What are your thoughts on Polyphia?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Viper617, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Viper617

Viper617

Sep 11, 2018
    Hi all,

I haven’t posted here in a while, but I would like to ask the members of talk bass what their opinions on the progressive trap-rock band polyphia are. Listening to them was a really eye opening experience to me as an artist and helped me realize that incorporating elements of hip hop in pop in our music isn’t against the rules or any less impressive. In fact I’d argue some of the live 808 inspired drum rhythms polyphia incorporate on a real kit are extremely difficult compared to regular rock drumming. They’ve also got an incredible bass player who essentially had to invent a way to do really fast triplet deadnotes with this crazy “hybrid slapping” technique.

I know talk bass has a generally older aged population and I was intrigued if anyone here has even heard of them, since they’re absolutely tearing it up right now and are being featured on pop records like “Lalala” by Bbno$ and Yung Bans album “Misunderstood”. I think that these guys have a genuine chance of bringing back guitar and I was wondering what the average opinion on talk bass would be on this new progressive-trap-rock sub genre they’ve created.

Danny

2. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I saw them a few years ago when they opened for Coheed and Cambria. They weren't bad. I enjoyed them, but overall they aren't my cup of tea.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Never heard of them before but will give a listen. I like most things prog.

4. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Fantastic band. They sometimes remind me of King Crimson in their prime, updated with fresh elements. Along with Black Midi, the most interesting rock sound in years.

knumbskull likes this.
  5. juggahnaught

juggahnaught

Feb 11, 2018
    Seattle, WA
    They are awesome. Really love their track "Culture Shock" on Renaissance.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

This may be generational, but I would only listen to them for about 30 seconds before changing to something else. They seem to be musically adept but not at all the kind of thing I like to listen to.

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    I am not into anything that called a sub genre. :woot:

8. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Surprise, AZ
    The only band I recognize in this thread thus far is King Crimson...

- John

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

:laugh:

i just checked them out --- thanks for the introduction! --- they're great! a real pleasure to listen to something new!

i'm also easily impressed with great players: and they sure are that! i like 'em...just as you described. thanks for the 'referral'. :thumbsup:

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    I have. I have a younger musical acquaintance who is super into them. And I’ve put some time into checking them out and listening to what they had to say in some interview segments.

Let’s just say I came away considerably less impressed by what I heard and saw than he was. But since I don’t want to get accused of picking on them, or being “too old to get it,” I’ll let my critique go unvoiced and simply say I sincerely wish them every success with their band. Always good to see newer bands picking up the baton and entering the arena.

Double E likes this.
  11. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Good stuff... proof that live instrumentation is not dead. Young kids using actual instruments to create music and with excellent technical and musical dexterity.

I prefer their earlier releases but they are evolving which is also a good thing.