1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are your setup measurments?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by funkybass, Jul 25, 2012.

1. funkybass

funkybass

Oct 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Just wondering what everyone's setup measurments are. I've read the general guidelines of neck relief at .015, and started there for my sr5, but was getting a lot of fret buzz and notes fretting out abouve the 12th fret on a few strings, so I rasised the bridge saddles a bit, but then my action was too high. I then tightened the truss rod a bit and lowered it without buzz. Final measurements were neck relief at .012, action at 12 th fret 5 32nds at b, 4,32nds on e and a, and 3 32nds on d and g. Maybe not textbook right but it plays well.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

measure your string height from the last fret, not the 12th. I like to follow Jerzy Drozd's guide for the most part, but everybody does their thing a little differently.

I usually go around 1.8mm-ish for my C and around 2.4mm-ish for my B and work it from there. I always use a radius guide to get my strings how they play best.

My relief varies from bass to bass, my Carlin LB76 is around .015"-ish and my Fender P is a little higher, I like to dig in hard.