. Overall I find them to be more polite and forgiving , which is great for alot of players. Just not me.

19. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Nevertheless, I still liked them... :p

And I fully agree with your assessment of the tonal differences between the older and newer Boogie cabs.

Merry Christmas, all!

Tom.

20. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Hi Ben, That was a great cover. I saw a new ad in bass player, it showed the cutaway section of ther newer cabs. Nice bridge bracing, and I like the idea of three different tri ports. I LOVE IT WHEN COMPANIES SHOW YOU THE GUTS!. ....... My older P1000 has 2 different slot ports, but I modded the cab by sealing the two 2-10 compartments. I also have a RR 2-15 that I olny played out once, but the P1000 is much fuller sounding. I have been playing an Ampeg 8-10 that I recently refurbished, but have been thinking about switching back to the P1000 lately. I need a replacement 15 driver. Mesa stuff really has it together. Build quality, roadworthy, sound, reputation, and customer care, and stage sexy.