1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are your "sweet spot" frequencies?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mouthmw, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    What's your tone freq wise?
    Your bass, low and high mids, treble, tweeter (if you use it)?
    I know amps differ with frequencies, so where did you find your tone?

I'm gonna try a more vintagey sound with freqs at 80, 400, 800 hz and 3 khz.

2. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    30-50 hz low end, 100-200hz low mids, 300-600hz mids, 1k presence, 3-4k high metallic sound..

3. Arjank

Arjank

Oct 9, 2007
    Above Amsterdam
    There is no answer one can give here. Every bass has different harmonics which give the instrument it's color. And every amp/loudspeaker combination has it's own frequency response. So I think one can only speak of a bassy, midrangy or twangy sound. It's just to complex to give a correct answer on this question.

4. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I love 100 Hz. I think I could just get by with it alone, forever. Alas, but my Little Mark III has no specific control for it. But, it still sounds great.

5. I always adjust mine for the venue. Different rooms, outdoors, stages with backs or no backs, all require different settings to get a good sound.

6. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Not sure I have an answer for you, but JimmyM is an endorsing artist for Ampeg and the good people at 125 Hz. Need I say more?

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to "no right answer".

FWIW, in a simple 4-band, I get along with the 800rb quite nicely. That's 60, 250, 1000, 4000. The Q's sound wide enough to give musical sounding, not peaky boosts and the treble control is actually set low enough to control the topend of paper cone speakers, not way up in tweeter territory. For a wonderfully laid-out, little more involved but still quite simple and intuitive eq, look at the Baer Valkyrie.

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    Decided against arguing with anyone. ;)

My preferences are roughly as follows:

bass 30-50 hz - normal range
    low mids at 120 - starting to make it sound like an Ampeg! (alternative frequency choice of 250)
    mids (if present) 500-600hz - just a personal preference based on experience - helps tame an overly middy picked P bass
    high mids at 1k - makes a J aggressive and makes the neck J sound more like a middy P
    treble at 4k - I don't like tweeters to go with my overdrive and if I drop this on a bright cab, it's more Ampeg-like!

These numbers seem to play best with me and my taste, across the board of amps.

9. My "preferences" change a lot. I use a 31 band EQ 20-20k [Variable low-cut filter from 10Hz to 250Hz (12dB/octave) Variable high-cut filter from 3kHz to 40Hz (12dB/octave)]. A long with my heads EQ, which includes the bass, mid, treble nobs as well as a 9-band 30-6.6k. The head also has switches to go from 120hz to 55hz (bass) 700hz to 350hz (mids) 3k to 4k hz (highs). Everytime I get a new bass I sit down and rework everything until I get the perfect tone for that bass. IMO one of the best things about playing bass is messing with EQ and searching for that "perfect tone" .

10. Typical TB response to a general question. You're thinking way too hard. What freq's are your sweet spot.....where do you find your tone?

Pretty simple. Me....I like the upper mids and almost always cut around 500k.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Then the correct answer is "it depends". Diffrrent eq for different speaker systems, rooms, basses, musical styles and band mixes. There is no one number fits all.

Hey, at least nobody's said "flat" yet.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I'm sure the bats and whales of the world are appreciative of your EQ'ing choices...:cool:

13. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I always have a lot of low mids (around 200hz) for that rock punch :D

14. Somewhere between ~200-450 Hz is the centre of my bass sound (some call that low mids, I don't care!) ... then there's some nice snap to be found just under 1K ... all the rest is mostly dialed in for the room (too boomy? cut the low end; too harsh? cut the highs...)

15. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    It's true that you have to adjust to the venue. But it's more of a question how low do you like to go, how high do you go and what's your mid preference I guess.
    You can adjust volumes, but you can't always adjust the frequencies when your amp only goes to say 3khz and no lower than 80hz.

16. a nice, clear, punchy 'biamp' tone. a clean pre signal with boosted mids at about 800 to 1k, then drive that with gain, post with clear bass boost and mid cut at 400 to 800 and treble clarity. add deep pickups, a comp, and some aggressive fingers, mmmmmmmmmmmmmtasty :hyper:

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    500Khz...hrrrm. My hearing rolls off around 14khz.

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    100-200, 500-800.

19. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    Somewhere around the 100Hz, 500hz and 1000Hz are the most common areas I play around with .
    I used to scoop out the 250Hz area. Wasted years

20. Jeffrey Wash

Jeffrey Wash Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2011
    Santa Cruz
    HPF between 25 - 30
    Depending on musical context, if I'm looking to boost and/or enhance I usually hone in on these freqs:
    lows 80 - 125
    low mids 220 - 400 (never 300)
    Mids 700 - 800
    High mids 1.5 - 2.3
    Highs 4 - 5.6 - 7.8

I like to keep the Q fairly narrow for the lows and high mids, moderately wide for the rest.