1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What band changed the way you look at music for you?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bkim, Jun 28, 2007.

1. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    For me..The Clash

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Original Van Halen, early Rush.

3. Great choice, but ... how and why?

C'mon, extrapolation required, methinks! :smug:

4. Scarlet Fire

Scarlet Fire

Mar 31, 2007
    New England
    Rush, for sure. I never really thought of rock in such intricate terms before.

5. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Nirvana

6. bkim

bkim

Apr 28, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    In jr High many moons ago, my best friend went mod (army jacket, scooter-except he didn't have a scooter, etc.) and he accused me of being a dinosaur (Sabbath, AC/DC, Zeppelin). After that we didn't talk for a couple of years and then in highschool I started listening to the Clash and I just couldn't stop. The rawness, the Dub with Mikey Dread, the energy. The fact that it was kind of stripped down blue collar music, but it was still creative (Sandanista ids one of my favorite albums). Some of the other punk back then was good--but so many were one sound bands--not Strummer and the Clash!

7. labgnat

labgnat Inactive

Oct 29, 2005
    outta this world
    Primus, they used to rock my insignificant world

8. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    Rush
    Stereolab
    Julieta Venegas

9. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    Pink Floyd... my dad took me to see The Wall concert at Earls Court and Roger Waters changed my life...

10. For me, it would have to be New Order. I pretty much grew up with the likes of Blue Monday, True Faith and that kinda stuff. I never really took too much notice though until I was 12 and got heavily into synth-pop and electronica. New Order's mix of synths, guitars and the unforgettable basslines of Peter Hook really got to me. The energy of the music really got to me, the lyrics were weird, wonderful and even funny at times. Each song was recognisable right from the start of the song and each was different.
    The main POV that Bernard Sumner et al. changed was that I realised that guitars and synths mix, or any 'standard' instrument and synths for that matter. This helped me discover great bands like Kraftwerk a little later on, and understand their music too.
    I was encouraged as well by NO's music to listen to Joy Division, their previous incarnation. I'm not even going to describe how mind-blown I was.
    It was also Peter Hook who cemented my love of bass. Even as a little kid, his bass playing always attracted me more than anything else. I've just learnt the Blue Monday basslines and I feel kinda good I can emulate one of my bass heroes.

Here's a (bad) picture of New Order. Peter Hook is the one on the far right.

new_order_01.jpg

11. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    [​IMG]

12. I'm going to say Led Zep. I was about 10 or 11. Before I heard Dazed and Confused, rock and roll was just like background music to me. I then realized that the individual musicians were each doing something amazing. Hearing their first album was like a smack in the face!! Blues, hard rock, accustic even folk, all hit me like a ton of bricks all at once.

13. Pennywise got me into punk, like Bad Religion, Dead Kennedys, etc. Bad Religion, in turn, got me into AFI. AFI was a big launch pad into screamo and bands of the genre like Thursday, who was huge when I was finishing high school. Minor Threat was another band I discovered thanks to them.

Rush also had a big impact on me. I got into a lot of prog rock thanks to them.

14. rjny36

rjny36

Jan 29, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    Louis Armstrong, when I was 11.

15. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I saw Emerson Lake and Palmer when I was a music Major in college, it fused classical and rock in a way I had never seen or heard.

Frank Zappa crushed any further boundaries between "classical" and "pop" music with reckless abandon.

Finally, King Crimson and Robert Fripp re-formed the way I perceive music and sound as a whole. His Guitar Craft ideals have been a major influence in my improvisation.

16. :eyebrow: Are you writing to us from 1979?

;)

17. :meh: Shame they discovered Ecstasy and Ibiza, really!

18. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    The Don Ellis Orchestra

Live at Fillmore
    Tears of Joy
    "The French Connection" - film score

A whole 'nother way of thinking/making music . . .

I learned a LOT in those 2 years . . .

19. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    MCR and red jumpsuit apparatus.

i never knew music could be so..... sad. :crying:

20. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Charlie Mingus for me, because of the song Peggy's Blue Skylight from Epitaph. Why? Because it's the most original and creative jazz I've ever heard.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021