What are your thoughts on Flea's work on the new RHCP album "By The Way"?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by veniceking, Aug 17, 2002.

1. veniceking

Aug 17, 2002
    Hey i bought the new Red Hot Chili Peppers album the other day, "By The Way'. I Love It. Just wanna know others thoughts on the album itself and on Flea's (the bass guitarist) work.
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's ok, but not on my to-buy (or download :D ) list...
    Last RHCP album I bought was Mother's Milk btw.
  3. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    more pop, less funk and less rock.

But i still love it.

It grows on you and you cant get away from it.
    Not fleas best work, but definitely some of antonys best IMHO.

backing vocals i love!
  4. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    some of the songs are kinda weird....
  5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I love the way Flea has matured as a bassist....he plays for the song! I think the Chili's are about songwriting now.......there are too many other bands doing their old style now.....the twackita twackita stuff was getting old and Flea knows it.
  6. I can't remember who said it but they said it best, Flea no longer has to prove anything, and he can just play more simplistic lines that still go so well with the songs.

I agree that it's not his best work, but he's doing what he does best, and that's fit the bass where the bass belongs.
  7. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    i've only heard a few songs from it, but i liked it. it's on my need-to-buy list. :D
  8. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    At first I was kinda disappointed, but it has grown on me tremendously. I love it now! Flea's lines are fine, just what they need to be.The new music is very creative. I really like Can't Stop, On Mercury, Minor Thing, Venice Queen... hell, I like the whole CD!
  9. RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    It's a nice album, Flea was ok. Although I was never a temendous fan of Flea. Yeah, I think they're trying to change the way they sound. That's probably one of the main reasons why Flea played with a pick on their new cd, however, you can get a similiar effect if you use your fingernails. But he was rpobably sick of his own sound by now, so he wanted to try something new, understandable.
  10. punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    he only uses pick on two songs on that cd.
    and he used to use pick a bit too.
  11. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've only heard the title track, so that's the only song I can comment on. I must say, I loved it the second I heard it. I have to agree, I think the Peppers have matured more as songwriters. I like the way the verses are aggresive but the chorus is kind of spacey. I really enjoy Flea's playing on the song. I also dig the fact that he gets a very aggresive tone, while still sounding round and not sounding clanky. (I don't care for the tone of most aggresive sounding bassist for they usually sound to weak and clanky)

I agree though, Anthony has sure come along way.