What attributes do you seek most in a cabinet purchase?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phendyr_Loon, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Power handling: play small venues/ rock an auditorium

61 vote(s)
    39.9%
  2. Size: small footprint/ top drivers at ear level

32 vote(s)
    20.9%
  3. Weight: Back muscle conscience/ plenty of room in the van

53 vote(s)
    34.6%
  4. Number of drivers: the more the louder/ a good design with fewer

14 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. Carrots, just carrots

46 vote(s)
    30.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I personally can deal with say , low end roll off or less SPL for a stage rig and lean toward compact and high power handling .

2. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    Again, things like tones and price are variables.

My motive behind this poll is to collect enough data to maybe make a "sticky" for the "which cab?" noob questions like "I have this head, play these gigs, and these are my limitations/preferences (ie small car, bad back, need to compete with guitar stacks).

I feel that these poll results in correlation with everyone's individual intended use, will be an asset to noobs and be more helpful than the many threads of folks jumping in and offering their opinion on cabs with tone and price as a variable since tone and affordability are not the same for everyone.

So a noob can see that "hey this dude on TB plays small clubs like me and these are the attributes that he most values in a cab because of these reasons", without the bias of tone or price.

This will be a starting point for a noob and will save TBer's and his time by avoiding another "which cab" thread, and will also save a noobs time and money in getting the right cab the first time.

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    All Of The Above

4. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Tone and weight. I find most competent cabs are able to deliver the amount of bass I need, so I go more for the definition of the tone. IME, I've had trouble discerning the pitch of my own notes through some cabs when playing in a band mix. Weight is also a concern too obviously.

5. A combination of everything.

In order: tone, weight, price, size, reputation and brand loyalty.

GK Neo 410.

6. butcher

butcher

May 24, 2011
    Carrots... because sound/tone wasn't an option.

7. wideload

wideload

Apr 15, 2004
    Salinas, CA
    Its all about moving air. That's why I play through a Tanaka 65cc Power Blower!

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    You forgot a very important option: TONE.

9. That's it for me too.

10. I want it to reproduce things that only whales and dogs can hear (5 hz - 50 khz) :smug:

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I look for cabs based on three things:

1. How close they sound to the Ampeg 810

2. How close they sound to the Ampeg B-15 cabs from the 60's

3. How bright they get with the tweeter turned off

Consequently, all my cabs are Ampegs or vintage reproductions ;)

12. I need small size (Limited space) but i also need a good amount of volume and adequate power handling (150w per driver minimum) which is why i'm going to go and get two 2x10 cabs with about 400w handling each and the highest SPL i can get later this month. Not going to be vertically stacking them, as i don't trust it with my rack case on top, so i'll be finding something suitable to raise them up a few feet with thats just as portable.

Liam

13. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Actually, canine hearing drops off at about 40 hz. It goes up very very high, though, into the 40-50 khz range.

14. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

That would be an epic cab.

15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Haha. Indeed

16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 That would have been my vote.

17. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Hmmm bizarre poll.
    My #1 priority in a cab is tone tone tone.
    Size & weight prolly tie for 2nd. It has to fit in my vehicle in the 1st place and I have to be able to lift it myself. I don't give a rat's @$$ as far as # of drivers & power handling.

18. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    For me I have to be able to carry it by myself . If I have to carry it down stairs at home I want to be able to handle that .That eliminates a lot of cabs . Next it has to fit in the trunk of my 06 Honda Accord .

After that it is tone . These days there are tons of cabs that can handle any gig I would do and still be portable and sound great . I know most guys are saying tone first but if I can't lug it around myself I can't use it and these days you don't have to sacrifice tone for size .

19. Since I play in a 12 piece Funk band, most stages are pretty tight, and hearing myself clearly without asking the sound engineer to put me up in the monitors is important.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 25, 2021