Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What band is this?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Cornbread, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    My father's been trying to remember a 1970's rock band that had two bass players. I haven't had any luck finding any information, but maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. Any takers?

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Sorry,I'm not into 70's rock that much...But this topic reminded me of a greek black metal band,and I thought I'd mention it in case anyone was interested.They are called Necromantia,anyone into black metal probably knows them,and they play with a 4-string bass and an 8-string,and NO guitars,except for some solos...great band IMO.

3. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Unfortunately I don't know the name of any of their songs or albums. My father said he heard them on the radio, so they were probably popular for a time. I'll try to find out more info.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If he only heard them on the radio, how does he know they had two bassists and it wasn't just overdubbing or whatever - synth, doubled guitar etc.?

There was another thread which listed all the bands with 2 bassists - if you search for this you can go through it. Th only ones I remember were Delta 5 and Ned's Atomic Dustbin, but I'm not sure they weren't 80s rather than 70s bands.

5. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    ummm... Spinal Tap had one great song called "Big Bottom" ("...talk about mud flaps, my gal's got 'em...") in which, appropriately enough, they used THREE basses.

Maybe that's not what the old man had in mind...

6. DIXIE DREGGS

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Awesome! Are you sure about that? Tell me more about em. I'll run that by the old man later.
    Thanks.

8. no way, they dregs had two bass players on their last tour, last year, but before that it was the one and only andy west.

9. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    I think you're right. I couldn't find any information about they're "second" bassist, and my father said it's not them. I give up.

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Didn't Dave LaRue play for the Dixie Dreggs, at least in one of their incarnations? Not in the seventies, but at some time in the early nineties or late eighties.

JO

11. yep he replaced andy west, then on the tour last year andy west came back and the both swapped for songs. there were a couple of songs on the tour that they would both play. couldn't imagine how nice it would have been to see both dave and andy on stage at the same time. :D

12. they had two bassists, dave larue and some other dude, they only time they played together though was on last years tour, check out the BP article a couple months ago, i think they may be on the web site, yea it is, look under "artists" halfway down the page. good article if i dont say so myslef.