What backing band would you most like to play in?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 17, 2005.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Just started watching this Diana Krall DVD I got tonight (Live in Paris) and a thought occured to me -- how freakin' SWEET would it be to play in her band? I don't know about the guitar player, but the drummer is apparently her regular drummer (and he pulled off one wicked solo in the first track). Also, I knew she was a great singer, but DAMN! I didn't know she had piano chops like that! I'd definitely like most to play in her backing band...lots of great basslines, playing in a band with such phenomenal talent (especially if the guitarist stayed on!) and with such a stunningly beautiful frontwoman...hell, why not? Great music, great performances, great pay, and great venues.

What about y'all? Now, this is a BACKING band, so you'd be backing someone specific (singer, guitarist, trumpeter, whatever) but it doesn't have to be jazz, the name on the CD should just be the name of the iconic leader.
  2. I'd like to have David Dyson's old gig in Me'Shell N'Degeocello's band. Man, can she play, and she always takes a second bassist with her on tour as well. A gig like that is basically a guarantee of night after night of funky, improvisational jams with smoking players - Me"shell is known for letting her songs stretch out into long jams, so it wouldn't get stale.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    sarah macglaughlin's (how bad did i butcher her name?)
    just cause i think she is da bomb
    actually just about any femele singer would be cool. not that it's my favorite type of music but i've had a blast every time i've played with female vocalists. besides, riding the coattails of some famous gal sounds like a sweet gig. Travel, money, and a good view from where i'll be standing. :D
  4. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
    Tony Bennett.

Or Stevie Wonder.
  5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Peter Gabriel. Tony Levin has the greatest gig with him, IMO. Great material, creative basslines, lots of space, just the absolute dream gig.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Richard Thompson or Lucinda Williams...whoever phones me first :p
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Honestly, no one. I rode the bus enough with a famous band to know that I don't dig that life.
  8. Roberto

Dec 24, 2004
  9. Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.

Yea what about Rhonda?
  10. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    THE JBs :hyper:

HIT me! :bassist:
  11. Believe it or not............Yanni
  12. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I don't believe it! :p

13. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Chris Botti, Harry Connick, Jr., or B.B. King...with my apologies to their excellent regular bassists who are far more famous than I.
  15. I would love to replace Nathan East with Mr. Clapton.
  16. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
  17. Robert Plants band, Ive seen them live and those guys really rock, they sit there and jam forever, its great. Skin is also a badass guitarist.
  18. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ashlee Simpson; so I can play the wrong song(s).

Really though, Jeremy Camp; I just dig the music man.
  19. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    OT: Hey Page....get ready for a new album and tour soon! :hyper:
  20. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    From what I hear, Diana Krall is a B-I-T-C-H to work with.

Nathan East has a sweet gig. Fourplay, Clapton, studio, etc.

For upright - I'd love to play with Tony Bennett or in a big band - maybe Harry Conick Jr., something like that.