Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What are your thoughts on Larry LaLonde?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 9, 2003.

1. Ler is Pizzlestains Deluxe (awesome)

36 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. Ler = suck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't heard enough of his work to judge

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. I enjoyed his work with KaRrOt!!!!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    (Primus guitarist)

Brilliant in my opinion. He can make the most insane noises, play floaty ambient keyboard like guitar, and death metal (yup, as most of you know Larry played guitar for Possessed and recorded on the first recorded death metal album ever "Seven Churches"). In most cases, Primus to me Les and Ler are playing almost like one riff together. Their parts blend together so seamlessly. Les will play a riff and Ler can put one note in there and without that one note the song would be totally uninteresting. He has even influenced my bassplaying even though he's a guitarist, but as far as my noise solo project I have going, Ler is an influence.

But some just think he's making a bunch of noise, my dad swears that he sucks (he's a non musician though). Thoughts?

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have performed close about a dozen primus songs in the past 4 years, and I've used the same guitarist every time.

Watching this fledgling guitarist go through the learning process for a lot of ler's licks and lines, it really made me appreciate his playing a lot more.

while it's not the most crazy or technically amazing, or even the most coherent ;) it more than fits the songs just as les' whacky slop style fits the songs.

that's the nice thing about primus really, that they have such strange styles and what-not, but it still works to create some rockity rocking stamps. dig?

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've always thought of him as a great player. Most of his rhythm playing is insane if you take it out of context. I'll be seeing him this Wednesday-can't wait.

4. Unarguably, Ler would probably be one of the best/my favorite guitarists of all time. The man can just do it all. He is like Les in that he just keeps on reaching into his bag of tricks to pull out even more bags of tricks. If you check around somewhere in the forums, I talked about my Primus experience on the third gig of their Tour De Fromage bit...I met him which was even more amazing. We just talked about stuff and I got to shake his hand. That was awesome. When I saw him play it was even more awesome...He knows when to play and when not to - a rule I believe all guitarists should follow (probably one of the most hard things to do is to know when to keep quiet). Just brilliant.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think Ler is great, but I think Buckethead would be a better match for Primus. He was great in Col. Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains.

6. Right now... I think he is amazing, and I can see why bass players call him an influence... I will post again on Wednesday, because tomorrow I am making the trek up to Columbus to see the boys (Les, and Ler... and Herb of course) in action. I can't wait, will have a more thoughtful opinion Wed. ;)

7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Larry is awsome. His solo's are wacky, crazy, and sound really good!! A lot of people I know, and guitarists, kind of give him crap for not stealing the show like most guitarists try to do I guess :( :rolleyes:. When Les and Tim are playing crazy riffs and beats, Ler comes in and adds a lot of rythm to it.
    He's awsome!!

8. I always thought Ler was unique...it sounds like most of his licks/fills are bases on some exotic scales...maybe the modes of harmonic minor (is that the one w/the min 3rd? I always get melodic minor and harmonic minor mixed up).

I never really heard anyone play like that before.

I heard that he took lessons from Satch for a number of years.

9. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I haven't studied him, actually...
    but I think he and Les work very well together.

10. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think he's one of the greatest out there. He and Morello are probably 2 of the only guitarist from the 90's that truly pioneered a totally unique sound.

The only thing that aggravates me is Lalonda wasn't listed as one of the 100 most influencial guitarist of all time in the last Guitar Magazines.
    :mad: No big deal I guess but I feel he's always been looked over.

11. Ler Rocks! I never payed much attention till I saw Primus for the first time. I thought what he was doing live was perfect for the overall Primus sound. FIXER mentioned Tom Morello, I sure would like to hear Claypool and Morello rock out together that would be some sweet shiat.

12. I think Ler is one of the best guitarists off all time. Right next to SRV and Hendrix. What amazed me when I first heard a primus album was not what he was playing, it was the fact that he wasn't playing period. He knows when and when not to play. It's a concept almost no guitarists can rap their heads around.

13. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I love his playing! I've seen him play live twice. He's VERY underrated! I love how Les introduces him as about 4 different guitarists.
    "Ladie and gentlemen, Ler Santana, and Ler Van Halan, Ler Young, Ler Ray Vaughn......"
    And then Ler proceeds to play their licks!

14. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    heh....Ler lalonde: the bassist's guitarist

:p

15. Mikemike

Mikemike Miscreant

Jun 18, 2002
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Actually, Tom Morello guests on "Electric Uncle Sam" and "Mama Didn't Raise no Fool" on the primus album The Antipop.

16. I will definitely check out the Antipop. Thanks.

Everyday I learn something new, and I'm an old guy.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Primus (both individually and as a whole) aren't as brilliantly outside-the-box as, say, Captain Beefheart's Magic Band. That said, Primus is more creative and innovative than the vast majority of rock bands these days. I give the guys very high marks: they work well together, and nobody else sounds like them.

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah ;);)

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Anybody else remember that Lalonde used to play with death metal pioneers Possessed (Seven Churches)?

:p

[EDIT] Oops, I somehow overlooked that part in your post Matt :D