1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What are your settings on your Volume, Volume, Tone Bass? (Pics inside)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Muckaluck, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    WarwickStreamerStd.Summer2007004.

So here it is, the New (used) Warwick Streamer Std. Since I got it this week I think I've played more bass than I have in the last month. I'm totally in love.

As a born again virgin to the passive electronics scene I'm curious how to set the knobs on the bass. This is much different from my active basses which have one volume knob and some bass, treble and midrange knobs that can be pretty flexible. This bass has two volume knobs and a tone control; similar to my old passive P copy but when you start messing with the two volume controls... look out! The tonal range on this thing is outstanding and I'm just starting to figure out how to get more 'grind' or 'punch' when I want it.

The question I'll throw out is how do you arrange your passive bass that's set up with volume, volume, tone electronics?

Right now I have the tone set at half way, the bridge pickup at full and the neck pickup at about half. It makes for a sick funky jazzy tone. I've also been told that tone on full and roll off on each volume knob just a bit is a popular method.

I'm interested to see what everyone else is doing with their passives.

2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Neck Volume: 75%
    Bridge Volume: 100%
    Tone: 85-100%

3. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I usually leave em all full on, maybe turning the tone down to 70% or so at most. An exception is my Aria IGB 50. I like to keep bridge full and the P pickup on half or less, it has a very neat tone then.

4. Everything wide open.

5. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Experiment with your settings. Eventually you'll find something you like. You probably have already ;)

6. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    Volume all the way up - tone 75% down - on both my Fender Jazz and PBasses.

7. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I rarely play with neck pup only. Usually everything's wide open, but I play around a bit sometimes. Tone is never all the way down, but sometimes down to maybe 20 % left. Bridge pup is next to always 100% on, but I vary the volume of the neck pup quite often.

EDIT: That's for my fretless squire J. My warwick sees a larger variety of settings. I prefer the knob configuration volume, pup balance & tone that the Warwick has.

8. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Normally everything wide open. If I find the need to cut the treble I turn it down a little on the amp as opposed to using the tone knob.

9. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    From reading the posts It seems like everyone does something a little bit different. I'm sure there's a difference between the jazz pickups and the MM pickups in terms of favouring the bridge over the neck or vice versa. Furthermore, after playing a different rig at practice last night it seems that room dynamics and amp/cab types strongly affect bass settings. As well, it seems many people are convinced that different finger styles have different parts to play as well.

I continue to trudge into the abyss of bass settings....

10. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    Hamer Cruise Bass USA

Neck: 80%
    Bridge:100%
    Tone: 90-100%

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Ric 4003

Bridge Tone full CW

Bridge Vol full CW

Neck Tone full CW

Neck Vol backed off of full CW maybe about an hour or so

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 This is the best advice. But, since you asked, I typically start with all three wide open, and often leave it that way, though I frequently back off on the bridge vol just until it goes out of humbucking, to get some more midrange punch and cut. It depends on the bass, the amp I am using and the tune.

FWIW, I play over the neck pickup (fingerstyle).

Tom.

13. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    90 percent of the time it is every thing to eleven, but if not that then it is V1=70% V2=95% T=60-80%

14. neck volume = 90 percent
    bridge volume = 75-80 percent
    tone = 40 percent

i play a fretless for my volume volume tone so i look for a deep rich and classic sound but on my ernie ball volume volume tone it varies but mainly high end for rock.

15. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    100% full on

16. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    What does it mean to 'go out of humbucking'??? :confused:

17. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I love the sound of my basses with the tone 75 - 85% to the bottom...brings out the bottom end very nicely. My volumes are almost always equal and wide open.The amp is turned up or down....

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, I am not the best person to ask for the hyper-technical definition, but here is my "perceived differences" explanation. With both pickups full on, they tend to cancel out any noise that they are picking up, but the tone tends to be a tad bit mid-scooped (comparatively speaking, of course), and sort of 'hi-fi' sounding. When you turn down either pickup (leaving the other one full on), you reach a point where this noise cancellation stops (hence my reference to 'out of humbucking', though I observe this behavior on basses with both humbucking and single coil pickups) - and to be clear, you don't always have noise, but when/if you do, the cancellation stops or at least doesn't filter out as much noise as when both pickups are not full on). As you come out of 'humbucking' (as I am defining it, which is probably poorly), you get more midrange presence (the frequency and/or character of which depending on which pickup you turn down, and to a certain extent which pickup you play over).

Now that was convoluted, but hopefully someone else will answer with a more concise definition. :meh:

Tom.

19. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    Ahhh, got it! Good explaination! Yes I notice the sound is unique when both pickups are full or at equal volumes, and then when they're changed the midrange becomes much more present.

Thanks! :)

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    No problem! :)