1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What are your Top Five favorite Guitar, Bass, Drums Power Trio's?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tony In Philly, May 17, 2018.

1. Tony In Philly

Tony In Philly Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Included in this can be a trio fronted by a lead singer (ala Black Sabbath and The Who) or a bassist that doubles on keys (ala Rush and Led Zep)

I'll start with mine:
    1) Cream
    2) Hendrix (including both The Experience and Band of Gypsies)
    3) Rush
    4) Flash (lead by ex-Yes guitarist Peter Banks - obscure but I'm kind of a Yes nut)
    5) Mountain (once they stripped themselves down and Leslie West got his way)

For what it's worth I like and respect Led Zep, The Who, and Black Sabbath but I can't listen to them for hours on end. I'm sure there are many more so let me know where I'm going wrong.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Petrus1849, zon6c-f, Charlzm and 4 others like this.
  2. no need for a list:

motorhead-phil-taylor.

Swerve, Nefarius696, Eric66 and 18 others like this.
  3. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Oooops - yes...I forgot. I do have a few CD's by them and I am a big fan of Lemmy's playing.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. G-Z

G-Z

Apr 13, 2018
    Oz
    For me, currently, Haymaker

The Jam, X (Australia), Evil Conduct, Motorhead are others that come to mind.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Free! Pound for pound one of the best rock bands ever. For new instrumental trios, Oz Noy's bands are not far from my CD player.

6. 1 Rush
    2 Zep
    3 Sabbath
    4 The Record Company
    5 Woody-era Mule

7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Sorry, but if you want power trio, I gotta stick with a true trio...every player giving it their all to fill in the spaces; an added vocalist takes too much pressure off the others, and if there's much jamming involved, there tends to be a lot of screeching on the part of the front person to justify their existence, not to mention the potential for some horrible harmonica work. Alrighty, then...

The Groundhogs...a criminally overlooked UK outfit that were certainly blues based, but ventured into proggy territory.
    While they started as a typical blues-obsessed beat combo(even backing up John Lee Hooker on a British tour much in the same way as The Yardbirds worked with Sonny Boy Williamson), they reorganized and emerged in the post Cream landscape as a tough three-piece unit. Here's a couple of their more stellar tracks...

Taste...the band that first brought Rory Gallagher to the world's attention...

James Gang...sure, a no-brainer, but it shows that the Yanks could bring it to the table...

Uh, you want power? You want trio? While it can be eternally debated where metal started, these guys were contenders, building on the Cream/Hendrix format, but leaving the peace'n'love vibes of their environment behind, and whipped out not only MDMA-fueled proto-sludge, but laid the groundwork for grunge as well, the architects of stoner rock. Possibly the first US band to use Marshall stacks, you've heard the hit enough, here are my favorite deep cuts...

Another band that never got their due, the guitarist Richie Wise went on to help develop Kiss, bassist Kenny Aaronson became a journeyman session/road guy, and drummer Marc Bell eventually transformed into Marky Ramone...

Love me Hard - Dust
    DUST - Dust/Hard Attack Trailer

Honorable mention to Sir Lord Baltimore...
    Sir Lord Baltimore - Kingdom Come

and Gun/Three Man Army...
    Gun - Race With The Devil (Album Version) - HD
    (love that riff)

OK, did I leave anybody out? Oh, yeah, Dino, Desi, and Billy.

8. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Arrgh - How could I have forgotten the Groundhogs on my list? I have most of their albums. They were amazing. Best Prog Blues/Rock band ever.

9. dbbltime

dbbltime

Oct 5, 2014
    NRH, Texas
    Just able to add one more. That would be Grand Funk RR.

Phud, ELG60, Flabass and 8 others like this.
  10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    1. The Who (Live at Leeds is, IMO, the definitive power trio album.)
    2. Hendrix Experience/Band of Gypsies
    3. Led Zeppelin
    4. Rush
    5. RHCP (Saw them in a small club at height of their powers. Best show I've ever seen, easily.)

The first four are clear choices for me, but that fifth slot could have gone to several bands, like Alice in Chains, The Police, and Husker Du. I would have given it to Soundgarden, but I think Chris Cornell played just enough guitar on stage to disqualify them as a power trio.

12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Oops! Top Five:

1. Hendrix
    2. Rush
    3. Zep
    4. Who
    5. Cream

13. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    The Minutemen
    fIREHOSE
    The Jam
    RUSH
    Husker Du

Squittolo, TheMinutemen, PWV and 10 others like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

None really.

Pop, rock and blues genre power trios either sound too “busy” or too anemic for my tastes. I always felt a quintet was the sweet spot for band staffing.

No diss on trios. They’re just not my thing.

15. trofud

trofud

Mar 28, 2018
    Montreal, Canada
    In no particular order: Rush for obvious reasons - Reverend Horton Heat - The John Mayer thing with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino - Emerson Lake & Palmer - Primus - Tea Party - Triumph - Them Crooked Vultures.

16. mark roberts

mark roberts Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    You made this easy. All the same for me.
    ....and #6---Robin Trower

Charlzm, NigelD, SpyderX and 2 others like this.
  17. Genomatic2

Genomatic2

Mar 3, 2017
    Band o Gypsys Jimi
    Rush
    Primus
    The Aristocrats
    Animals as Leaders

Charlzm and Tony In Philly like this.
  18. Tony In Philly

Oct 25, 2007
    Filthydelphia, USA
    Thanks for reminding me!
    That's why I did this thread - so I could see who I should have added to make it Top Ten or Top Fifteen for that matter!

19. onamission

onamission Supporting Member

1 Rush, Incredible the amount of good material
    2 Zep, John Paul is my favorite all round musician.
    3 Grand Funk Railroad, Thanks Mel
    As far as power trios, the above had extremely long careers and produced a lot of great material with no personnel changes.