What are your thoughts on CARL RADLE - one of our greatest players or . . . . . .

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 6stringtheorist, Apr 18, 2021.

1. CharleyJackson

CharleyJackson

Oct 29, 2020
    Carl Radle was a fantastic bass player. Always at the right place right time, playing the right notes.

per @JR_Knots
    "He had worked in LA with Leon as a member of the wrecking crew. You can see him on the Ed Sullivan re-runs of Gary Lewis and the Playboys from that era."

Was watching a You Tube video just a few weeks ago re Gary Lewis and Playboys - ancient footage. Just about fell out of my chair w popcorn everywhere when they introduced the band members. Yes, there was the great Carl Radle! Life is amazing. The Leon Russell and Al Kooper connections in the early days of that band project alone is enough to leave one wondering about the Great Wheel of Life.

LBS-bass and J R Knots like this.
  2. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    Carl Radle was a true master. Grateful for all that we have of his work.

jnewmark likes this.
  3. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    First off, I believe Carl's playing on 461 OB and Slowhand cemented him in the ranks of truly great players. The chemistry between him, George Terry, and Jamie Oldaker, both in the studio and live, was amazing.

But I never thought of him much.
    His playing was always spot on...just right there.
    Nothing to criticize, and no over done flashiness to draw attention to himself.
    Just always right there, with the right note, giving the right feel.
    Kinda reminds me of McCartney. ;)

LBS-bass and 6stringtheorist like this.
  4. Playing bass is not a competitive game of best, most, richest, poorest, fastest or loudest and fortunately for most of us certainly not a contest of beauty or grace. Our place is to lay an appropriate foundation and groove and occasionally a bit of self expression if we're lucky.
    Carl Radle was a fine example of the above and we are fortunate to have so many fine records of his playing.

5. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    If you look at the first photo you can clearly see Carl's early Gallien-Krueger rig which they called GMT at that time. The first time I saw Clapton in the summer of '75 Carl had that same set-up going thru two large folded horn bottoms one sporting a bright red decal that said 'Coke, It's the real thing!' ;) His tone was smooth and tight without too much 'boom' thru most likely 18 inch Vega's. Santana was the opening act an incredible show!

Lee Moses, JMacBass65 and J R Knots like this.
  6. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    This it? I understand there was a 600B with double the power as well.

image.jpeg

7. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    One of my favorite Carl Radle recordings is the live Delaney & Bonnie album, with Clapton. He's up front in the mix and masterful.
    In Clapton's autobiography, he states that Radle and Gordon were absolutely the most powerful rhythm section he'd ever worked with. (Hello? Jack and Ginger?? But I know what he meant.)

8. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    It's too bad that both Radle's and Gordon's lives went off the rails:(—Gordon's of course *really* badly. He was supposed to be considered for parole again in March of this year. Don't know the outcome, but I suspect he's not likely to be out ever again.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    6stringtheorist, 2tonic and J R Knots like this.
  9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    And I hope Gordon is getting medical treatment for schizophrenia, and is not merely deposited in a prison cell.

J R Knots likes this.
  10. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    About Whitlock and "Let it Rain"... A few years ago, someone on Facebook was discussing Stills' guitar solo on the song -- the first one, with the dark tone -- and Whitlock surfaced to say emphatically that Still had *nothing* to do with the recording of that song. To me, it sure sounds like Stills on "Wooden Ships." But I have to say that the bass on "Let it Rain" does sound like Radle.

6stringtheorist, jerry and J R Knots like this.
  11. Thank you for posting the pictures JMLEE!!!!
    Not only was Carl one of the first bassists to adopt the GMT (became Gallien Krueger).

He was the main bass tester for the Music Man Stringray bass.

He had an early prototype and used it on 461 Ocean Blvd and that tour.

He mentioned in one interview that he had to give the prototype back and that they would him a new one to replace it. He didn’t want to do that because they were going to destroy the prototype (apparently standard procedure).

Seeing him playing that bass motivated me to purchase one when they came out. I can remember being on a waiting list for one, which worked Ok because it took a little while to save my pennies to get one.

6stringtheorist and jmlee like this.
  12. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I’ve always wondered about, in spite of him being an accomplished player and a Tulsa crony of Leon’s, if that was him on these records, as Wrecking Crew members did do a lot of sessions of songs like this...

Many times they would augment, but not necessarily replace members of, those bands.

No doubt that it was him here...

J R Knots likes this.
  13. I think it’s a valid question on some of the Gary Lewis stuff.

I think Joe Osborn was on at least some of it but Carl was a later part of the Wrecking Crew so who knows what recordings were him.

6stringtheorist likes this.
  14. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Snuff Garrett did use Joe on his productions, and Leon was a part of those, so I’m thinking that Carl was just earning his stripes at the time, climbing the ladder so to speak. I’m sure he wasn’t exactly in love with that kind of bubblegum pop, but a gig’s a gig. There were better gigs to come...

15. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    There was a 1976 Guitar Player interview in which he came across as funny and humble. He mentioned being a little stunned at learning that he came in second, between Charles Mingus and Ray Brown, in a Playboy Jazz & Pop Poll. He said that he imagined one of them calling the other to ask, "Who is this guy?"
    He also talked about the brand new Stingray, and how it *seemed* to him to have more bass AND more treble than a Fender. (Obviously, they did.)
    Other musicians called him "The Professor" because he was knowledgeable about a broad range of subjects and was a bit more mature than most. In the Delaney & Bonnie band, he was the "shop steward" or "union leader."
    For a few years, he seemed to be playing with everybody, and there was a good reason for that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
  16. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    He's in a facility not terribly far from where I live. I didn't hear anything about it but expect I would have, had he been released. The local news would be all over that.

J R Knots likes this.
  17. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    If you do a little digging, the anecdotal stuff from people who were supposedly there suggests that Carl played through the whole song and Stills just added the high-pitched "ding-a-ding, ding-a-ding, ding" part that starts on the fourth beat in the intro and is repeated at various places. That makes sense. Carl Radle played the song. Stills embellished it. Unfortunately the embellishment Stills added is hugely iconic to the song, so he ends up getting all the credit.

18. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    One of my favorite Bass players, and I love his recorded and live tone. I would love to know what he was playing through on the Layla LP. Its my fave studio recorded bass tone. Whitlock goes in to some deatils about the guitar amps, but does not mention anything about Radle's rig, or if he just went direct.

19. consectaneus

consectaneus

Sep 23, 2016
    The Derek and the Dominos album is one of my favorites so that almost by default makes Carl Radle a favorite bass player. Great blues based rock from beginning to end and he is integral to each song. I didn't notice anyone mention Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour memorialized as a film and soundtrack where Leon Russell was the band leader and of course chose Radle.

20. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    A great player, I have enjoyed and studied his work over the decades. Did you know he was in the psych band Colours in late 1960s? I have both Colours albums in my record collection, here's pics of the 1968 debut. 20210420_072932.jpg 20210420_073013.jpg

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021