What attributes do you seek most in a cabinet purchase?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phendyr_Loon, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Power handling: play small venues/ rock an auditorium

61 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. Size: small footprint/ top drivers at ear level

32 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Weight: Back muscle conscience/ plenty of room in the van

53 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Number of drivers: the more the louder/ a good design with fewer

14 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Carrots, just carrots

46 vote(s)
    30.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Since joining TB I've been able to experience all difference types of cabinets, which has given me a lot of insight on MY ideal cabinet.

Ive seen cabinets of all shapes, sizes, and built with various materials and techniques to fit my criteria for this poll.

I think I've covered all the "bases" of ideal cabinet features, number of drivers could be many or few, and buying 2 210's with the intent of vertical stacking ( for example), is a viable senerio for a "small footprint" rig.

This is meant to cover both ends of the spectrum from small gigs to arena size venue players. I've omitted a "tone" option for various reasons including that it's too subjective per opinion.

2. fourfinger

fourfinger

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    I went for the vertical stack-small footprint, a-la Mesa Walkabout w/extension cab. nice setup and fits in the trunk.

3. BrBss

BrBss

Jul 9, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Where's the option for "tone"?!

4. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Carrots, just carrots!

5. Like sound, can lift w/o blowing my O-ring & can afford.

6. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Yeah, this.

The chief reason I play the cabs I do is because I think they sound good. My big one also happens to be ear splittingly loud, if I want it to be, so there's that, too. And the top driver is closer to my ears than in a lot of cabs. It's also really really heavy, though, and has a large footprint.

7. Silver9692

Silver9692

Aug 17, 2011
    California
    Carrots

8. dhomer

dhomer Commercial User

Apr 9, 2009
    Hickory Corners, MI
    Owner, Gigmaster Soundworks, Auth. greenboy designs builder, MI
    It has to deliver the tone I want at the volume I need. It used to been size and weight were not huge considerations.. tone is everything.. Fortunately perfection is now available in a smaller footprint.. fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys

9. The sound. One and only.

10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Weight issues and drivers closer to my ears. Pretty much get the tone from the amp, but being an easy schlepp and being able to hear myself onstage is #1. My compromise ( there is no free lunch ) is an LDS 212/horn cab, all vertically aligned and raised on a 12" tall riser.

11. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Oppps! I've fixed the OP though originally meant to clarify why "tone" doesn't exsist as a poll option. Here are a few reasons behind my choice;

Tone is way too much of an opinion, where as weight and size are comparable physical traits of cabinets. Plus I didn't want a thread full of what everyone's ideal tone is.

I don't know too many bassist that will buy a bad sounding cabinet, but folks will sacrifice portability for number of drivers (ex. 810's), or will choose light weight over power handling (ex. mini rigs).

Just for an example from me, I generally use my ideal rig for practice and small gigs. So I aire on the side of small a footprint and lightweight (to save my back). Which by effect also filters out my desire/need for high wattage handling and a large number of drivers.

12. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    it should reproduce everything from my fundamental to the metallic zing. (30hz-10khz)

13. John Webb

John Webb Guest

Apr 20, 2006
    Tone?? Is tone the major consideration?

Cost??

14. Liam Wald

Liam Wald Supporting Member

May 17, 2011
    California Coast
    Another vote for tone. To me finding "the sound" I like is the most important thing.

15. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I considered price too. But much like tone, it is far from a fair comparison. Mainly because cabinets are sold used at varying price points. Only these physical attributes will remain constant for this poll to be concise.

16. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Yes, tone is a personal opinion, but why would I buy an unltra lightweight vertical 410 rig with 20,000W power handling if it sounded like crap? I would much rather lug around the heaviest 8x15 cab in the world if it got me the tone I was looking for.

17. I voted carrots - I look for the tone I want *first* when selecting a cabinet, all other optimizations or compromises come after that.

18. JP Morin

JP Morin

Mar 15, 2011
    Quebec
    Yes... after carrots and tone first, I check for the power... But it must sounds good first...

19. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Ideally, it's a combination of all those attributes you mention.

20. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    For me , a speaker should reproduce as close as possible what's thrown at it. Having to buy a speaker cab now , I would listen to a well recorded CD through it and the one that sound better I'd buy.

As for the choices of answers , for me it's (all as important):
    -Size
    -Weight
    -Fidelity
    -power
    -Ability to put at ear height

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021