What are your personal favorite Jaco songs?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ben Vail, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I have my personal favorites - but what are your favorite songs played or written by Jaco?

For me most of them come off his self-titled album...

Portrait of Tracy
    Donna Lee
    Onkole y Trompa
    Liberty City

...too many
  2. As much as I've tried, I just cannot get enough Liberty City. I listen and listen and listen and still I want more. I wish it were a 24hr long tune!
  3. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Havona with Weather Report is my favorite.
  4. Ben Vail

Ben Vail

Jul 29, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Set it up on the computer and get it to loop endlessly for endless hours of Jaco Fun :D
  5. Hmmm...damn, Liberty City is tight...

yeah, Liberty City it is!
  6. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    Forgotten Love...it sounds like a chronilogical soundtrack of his life...eerie.
  7. Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    Opus Pocus, it's wicked!

Then again, all Jaco's stuff kicks ass.
  8. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    It's probably his least 'jazzy' song, but "Come On, Come Over" floors me every time. Jaco and Narada Michael Walden lay down a serious groove in that one.
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

The Chicken!​

10. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Sunday with michael colombier, he really got some nasty (good)vibes on this one, and of course continuum.
  11. My current fave has to be Blackbird. Dayum that's a gorgeous rendition. Portrait of Tracy and the Chicken are close runners up.
  12. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    4 AM by Herbie Hancock (Mr. Hands). It's basically a groove tune, but when you have Jaco and Harvey Mason playing together, it's more than just a groove. ;)
  13. +1 Great tune.
  14. Mercy,Mercy,Mercy from the "Curtain Call" album. It was recorded like a month or 2 before he died (might be his last recording, not sure). It's a phenominal album, but this tune really sticks out. Also:
    (used to be a)ChaCha
    Liberty City
    3 Views of a Secret
    The Chicken (from the Birthday Concert)
    Teen Town from Live inItaly (with Birelli Lagrene). This one just destroys the Heavy Weather version.
    A Remark You Made
    Dry Cleaner From Des Moines (Joni Mitchell)
    Word of Mouth
    John & Mary
    Opus Pocus
    Kuru/Speak Like a Child<----Gotta love that string section!
    Good Question--Herbie Hancock
  15. Surprised few of you mentions three views of a secret. I think it is, technically speaking, his best composition. That doesn't mean a tad, though - compared to the fact that it is perhaps the songs that brings out most emotions in me. Its beautiful simplicity is just stunning.

I could go on, though. POT is obvious. Countinuum too. His solo on that one! Not to speak of Havona. Fantastic tune with an even more fantastic solo.

Jaco is dead, but his music lives on. And it's not just a clichee. It's fact.
  16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I have a complete transcription lying around here somewhere, pm me if you're interested.
  17. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Barbary Coast...........is Jaco Funk at his best
  18. 'refuge of the roads' and 'coyote' - joni mitchell
    'black market' - 8:30
  19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    in france they kiss on main street/shadows and light