1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What arre your current distractions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MatticusMania, Jan 5, 2012.

1. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    TalkBass has always been a bit of a distraction for me. Im mostly logged in while at work at the office, and sometimes I spend time on here when I should probably be working.

That said, I get my job done in a timely manner, always ahead of schedule, and can focus more when I have deadlines coming up that I know I need to meet.

TB is just one, though, and usually a constant one, at least while Im at work.

So, other than TB, what distractions do you face currently that are keeeping you from doing otherwise productive things with your time?

For me, right now, Texas Hold'em on my smart phone, playing with people online. Normally during my breaks at work Im reading a book, but the poker game has been calling.

How about you guys (and girls)?

2. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    TB, a Moto Guzzi forum that's more a political discussion board than a motorcycle forum, and, though I would never say this where she could possibly find out about it, my wife. I love her dearly but she's the kind of woman that will call three times from the grocery store in the span of ten minutes...

3. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    TB
    Facebook
    AudioKarma
    Gearslutz (when I'm GASsing for recording gear)

I'm usually IM'ing with my wife throughout the day, too.

4. TB
    Facebook
    Designing stuff in my head
    News

lowsound

5. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My wife tends to distract me as well.
    Not with phone calls or texts, but more just in general.
    I tend not to get things done when we're both at home hanging out together.
    Even if we arent really doing anything but watching TV I find it hard to get away from her.

6. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Sounds like our wives are pretty similar. Mine definitely requires a lot of interaction which means I rarely have truly uninterrupted time to do anything if she's present. It's difficult to get more than snatches of reading in.

7. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Most of my time is taken up by hatred. Whether that is a distraction is a matter of perception.

8. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    TB is about it. Actually, the internet in general is about it. So much stuff to read up on it's unreal.

9. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    pr0n

10. TB

Facebook
    texting a chick
    troubleshooting Bogen tube amps(one NEEDS a recap before it kills someone)
    watching Family Guy

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    TB
    Ilovefuzz
    Facebook

12. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    So much pr0n, not enough bodily fluids.

13. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    [​IMG]

14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    TB
    Reading Bass clef
    FINALE Notebook
    IIB ,Cliff Engel stuff

15. just had the score for a musical land on my desk, and a bunch of tour dates in April

so right now my diary and this sheet music are big distractions

16. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Two R's

It's distracting as hell.

17. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Oh yeah, gotta add Skyrim to that list as well.

18. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I need to veer into oncoming TB traffic for my current distraction.

It's Bass.

I'm waiting on a new to me 5 string. I'm going to try one on for size and see how it feels. I've been practicing enough now that I'm getting pretty fluid up and down the neck and feel relaxed and pretty natural ad-libbing while playing along to songs. It's not always right to my ear, but it's what I meant to do and that's what's important right now I guess.

now for your regularly scheduled OT stuff.

Co writing a book with a friend. We've got a decent amount of material and back ground info on our main characters developed and now we're fleshing out geographical and technological details. I'm doing research into building a working language as well. THAT has been HARD but so interesting. I'm on the fence whether it's worth it.

For Christmas I bought my daughter Skylanders... I had NO idea the money pit this game was going to be. It's insane. She wanted it though, and as daddy's little girl... it was my sworn duty as a pinky wrapped papa to get it for her :) She and I have been playing that. It's been a blast kicking booty with her.

19. Bo_H

Bo_H

Jul 2, 2004
    iPhone.

Such a time waste. But fun!!!

20. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Right now I'm distracted by my upcoming move. I'm also tempted to say my nephews, but spending time with them is time well spent. Oh, and the biggest distraction of them all: work.