What are your thoughts on CARL RADLE - one of our greatest players or . . . . . .

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by 6stringtheorist, Apr 18, 2021.

1. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    That sure looks like the head he was using. The cabs on the other hand looked huge to us with the 'COKE' ad pasted to the flat panel across the middle of the two ports. Similar design to the Acoustic 301 but definitely larger. I seem to remember that SUNN made a huge 'W box' for awhile or perhaps he was using PA cabs?

2. 6stringtheorist

6stringtheorist

Apr 3, 2020
    That is a beautiful part that starts off the song but I never felt that anyone but Carl was on that track. Various stories about that album hint that a host of well-known folks showed up to play such as George Harrison and perhaps Dave Mason being two names I was told some years ago. But without a doubt Stills played the bass on the debut CSN album and did a helluva job! Played a left handed P-bass too I think.

J R Knots likes this.
  3. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Not sure if Stills' bass was (is) left-handed or not, but over the years I've kept reading in various places that it's a very ancient P-Bass, and he insists that any bass player he's working with uses it. :smug:

6stringtheorist likes this.
  4. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    I wasn't there, so I don't think I can say for sure. I don't know if anyone has asked Stills about it but with people coming in and out of the studio back then and the way people are about wanting to "improve" everyone else's music all the time, it doesn't seem too far-fetched to me.

Nonetheless, as I think Bobby Whitlock was attempting to later point out, Carl Radle played the lion's share of the song, if not the entire thing. The groove belongs to him.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021